News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

sights ??????? and rifles

Started by channelizer, February 12, 2011, 02:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

channelizer

hello,Im new to the appleseed forum and planning on attending an appleseed event with my son in danville.I have 4 different style .22 cal rifles here at home to choose from a tube feed lever action,a Romanian military training rifle,and two single shot rifles. one of the two questions i have is about the tech sights v. regular iron sights why the tech sights and getting the a ruger 10/22 v. the rifles i already have here.Going to bring myself and my 9 yr old son and my brother along to the event.Can someone help me out on a budget and getting two 10/22's and all the add ons is going to cost around 500 to 600 to have then ready for event. want to give my son and myself the opportunity to try and achieve rifleman. HELP  LOL!!!!!
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

2 clicks low

Channelizer,

Lets start with rifles. The lever action in not the best choice as we will teach you to use a sling and frankly levers are not very sling friendly. As we do timed fire at AS, the single shot rifles are not the best. Is the Romanian a bolt or a semi? Either will work. The 10/22 is very popular but the Marlin 795 is about $100 cheaper. Whatever rifle you get, it should have sling swivels and a GI type sling.

Sights. The factory sights on the 10/22 and 795 leave very much to be desired. They are hard to see and harder to adjust for Zero. Tech sights are a good (and relatively cheap at about $70) replacement. If your eyes are getting old like mine, an acceptable 4x scope can be had for less.

As to buying everything, yes it is a lot of money but good equipment lasts a lifetime. That being said you might try sending a PM to TheEditor, he is the Shoot Boss at Danville in March and he may be able to scrounge up a loaner or two.

Welcome aboard
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

channelizer

thanks 2cl all the help i can get is great,might be able to get one going at this time for my son and do another at a later date and talking to the shoot boss might be a good idea,they do loaners like that???
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

2 clicks low

While there is no guarantee, we tend to be a friendly bunch, so quite often the instructors may have an extra rifle that could be lent out. Best to check with the Shoot Boss.
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

sparks1

Our Shoot Bosses have the discretion to do loaners. Best to contact the Shoot boss for your event and see if he/she can accomodate you.( It varies from SB to SB and events.)
Not being from Illinois and never having instructed there I can't say for sure. Find the SB's name and Private message (PM) him/her about your needs.

Edit: 2clicks low types faster than I. Already answered
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

channelizer

thanks to both of you for your help!!!!any and all is great.......
Thomas Jefferson