News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Building The Rifle for mine and my sons first Appleseed shoot..HELP!!!!

Started by channelizer, February 14, 2011, 05:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

channelizer

Hello all,Just went and bought a ruger 10/22 and need to know what i need to do to it to make it ready for the shoot coming up in danville on march 19&20  ^:)^.Seen one at the gun show i went to and it has add-ons i remember that.Any help :sos: would be great and where to get the stuff to upgrade it at and please remember im on a tight budget and if anyone knows where to get the things i need cheaper that would be great also!!!! Thanks Eric    PS we cant wait for the shoot!!!
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

sparks1

Channelizer: couple things...

1.) 1 1/4" sling swivels   Ruger 10/22's are for 1" slings. I have had to pry the originals apart to put on the 1 1/4" ones
2.) Tech sights if you can afford them now. Best thing since sliced bread for iron sights.
3.) www.RimfireCentral.com has tons of information on 10/22's. Including stickies about how to modify the bolt catch so it is easier to manipulate. So easy , a caveman can do it. ( Well...easy enough for me, and I was somewhat challenged before doing one.) just takes a file or dremel tool.
4.) Buy different .22 ammo in 50 or 100 rd pkgs. Try them and see which one groups the best. Then buy a brick (500) of those for Appleseed. I find the standard velocity shoot better than the high velocity. Your rifle will tell you which it likes. This makes a huge difference! (finding the ammo it likes) A word of warning...I have read that Remington ammo seems to have alot of failures. YMMV

What are the add-ons? I ask because the bolt catch may already be modified. Scope??? Then you would not need the tech sights, but they are the best.
To see if the bolt catch has been modified...pull the bolt back and lock it in place. Then pull it back and release it, if it goes forward without having to manipulate the catch again, it has the mod done. If not...then you will have to manipulate the catch lever to release the bolt.

This is a simple mod and VERY desirable. To me it is a pain to have to finger the catch to release the bolt.

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Shooter30-06

I will second what Sparks told you.  I will be attending the Danville shoot and can loan you a Garand sling if you can get the swivel posts on the rifle.  As Sparks noted, the Tech sights are a great open sight upgrade over the factory sights.  The Ruger factory sights are hard to see and even harder to adjust.  You should probably buy a couple more magazines for the rifle.  With regard to ammo, everyone will have an opinion but I tested almost every brand of .22LR I could buy to test function in our 10-22s.  The best functioning .22s in our rifles are CCI minimags. 
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Reformed Redneck

Ditto on the CCI minimags. I have seen lots of failures with Remington lately, and some with Federal bulk. My family (5 shooters) have had very, very few failures with the CCI.

Beyond what the other guys said, the factory Ruger trigger is a bear. If you have fair mechanical abilities I would suggest the Volquartsen hammer kit. You can get it from Midway for a reasonable price. It's a drop in improvement. I 'tune' mine a bit, but you don't have to in order to have a pretty good pull.

If you rifle doesn't have the newer extended mag release, I would highly suggest you replace it also. I have used the inexpensive Bell & Carlson units (also available from Midway). It's a very simple swap and will make your mag changes much easier and faster.

Enjoy the shoot!
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

Old Dog

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

channelizer

thanks for the info writing it all down and going to see how much its going to cost going to try and at least do sights ,sling ,sling attachments and extra mags
you guys helped a whole lot thanks!!!!!!
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

CharlieHotel

Here's my 2 cents. If you want to invest the money but can't buy everything, Buy the tech-sights. There will more than likely be instructors with loaner Magazines and slings. The sights will be the best bang for the buck. I typically buy the federal 550 packs from walmart for ammo $18, no issues in the 10/22.
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

sparks1

Wish I was going to be there. Have a great time...and write up how your event went. (AAR)

Sparks1
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

mtbrass

You will get lots of helpful hints here. I can suggest that try to have an extra magazine if possible and as an added bonus- if you have time to get a usgi (sorry can't do caps on my bb) sling as well as swivels that are wide enough to accommodate the sling. There are other options but if you can find that stuff before you go the main thing is to get out there amongst 'em and have a great time with you son. I know I do when my sons attend with me.

Garand69

channelizer,

Asking 11284 Members of this forum what you need on your LTR, can be quite counter-productive  %)

I'm not saying that the advice you have received is wrong, to the contrary it is all great! BUT the most important thing you need to do to your rifle(s) is simply make sure that you and the rifle show up to shoot!!!
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

TomM1Thumb

A simple tip but one that works is to get at least 2 clear 10/22 ten round mags, as they make the difference between the 2 round and 8 round mags a very large one.

I know that funds are tight, but if You can swing it 2 standard black and at least 1 or better yet 2 clear mags per 10/22 rifles. is a great starting point, for Appleseed.

a second tip, that is real cheap and helps if You are asked to Reuse a morning AQT, to reshoot in the evening, to see Your Improvement. Is a couple of different colored Highlighters, sharpies, or regular ink pens. I think this is also a big help in marking Your sighting rounds, when You are making any sight adjustments.

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

vmt193

Channelizer

You do understand that each of you will need a rifle, right? I only mention this because I've seen a lot of family groups show up at an Appleseed thinking that they would be fine if they had a rifle for every two or three people and 500 rounds of ammo between them. At an Appleseed you don't take turns on the line. If you both plan to shoot, you'll need two rifles and 1,000 rounds of ammo.

vmt

PM sent

channelizer

Thanks all for the info and yes i do understand i need two rifles for this event trying to see if i can borrow one or possible get a loaner for the shootboss for this event would love to have built both my sons and mine by time the event happens but i think that might be wishful thinking!!!hopefully something will come up by then.If not i have a Romania military training rifle but is bolt action not the best for the event but will have to work!!! my main thing is to go and have fun and to give my son all the possible advantages and show him how fun shooting can be and that there is a great group of people out there (Appleseeders) that are there for the same reason and to pass along to the youth of the USA a wealth of knowledge !!!!!!     
Thomas Jefferson

TheEditor

John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Son of Isaac

Channelizer,

Please click the link below to read this post.  It will save you a lot of time and money.  For $150, the Marlin 795 makes an outstanding rifle for Appleseed.

Marlin 795 post:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20228.0

~TravelPatriot

JustJeff

Quote from: TravelPatriot on February 15, 2011, 09:46:41 PM
Channelizer,

Please click the link below to read this post.  It will save you a lot of time and money.  For $150, the Marlin 795 makes an outstanding rifle for Appleseed.

Marlin 795 post:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20228.0

~TravelPatriot

He already bought a 10/22.....
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

JustJeff

Quote from: Reformed Redneck on February 14, 2011, 09:10:28 PM
Ditto on the CCI minimags. I have seen lots of failures with Remington lately, and some with Federal bulk. My family (5 shooters) have had very, very few failures with the CCI.

Beyond what the other guys said, the factory Ruger trigger is a bear. If you have fair mechanical abilities I would suggest the Volquartsen hammer kit. You can get it from Midway for a reasonable price. It's a drop in improvement. I 'tune' mine a bit, but you don't have to in order to have a pretty good pull.

If you rifle doesn't have the newer extended mag release, I would highly suggest you replace it also. I have used the inexpensive Bell & Carlson units (also available from Midway). It's a very simple swap and will make your mag changes much easier and faster.

Enjoy the shoot!

I had about 10 FTF with MiniMags this weekend.... first time I've ever had that many.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Son of Isaac

Quote from: JustJeff on February 15, 2011, 10:19:26 PM
He already bought a 10/22.....

Keep your receipt and trade it for two Marlin 795's after the shoot  ;)

channelizer

Got a good deal on the 10/22,my wife works at a place here in danville that supplys police and fire departments all there needs went to the gun counter and talked to the guys there and got the 10/22 for $ 180.00 couldnt pass it upfor the price!!!!!!but im looking into trying to pick up a marlin found a slightly used on for 100.00,should i grab it up
Thomas Jefferson

Son of Isaac

Wow!  That's a great deal on the 10/22 and certainly it is a favorite among Appleseeders.  

I am very fond of the Marlin 795.  I plan to purchase several more as loaners.  The ergonomics are great and they come with the sling studs installed, a fiberglass stock and a 10 round detachable box magazine.  Bolt holds open after the last shot and comes with a handy thumb release.  The only improvement that I would suggest is a set of aperture sights.  

However, If you can pick up another 10/22 for a good price, it is nice to have an armory with interchangeable parts.

Everyone has their favorite and will take sides just for the fun of it  ;).  My advice is to pick one that you can afford and that works for you.  

After all, the best rifle in the world does not make a marksman.  Patience, training and perseverance do.

Have fun.

~TravelPatriot

channelizer

Thanks,I'm not going one way or the other on the rifles have not used either one so i really don't know though about getting the marlin to find out !!!!  if i can swing it
Thomas Jefferson

Patriot Gal

Hello channelizer.  Welcome to Appleseed!

When I first got started at Appleseed with my brand new Ruger 10/22 Sporter model, I had terrible trouble with brass jams at almost each course of fire.  Was impossible to score Rifleman with that issue going on and extremely frustrating!!!  A more experienced rifleman told me what he did to all his Rugers (everyone of his 5 family members shot a 10/22 of some variety)  So, I made these changes and now have a 99% foul free shooting experience!  

The things he told me were the following:

1.  Volquartsen hammer and spring - really reduces the trigger weight and effort which improves accuracy right now!  https://www.volquartsen.com/products/201-target-hammer-for-1022-and-1022-magnum     https://www.volquartsen.com/products/1076-hammer-springstrut-assembly-for-1022-and-1022-magnum

2.  Volquartsen sharp edge extractor - Since putting this in, I have had 1 single jam in a year and a half with probably 4000 rounds or more (it's one of my loaner rifles) Very important modification IMHO.  I know there are other extractors, but I have had perfect shooting with the VQ so that's the one I recommend.  As indicated above, previous to the VQ extractor, I was having a jam for each 10-15 rounds shot on average.  Not acceptable!  https://www.volquartsen.com/products/163-exact-edge-extractor-for-1022-and-1022-magnum

3.  Auto bolt release - Another hugely important modification.  You can gunsmith the original or just get a new one for a few $$.  Not knowing any different, I got a new one which was fine.  With it, you can simply pull the handle back and release it to close the bolt, otherwise you have to almost do a two handed wrestle to release the bolt.
https://www.volquartsen.com/products/158-automatic-bolt-release  This is $5 less expensive than Power Custom and of excellent quality.

4.  Extended mag release. -  That was either a Volquartzen or Power Custom, don't remember.  It was not the super long one which wraps around the trigger guard, just a little bit longer one than the original, extending straight down from the magazine well area.  Some people really like the longer one, I like the one I have fine.  Personal choice.

Later I added to the list of modifications:
Titanium Extended bolt handle and spring (Power Custom) http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=78
 (It can be difficult to get in until you get the hang of it but well worth it-don't let anyone cut the spring, it's longer for a reason.  It comes with a straight pin to hold the spring in place, but this is for shipping only.  It is to be removed before inserting, works very well and I love it!!)  Much easier to work the bolt.

Recoil Buffer - reduces the impact of the bolt on the back of the receiver.  Reduces recoil.  Many companies sell these.  They are not expensive and do help.  I think I bought mine through Buffer Technologies,http://www.buffertech.com/Search.aspx?k=10%2F22 ,  but  Volquartsen and Power Custom all sell them too.    https://www.volquartsen.com/products/187-recoil-buffer-for-1022-and-1022-magnum.

If anything, I would recommend doing 1, 2, and 3 above.  The rest you can do later, if you want.

Additionally, we put scopes on our Rugers.  I didn't even know about tech sights at the time.  They are good if you have visual issues (which I do).  I like them for loaners as this allows the person to shoot based on their abilities to incorporate the 6 steps of firing a shot, and not be having to fight a sight issue.  Just like with the rifle modifications, the shooter is challenging him or herself based on their abilities to do so and not fighting with mechanical issues of the rifle.

Thanks for starting an informative thread.  The more information we glean along the way, the better.  Good luck with your Ruger and I hope to see you out on the trail!

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

channelizer

thanks PG the info was very helpful!!!!!!!!!!   all i can get helps as I'm building this 10/22 for my son and want to give him all the advantaged i can to put him on the right path to rifleman!!!!!!! ;D    have these coming to me soon.....VC10BR        Volquartsen Ruger 10/22 Auto Bolt Release      1        $10.95        $10.95
              Finish: Black (VC10BR-B)                                                   
VC10TH        Volquartsen Ruger 10/22 Target Hammer          1        $35.95        $35.95  and going to try and get hammer spring strut and the sharper edge extractor...
Thomas Jefferson

Patriot Gal

Just like putting a puzzle together!  ;)

Since this is a used rifle, make sure some of these modifications haven't already been done.  My used Ruger already had the auto bolt release and newer trigger so I didn't need to change any of that.  I just put the extras in that I wanted like the extended mag release and the extended bolt handle and spring.

Have fun!!!!   :) :D O0
Patriot Gal  :---
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

channelizer

no the ruger is brand spanking new the marlin 795 is the used one going to try and do both of them before the shoot and if not at least have the ruger done by then for the boy!!!! we have 3 appleseed shoots here in Danielle this year so we have 3 chances this year to shoot rifleman with out having to travel to far from home and even if we get good enough to shoot a rifleman score this first time out we still would like to go to them all.............
Thomas Jefferson