News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Help me with my characterS story!!!!!

Started by IndyGunworks, February 27, 2011, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyGunworks

So, i have my correct clothing.  And my wife will also have a period correct dress. (hopefully w/ a blue hat soon ~~:))  I am dressing as a minuteman, also a farmer.  my wife will be dressing as well.... my wife.    we need a story that will enable us to teach as much history as possible while still being true to the characters that we are playing.    find us some stories, organize our facts,   the possibilities are endless but i need everybodys help that knows the history on putting this thing together to make it the best thing to happen to appleseed since tech sights.

i dont know how to post this elsewhere where it will get more attention, so please if someone has the ability, post it in a place where people from everystate can read it and chime in to help.   lets get something going on this.

EZ3

My three best ideas (in order of personal preference)

The parents of Miss Lydia Mullikin - maybe shopping for building materials to rebuild their burned home

Colonel and Mrs. Barrett - the good Colonel on leave from the Seige of Boston, maybe

Mr. and Mrs. Paul Revere - after the Seige of Boston is lifted, I guess

Good Luck!  Sounds like a lot of fun!
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

IndyGunworks

Trying to emulate characters that would have been directly involved in arpil 19th 1775

IndyGunworks

IndyGunworks

EZ3

What do you mean by "directly involved"?

Mr. and Mrs. Mullikin had their house burned down by the redcoats on 4/19.  For more details, see Fred's "The Wedding Portrait That Never Was" at   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12646.0

The raid on Colonel Barrett's farm (by the redcoats) is an integral part of the Second Strike.  And poor Mrs. Barrett had to feed the raiders while her husband was commanding the militia in town.

The Reveres are self-explanatory, but he already gets a lot of play in the First Strike.

EZ3

Some additional details on the stories of:
     Margaret Kemble Gage
     Martha Moulton
     Rebecca Barrett
     Lydia Mullikin
     Mary Flint Hartwell
     Ruth Harrington
     Hannah Davis
     Mother Batherick
     and Prudence Cummings are available in "Paul Revere's Ride", by David Hackett Fischer

IndyGunworks

by directly involved i mean looking for a story that will fit our characters, mid 20's married couple, farmers.  would like something that shows sacrifices women made and allows a story that we can both tell.... at the same time.... about the same stuff, but when comes time ill tell what i did, and she will tell what she did.  would like a story that falls easy on the ears and will leave the listeners in awe at the sacrifices made by both men and women that day.

i appreciate you naming all these people, but i am not a history expert and it takes me quite some time to reasearch each and every possible story.  most of what i find has just enough information to make it sound like it would work, but then not enough information for me to form a really great story based in FACT and not have a bunch of stuff filled in w/ speculation.

mr. and mr. wood is a great example.   amos was a sgt in the concord militia which means he would have been young, and mrs. wood saved some military stores from the regulars when they searched thier farmhouse.  that means she would have seen what happened in concord and could relate it from a womens perspective, and i can relate it from my viewpoint on punkatasit hill and seeing issacs so bravely die.   

BUT, i cannot find any more information about mrs. wood to formulate a factual based story, nor do i know enough about what the battle would have looked like from a womans perspective.  i need to read that for myself to get my stories together.

i really do appreciate the help, but i need references not just the names of people who were involved.   i am not a red hat mearly someone trying to give the best possible story that will invoke pride in our heritage and give justice and meaning to the sacrifices made by the men and women of the time.  and on top of all that i want to fill the story with as much weight and facts as possible.

I understand that this is my story, but i need help creating it because as a group effort i think we could make it something that is both factual and entertaining.  i however am not capable of going it alone.

IndyGunworks

oh, and i really want to read the link that you sent but its not working for me   :'(

nyrasgt

IGW,
   Two other possibilities for consideration might be characters from The Wedding Portrait That Never Was (should be able to find under history area of forum) or Isaac and Hannah Davis - Isaac KIA Capt of Acton militia...SB Imker
(Alan Tremblay) has reworked that story from the POV of Hannah - can forward to an email address tomorrow when I get back to school (thus making all the parents happy campers - kidz been home [!!!] for a week around here...).
  Lots of folk to impersonate/replicate (even Gen. Gage and wife Margaret)...could do multiple characters, not necessarily related...have several folks keeping their eyes out for smoothbore/rifled musket (my plan - start from tip of pyramid, then work down to easier/less expensive items...or just do WWII - have the Garands/carbines/1903A1 Springfield, all courtesy of the CMP...).
   Hope this helps - can also find tons of books/bibliography from which to mine data in the history area.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

IndyGunworks

Ok, so i think i have enough information to be amos wood.    any info, or links that you guys can find for dorothy woods actions on april 19th would be great.  as well as anything else that a woman would be able to use to add meat and potatoes to the story.

thanks for the help guys, i dont want to try and emulate someone of the higher ranks due to my age.  since i am mid 20's it would be appropriate for me to be on the lower end of the chain of command.  the wood family sounds like it might be pretty doable if i am able to piece together a good narration for my wife.

kentuckyjam

Just some clarification - Mr. Mulliken, Lydia's father, had already passed away so he was not involved in any rebuilding. 
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner