News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CT Promo Op: Cabelas Spring Great Outdoors event Weekend - Mar 19-20, 2011

Started by vernic82, February 08, 2011, 08:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vernic82

Well, they liked us so much last weekend, they want us back ^:)^

The manager at Cabelas in East Hartford has invited us to staff a table during their Cabelas Spring Great Outdoors event during the weekend of March 19 & 20.

Last weekend at their NRA Days was a prime opportunity to wrangle students up for our April 19th 2011 shoots and here's another.

We'll need volunteers to man the table. So please mark your calendars down to help if you can. This one is only Saturday 9am-4pm & Sunday 10am-3pm.

If anybody from the MA or NY crew wanna join in, please feel free. This Cabelas serves the tri-state area and I can tell you that last weekend I spoke with people not only from CT but many from Mass, NY, VT, RI and even Pennsylvania!

Here's a carrot from the manager of Cabela's to our Instructors who work the table:

I hope you can join us for this great weekend.  Also, anyone who attends from your organization would be eligible for a "special discount" during that weekend.  The discount covers 5% - 25% depending on the purchase.

Reply and/or PM me when you can work the table.

V82
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

vernic82

Is anyone interested in volunteering to work this or do I have to begin twisting arms?!?!?!? ~~:)
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

The Log

We'll be there again on Saturday afternoon. I was just giving someone else a chance to step up. Anyone else.
"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

vernic82

Quote from: The Log on February 12, 2011, 10:04:15 AM
We'll be there again on Saturday afternoon. I was just giving someone else a chance to step up. Anyone else.

I figured as much!  Anyone? Bueller?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zyjLyBp64
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

fprintf

I will know for sure as we get closer, but I plan on signing up for Sunday.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

The Log

Potential change in plans. NWCSA in Colebrook is hosting a Military Appreciation Day on Mar 19 at 9AM on the trap range, and has invited the 103rd Military Airlift Wing of the CT ANG to attend a day of free trap shooting. I'd like to take advantage of the opportunity to get our message out in front of some service men and women, especially since the unit CO is excited about coming out and expects at least 24 members to attend. This seems like a really good opportunity to get the program in the heads of a bunch of folks who would shoot for free, and to get them while they're in a good mood and thinking about shooting to begin with. Most have families or friends that they could bring along, so we could really get our numbers up.

I realize that I already committed to Cabela's in the afternoon, and technically I could still do it - I could stay at NWCSA until noon or so, then truck to East Hartford. If nobody else steps up for Saturday at either venue, I'll do it - my daughter will come along, and possibly my son. Anyone willing to step up and help out at one of these venues?

davidgw1

I just found this in the Forum, and I should be able to make it for some time either day.  How about we let me know what times are needed and I will try to fill in the best way possible.  If I can scare up an assistant, I will do that too.  BTW, will there be any opportunities for lying aound in the mud during this particular weekend?  I think I'm may be getting used to it.......

The Log

Quote from: davidgw1 on March 02, 2011, 06:40:25 PM
BTW, will there be any opportunities for lying around in the mud during this particular weekend?  I think I'm may be getting used to it.......
The run for my chicken coop needs a bit of attention...  #)

vernic82

I should be able to set up (I have all the stuff) Saturday morning and man the table until noon or so.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

TOMINCT

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

vernic82

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

davidgw1

Hi, everyone!  Just looking at my calendar and it looks like Saturday in the early part of the day is best for me.  Fred, I'll see you then.  DaveW

sparks1

Just want to say thanks for putting this up.... promotion wise.

After seeing this awhile ago, I contacted our local Cabelas and they are happy to have AS in Minnesota at their expo. IMO a great venue to promote to families and those not in the gun show circuit.

We have a great volunteer doing some display stuff that will make our table POP!! Hard to wait.

Thanks again for the idea.

Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

vernic82

S1 - I feel this venue is probably better than straight up Gun Shows as it offers us the chance to tap into many different prospective Appleseeders.

The up shot is that this (and in your case too) will not be confined to just your state as Cabela's serve many states and folks will drive pretty darn far (6 hours or so between Cabela's here - but this is the East Coast!) so I think you'll end up seeing folks from all over.

Also, once you get to know the store manager, mention that the store manager here in CT allows us to attend any weekend we want, not just 'special' weekends.

We're still talking about it but I would like to see us have a table at Cabela's once a month throughout the year.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

The Log

Don't forget to ask about the employee discount for the day! The CT Cabela's told us that vendors get 10-25% off most items in the store. That could be a huge draw for getting volunteers to work your booth. Nothing like a little bribery...

</log>

vernic82

Just received this from our contact at Cabela's about next weekend:

Hi Fred,

I just wanted to follow up with about the weekend of March 19th & 20th.  It is great that you will be joining us. Everyone had great things to say about your organization.  The hours will be:

Saturday, 9-4

Sunday 10-3

Let me know if you need more than one table.  You will be in the same location along with other vendors that will be there that day.  This should be a busy weekend.  It is the second part of our Spring Great Outdoors Days Sale.  Last weekend was part #1 - it was crazy in here.....

Thanks.

Diane

Tom, Dave & Dave, I'll see you there on Saturday.

v82

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

fprintf

Bump... remember Cabelas this weekend is going to be huuuuuge!

Signing up for Sunday morning. I can work from opening at 10 am until 1 pm.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

vernic82

Quote from: fprintf on March 17, 2011, 06:30:45 PM
Signing up for Sunday morning. I can work until 10 am to 1 pm.

A presence on Sunday - fantastic!
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

vernic82

A good bit of action at this one today as we went through a number of flyers.

crak's banner w/the AR Girl was a real eye catcher.  Everyone loved the wood stocked AR.

Cabela's is turning out to be a great partner for promo.

Tom was there longer and could chime in with more details.

I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to see the end and breakdown.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

CortJestir

Good to see you guys there. Table runner and banner are very pro. Kudos to spitstickler on getting those designed and to crak for financing them. They make a great impression indeed.

I'll see if I can stop by again tomorrow to say Hi and buy more donuts from that vendor. Those things are deadly.
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

The Log

Ackkk! I forgot about the donuts! Now that's something that we need to stress when we're trying to get IITs to staff the Cabela's booths. Forget the employee discount for the day - THEY HAVE DONUTS OF DEATH!!!

Of course, we had donuts at NWCSA yesterday, too. Sadly, they were only of the Dunkin' variety. Sniff.

And for anyone that's interested, I posted an IAAR about the NWCSA promo - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21538.0

</log>

TOMINCT

Things went well there yesterday. A bit different than a gun show as you have a lot of people there for non-shooting reasons. Also a bit slower paced for the most part. That being said there were a fair number of folks that did a double take and stopped to find out what Appleseed was REALLY about. One young mom asked if we were a 'militia' organization. After the reason of why and how were given she stayed a while longer to hear about the course. Several of the ladies stopped and took in at least the long spiel, as did a number of guys.

There were a lot of folks that would walk by with no recognition whatsoever. Too bad, but there was a time that I might have done the same, truthfully. In the northeast at least everyone is in a hurry so you need to be able to give them a flier with a quick 'check us out online and have a nice weekend'. When things slow up and time allows you can give a better explanation or answer questions in more detail. That's why I believe it's best to have one person getting the fliers out and another to deal with involved questions.

A lot of positive comments on the banners. A few folks were there that were at the Springfield show last weekend. Later in the day I asked a Cabela's employee about the turnout and he replied that it was pretty good. If it were raining/bad weather there would have been more folks there. I helped out SeanO at a show in Maine last spring and it pretty much died out after lunch as it was a beautiful warm spring day and everyone was doing outside stuff. Just something to keep in mind when the numbers are low and the weather is nice. Regards, Tom.

Quote from: vernic82 on March 19, 2011, 11:44:51 PM
A good bit of action at this one today as we went through a number of flyers.

crak's banner w/the AR Girl was a real eye catcher.  Everyone loved the wood stocked AR.

Cabela's is turning out to be a great partner for promo.

Tom was there longer and could chime in with more details.

I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to see the end and breakdown.
Ramseur 2-12!

fprintf

Very quiet today, I was on my own from 10 a.m until 2:30 but it was easily handled, at most there was two people in front of the table and even that was only occasionally. I agree with Tom, a lot of folks probably were outside enjoying the nice Spring weather. I did speak to at least 4 people who were members at Metacon and were looking forward to the event in August. I encouraged them all to consider attending an earlier event, or at the very least to sign up online right away. I think this will be a sellout and every Metacon member I spoke with was absolutely in favor of more events there!   >:D

I did speak with a number of folks with Northwest Sportsmens Association (I think that is the name). They knew Jason and Tom from the Colebrook club. There was a President of another gun club that wants someone to come present. I gave him my phone number and told him I will give him the phone number of someone who can come to a member meeting and present about Appleseed. I want to say it was from a Naugatuck club but will know for sure when he calls. I left his name and details on the yellow pad if we want to proactively reach out to him.

All in all it was quiet. As people walked by I had to do something to grab them. Since it wasn't a gun show I didn't know if they were shooters, so I would ask just about everyone "Do you shoot rifles?" even though I usually ask an open-ended question first. If they said "Yes", then I would ask the open-ended question "what kind of shooting do you like to do?", and then the conversation/pitch would go from there.

vernic82

Well the pistol course ran late today and I missed Stuart by a 1/2 hour and showed up by 3pm.....Still I was there until 4:30 as there we actually quite a # of people by the table and pointing at the AR Girl Banner!

So I jumped right in and ended up handing out many more flyers and had several really good conversations with potential attendees O0

Broke down, got hassled (jokingly) by the NRA guy for splitting early and got home to grill some steaks by 5:30pm!

all in all, a good successful Promo weekend I'd say!

Thanks for each of you guys, Tom, David, Todd & Stuart for stepping up and helping man the table and work that Promo side of our Biz!

On to the next Cabela's Date in May!
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

The Log

Quote from: vernic82 on March 20, 2011, 10:12:12 PM
On to the next Cabela's Date in May!
Let me know the date for the CT Appleseed Google calendar.

</log>

vernic82

― Marcus Tullius Cicero

~ Harlan Ellison

- The Dude

TOMINCT

Quote from: fprintf on March 20, 2011, 09:30:50 PM
Very quiet today, I was on my own from 10 a.m until 2:30 but it was easily handled, at most there was two people in front of the table and even that was only occasionally. 

All in all it was quiet. As people walked by I had to do something to grab them. Since it wasn't a gun show I didn't know if they were shooters, so I would ask just about everyone "Do you shoot rifles?" even though I usually ask an open-ended question first. If they said "Yes", then I would ask the open-ended question "what kind of shooting do you like to do?", and then the conversation/pitch would go from there.

That's a neat way to slow them down when it's a little quiet. Good way to have them stop and at least respond and ask more about it.

I don't know how the last one was but the next could be a good one, geared toward the ladies. I think there will be a lot of interest at that one. The girls tend to ask more and more interesting questions if they have an idea of going.
Ramseur 2-12!

The Log

Quote from: TOMINCT on March 21, 2011, 01:50:44 PM
I don't know how the last one was but the next could be a good one, geared toward the ladies. I think there will be a lot of interest at that one. The girls tend to ask more and more interesting questions if they have an idea of going.
OTOH, the next one is on Mother's Day. Might suppress the Sunday turnout. But those who do show up will tend to be more "hardcore", I'd think.

</log>