News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How much ammo and what type of sling do i need?

Started by ktm525xcatv, February 09, 2011, 06:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktm525xcatv

Coming to the event in Boulder City this weekend despite being dirt poor(out of work almost 2 years).
I have about 550 rounds of .223 wolf is that enough for 2 days?
I have a magpul MS2 sling 1 point/2 point for my ar is that good?

Two Wolves

ktm525xcatv ---I too 8) shoot an ar .223 and have never used more than maybe  ::) 280 rnds in the two day period. I'm not familiar ++) with your sling but I'm betting it will work fine O0. Most important thing you need to do is to set your worries aside &), settle in with your rifle and the instructors :~, and have a good time ..:... It will revitalize your soul ^:)^ and help you have a positive attitude when you get back on the job hunt @@). Good luck ~Two Wolves~
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

eaglescouter

Each Appleseed event has a different ammunition consumption rate.  For best results please check with the shoot boss for your specific event.

In my area we tend to run about 450-550 rounds in the two day event.  Some areas have higher round counts.

Your shoot boss is:  DesertDog (who has been notified of your question)
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

DesertDog

Quote from: ktm525xcatv on February 09, 2011, 06:05:27 PM
Coming to the event in Boulder City this weekend despite being dirt poor(out of work almost 2 years).
I have about 550 rounds of .223 wolf is that enough for 2 days?
I have a magpul MS2 sling 1 point/2 point for my ar is that good?

550 rds will be plenty. 

I have the same sling on my AR.  A GI web sling is better for accuracy, but I shoot fine with it.  I believe in "Rung what you brung."  That being said, we will have extra slings for loan if you wish to try it out.

See you Sat.  I'll be the Instructor running around drinking Amp!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

ktm525xcatv

are all of the instructors locals? or are they traveling from other places? :~ :---

ktm525xcatv

When i bought my ticket online it seems theres been the same 35 or so spaces left. How many people usually come to boulder city?

Wade

Quote from: ktm525xcatv on February 09, 2011, 07:30:13 PM
are all of the instructors locals? or are they traveling from other places? :~ :---
Define Local.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

TrebleShooter

Most of us are local, and we're always looking for help!  DesertDog will be coming in to help from California, but the rest of us including myself and my family, Xeyed, chiller, and Pat, are locals.  :)  Looking forward to seeing you there!
As far as average numbers, it varies.  Some 'seeds we've taken up two whole bays, other shoots there's a smaller group under a pop up shade, just depends, but you're coming and we're excited!

JustJeff

The question you should ask yourself is "do I really want to shoot $200 worth of ammo, or should I ask if there may be a loaner .22 available to do this first Seed?"  If you can find a loaner .22, ammo would only run you between $18 and $40.  Check with the folks (who've posted above) and see what you can work out.  By all means, if you wish to shoot $200 through your AR, I agree with the 'run what ya brung' ideology; it works for most.

Sorry to butt in on the NV page, but I'm poor too and can't afford to do a full Appleseed in .223, so I bought a Marlin 795 just for that purpose.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

DesertDog

Quote from: JustJeff on February 09, 2011, 08:35:27 PM
The question you should ask yourself is "do I really want to shoot $200 worth of ammo, or should I ask if there may be a loaner .22 available to do this first Seed?"  If you can find a loaner .22, ammo would only run you between $18 and $40.  Check with the folks (who've posted above) and see what you can work out.  By all means, if you wish to shoot $200 through your AR, I agree with the 'run what ya brung' ideology; it works for most.

Sorry to butt in on the NV page, but I'm poor too and can't afford to do a full Appleseed in .223, so I bought a Marlin 795 just for that purpose.

Good point.  I'll have 3 10/22's available.  You could shoot the .22 to get the skill down and bring out the AR to see how it runs
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

sparks1

Quote from: DesertDog on February 09, 2011, 11:02:30 PM
Quote from: JustJeff on February 09, 2011, 08:35:27 PM
The question you should ask yourself is "do I really want to shoot $200 worth of ammo, or should I ask if there may be a loaner .22 available to do this first Seed?"  If you can find a loaner .22, ammo would only run you between $18 and $40.  Check with the folks (who've posted above) and see what you can work out.  By all means, if you wish to shoot $200 through your AR, I agree with the 'run what ya brung' ideology; it works for most.

Good point.  I'll have 3 10/22's available.  You could shoot the .22 to get the skill down and bring out the AR to see how it runs

Good idea....AIO (adapt,improvise,overcome)   It takes shape in many forms,including helping one beat their budget.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

ktm525xcatv

wolf ammo = $0.20 to 0.25  a round so its not to bad and i have it.

I may have to move to Anti ar 15 california for work so i mights as well shoot what i have.
Thinking if i have to go there i disassemble and clean the ar completly and store it in a safe deposit box.

Do we get a decent lunch break?
Whats the daily schedule?

TrebleShooter

Our lunch break usually runs about an hour, bring lunch with you.  During this time we talk about past events.
As for the daily schedule, we like to have everyone assembled no later than 8:30.  Lunch is around noon to one. The range likes us to be cleaned up and out shortly after four.  Plan for a long day, bring hydration, sunscreen, chair, snackage, whatever you need to keep yourself in good health through those hours.
If you have any other questions about tomorrow, you can give us a call at (702)530-3119.  It's a google voice number for Southern Nevada Instructors, one of us will answer. :)
See you manana.
~Ash

ktm525xcatv

i may have to run out at lunch to walk my dogs. ..:..

RangeRat

RangeRat and Persistant_1 checking in from the campfire at Mountain Man Rendevous.

P.S.- Mom, I'm taking a break from doing homework.

TrebleShooter

For the full appleseed experience I would recommend staying for the lunch break.

ktm525xcatv

Quote from: TrebleShooter on February 12, 2011, 12:53:00 AM
For the full appleseed experience I would recommend staying for the lunch break.
i'm 5 minutes from the range they pee quick