News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

La Crosse Appleseed and Marine Corps Poolees

Started by professor gun, February 22, 2011, 11:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

professor gun

Hello Appleseeders,
There may be some young men in the La Crosse area who are U.S. Marine Corps poolees (signed and qualified to join the USMC and waiting to go to boot camp) interested in attending Appleseed.  These young men are ages 17 and 18.  At the Marine recruiter's workout for the poolees this evening Sgt Castro announced the upcoming La Crosse Appleseed to the group of poolees.  Most of these young men do not own a rifle.

Last June at our first La Crosse Appleseed I recall one of the instructors told me that several instructors bring liberty training rifles for use by a participant who may have a rifle go down or may not have a rifle.  If that is true would it be possible for some of these fine young future Marines to use them?  If so, PM me.

I will be requesting the same from our rifle club members to see if we can get some rifles for the poolees to use if they attend Appleseed in March at the La Crosse Rifle Club.

Professor Gun

Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

sparks1

How many are we talking about? It would be nice to know a number, so it could be coordinated.

Do they have to be LTR's? Some of us have scoped loaners.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

professor gun

Not sure yet how many are interested and will follow through.  I think a scoped rifle would be OK.

I will check with Sgt Castro this weekend and see if we can find out how many might pursue this.  At the latest I can find out Tuesday night when they have the poolee workout.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

FreedomV

I have 2 10/22 LTRs with tech sights that I could loan for the weekend.  Unfortunately my work schedule does not allow me to come that weekend- I could send them with a Winona instructor if there is one attending or there is probably someone coming from the Rochester area. That 100-400 KD is an enticing draw for Sunday.
Illegitimi non carborundum

dragonfly

This shoot is coming up March 5 and 6. Let us know what you will need.

Thanks,
D-fly

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19592.0
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Cooper

My 10/22 is already promised to a gal from my workplace for the weekend, but I can bring an AR or two (or three)  >:D and some cases of 5.56 if they want to get a head start on the style of rifle they will be using in the Corps.  I'll be bringing a replica brown bess and bayonet as well for show and tell.

Just let me know what need there is, and I'll see what I can do to accommodate...

Do we have a SB yet?

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

professor gun

Thanks, everyone.  I should have a count after Tuesday night when they do the poolee workout.

martin

Quote from: sparks1 on February 23, 2011, 10:15:28 AM
How many are we talking about? It would be nice to know a number, so it could be coordinated.

Do they have to be LTR's? Some of us have scoped loaners.

I'll have a couple of loaners,,,,both scoped but that doesn't matter,,,they will need ammo tho and the rest of the stuff usually needed at shoots,,,,,,,,

Dress warm everyone!
Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson

Cooper

Most current rumor is that only one "poolee" is planning to come this weekend.   I have 3 AR's and 1000+ 5.56 rounds already packed in the "rollover 'seedmobile," and hopefully professor gun can help the good SGT convince a few more of his "few good men" take advantage of free training with the type of rifles upon which their lives will soon depend...

I have 2 confirmed and 3 maybe's coming from the GL clinic, and am 7th stepping furiously to get some more to come.  I've promised my 10/22 and ammunition to one gal that I believe will truly show up, although she and her husband may be a little late due to visiting family conflicts.

I'll bring my new Brown Bess replica and my passion for the strikes... it should be a GREAT Appleseed weekend!!

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.

professor gun

Son Lucas is still working on some poolees for the weekend.  Disappointing response from the group for whom I would think learning riflery would be a priority.  Last week 6 expressed interest, we may still get some show up.  Stay tuned......

Cooper-there are two poolees who have perked up in interest upon hearing they could use an AR-15.  Will keep you posted.

professor gun

OK Cooper, two of the young poolees have committed to this weekend's Appleseed.  I will get some eye and ear protection as well as some improvised shooting mats.

Cooper

Quote from: professor gun on March 02, 2011, 11:27:40 PM
OK Cooper, two of the young poolees have committed to this weekend's Appleseed.  I will get some eye and ear protection as well as some improvised shooting mats.

HOOAH!!! [yes, they will have to endure Hooah! rather than Who-Raa until they outnumber my voice by more than 4 to RAAAH]

I already have the arsenal packed, along with my 10/22 for a gal from the clinic....

martin

Quote from: professor gun on March 02, 2011, 11:27:40 PM

I have some shooting mats, I'll bring'em,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson