News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gunsmith son

Started by Norm B, February 08, 2011, 07:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm B

My 16 yo son is interested in a career as a gunsmith. Do any of you guys have any advise for him in getting started?

Thanks
Norm

gpbbiker

Hi Norm!
Google gunsmith schools first. There are several schools, Trinidad State in colorado, Yavipai College in Prescott Arizona offer two year programs. There is one in Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and California as well. Then check with the folks at Brownells as they have an annual job fair for gunsmiths and can probably make some recommendations. The folks at MIDWAY USA promote gunsmithing as well. Have him check with his highschool and see if they have a machinists course, that would give him a leg up at some places. That and study, study, study!!
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

Longshot

Norm,

PM Redneck, he is currently attending his second year at Trinidad, Co. along with his nephew, Jason. He can certainly give you some insight, as he has me.

The best to you and your son.

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

jmdavis

Great Gunsmith school in NC at Montgomery COmmunity College.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner