News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

That random picture in my presentation

Started by SPQR, March 06, 2011, 02:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

The website where I discovered this labeled it as "November 2, 1922. Washington, D.C. "Girls' rifle team, Central High."

I really like it for a lot of reasons.  First, they are on the football field.  not only that, but I believe they may be using it as more than just a picture location.  you will note that other ladies with rifles are waiting in the upper right hand corner.  this leads me to believe that they shot here or very near here.  Second, this country used to produce trophies for competitions that were cool enough you might actually WANT to win it instead of waiting around for a "participation" trophy.  Third, they ain't foolin.  look at the rifles.  Look at the gal third from the right.  She ain't takin no S#!+ off of nobody.  The Krauts are lucky we didn't send her or they would still be singing Yankee Doodle Dandy. 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Mudcat

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

AuntieBellum

I do love that picture.  So very much.  Good find.   ^:)^
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

colycat

Everyone aught to see this picture.  It speaks volumes about what we were and what Appleseed is trying to re- establish.

A NATION OF RIFLEMAEN!!!!

OOPS
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

TBE

Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Castle Mountain

There is not a man among those woman, therefore they cannot be called a nation of rifleman (-riflemen-)
Old Glory get the clown bat out and bop him one will ya> **)

Here is my take on this splendid image....... :) amazing how images give me ideas.

Cheers,

CM

Quote from: colycat on March 06, 2011, 10:37:33 AM
Everyone aught to see this picture.  It speaks volumes about what we were and what Appleseed is trying to re- establish.

A NATION OF RIFLEMAN!!!!
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Rimshot

I like where you're going, CM.  In the interest of neutrality and simplicity I'd suggest a top text block reading something like "Marksmanship is the Heritage of ALL Americans. Come recover your heritage." Then the website at the bottom.  I'm not sure it fits in with the current national promo theme but unless there are legal issues to using it this could make a good forum sig or local flyer image.
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

colycat

Mankind is gender neutral, Just as rifleman is.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

techres

I was thinking of this pic & a ladyseed pic side by side with some kind of good tagline:

"Returning Riflewomen to Their Place - Shooting."

"They had Home Ec & Rifle Club, Today there is only Home Ec.  Except at Appleseed..."

"Grandma did it, we help her Grandaughter do the same."

Or something way, way better and vetted by some of our Riflewomen first.

This might be the right picture for the letter to the women's studies department!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

SPQR

Good point, Tech.  looks like the old testosterone bomb has some work to do...
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

AuntieBellum

Quote from: colycat on March 06, 2011, 02:00:18 PM

I with colycat on this one.  Humankind=mankind=man.  Rifleman is gender neutral.  The fact that we pluralize the word by making it riflemen is actually a problem with the English language more than anything.  Rifleman should, in effect, work more like deer - both singular and plural, but we'd sound like we don't know proper grammar (even it it would be more correct).  ;)  My patch says RIFLEMAN not RIFLEWOMAN.  ;)

Note: If you'd like more info, I'd be happy to drag out my old English lecture notes.   >:D

yellowhousejake

I had seen the picture before but I cannot find where, do you have a URL for it?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

SPQR

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

TBE

Quote from: AuntieBellum on March 06, 2011, 04:38:11 PM

I with colycat on this one.  Humankind=mankind=man.  Rifleman is gender neutral.  The fact that we pluralize the word by making it riflemen is actually a problem with the English language more than anything.  Rifleman should, in effect, work more like deer - both singular and plural, but we'd sound like we don't know proper grammar (even it it would be more correct).  ;)  My patch says RIFLEMAN not RIFLEWOMAN;)

When I see your patch, it says "I know what I am about"!
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Patriot Gal

I believe what CM was referring to was the need to have the term "Rifleman" be in the plural form of "Riflemen".
No gender innuendos intended or implied.   ;)

"A Nation of Riflemen"

BTW, I love the picture!  O0

Patriot Gal
Rifleman 06-09
ISRA

I with colycat on this one.  Humankind=mankind=man.  Rifleman is gender neutral.  The fact that we pluralize the word by making it riflemen is actually a problem with the English language more than anything.  Rifleman should, in effect, work more like deer - both singular and plural, but we'd sound like we don't know proper grammar (even it it would be more correct).  ;)  My patch says RIFLEMAN not RIFLEWOMAN.  ;)

Note: If you'd like more info, I'd be happy to drag out my old English lecture notes.   >:D
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

AuntieBellum

:wb:

Good discussion anyway, right?   ;)

Quote from: Patriot Gal on March 06, 2011, 10:12:33 PM
I believe what CM was referring to was the need to have the term "Rifleman" be in the plural form of "Riflemen".

"A Nation of Riflemen"

Patriot Gal
Rifleman 06-09
ISRA

I with colycat on this one.  Humankind=mankind=man.  Rifleman is gender neutral.  The fact that we pluralize the word by making it riflemen is actually a problem with the English language more than anything.  Rifleman should, in effect, work more like deer - both singular and plural, but we'd sound like we don't know proper grammar (even it it would be more correct).  ;)  My patch says RIFLEMAN not RIFLEWOMAN.  ;)

Note: If you'd like more info, I'd be happy to drag out my old English lecture notes.   >:D

techres

You think this discussion is over?   **)   :D   :cool2:   O0

Ha!

Quote from: AuntieBellum on March 06, 2011, 10:16:39 PM

"A Nation of Riflemen"

Patriot Gal
Rifleman 06-09
ISRA

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

AuntieBellum

I prefer to exist in my own delusional world where everything I say is the final word on the topic.   :D ;D :cool2:

For some reason people really enjoy disrupting my delusions.   %)   ^-^

Quote from: techres on March 06, 2011, 10:33:59 PM

Ha!

"A Nation of Riflemen"

Patriot Gal
Rifleman 06-09
ISRA

Pvt.Joker

"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

Castle Mountain

Gadzooks girl you slay me **)  ROTF   Patriot Gal says you are the best O0

CM

Quote from: AuntieBellum on March 06, 2011, 10:43:13 PM
I prefer to exist in my own delusional world where everything I say is the final word on the topic.   :D ;D :cool2:

For some reason people really enjoy disrupting my delusions.   %)   ^-^

Quote from: techres on March 06, 2011, 10:33:59 PM

Ha!

"A Nation of Riflemen"

Patriot Gal
Rifleman 06-09
ISRA

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in