News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mini 14 SS Ranch Rifle

Started by Cyclops WY, February 02, 2011, 11:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclops WY

Has anyone shot rifleman with a mini 14 ranch rifle.  Not the one with the damper on the front.  Just the over the counter mini?  Open site.  Or with an optic.

Thanks,

Cyclops WY
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

vmt193

I've got one that I just put a Williams peep on but haven't shot it yet since installing the sight. The "Mini" doesn't have much of a reputation for it's accuracy. I'm not bashing them because I like mine and even with mediocre accuracy, it has it's uses. I'm sure you will find a few folks that do have one that's a tack driver and maybe some that are worse. But I've had mine for 20 years or so and on it's best day with a good scope and sand bags, it was a 4moa shooter.  I did eventually make a new gas block and put in a recoil buffer, but it would still never shoot better than 2 or 3 inch groups.

I look at it 2 ways, since we're trying to shoot to that 4moa standard that happens to be the limit of it's abilities, I have a 50/50 chance of it's wandering POI either helping or hurting the final outcome by increasing any human error or compensating for it.

They do make a really nice "truck/trunk gun".  O0

vmt

wcmartin1

Have seen them on the line from time to time.

Haven't actually shot an AQT with one, but I did shoot some 1-inch squares with a buddy's stick (I let him shoot it's big brother - my M1A) and was able to keep them all in the black.

It's main disadvantage is the short barrel (sight radius), which can be a problem for some people with focusing on the front sight, but this is easily rectified with a scope if necessary or preferred. 

You should be able to earn a patch with one, if you're up to it, though - and they are fun to shoot.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Wyowanderer

I was at the Appleseed in Douglas 15 and 16 June 2013, and one of the guys next to me (his name is Will-he shot Rifleman on Sunday) told me that he'd read that cutting the barrel down to 16 7/8" was the trick. He told me that he'd cut his barrel to 16 1/2" and it changed his pie plate groups to around an inch. It might be worth looking into.
The Second Amendment protects your liberties, not your hunting rights.

Turbodriven04

Tomblin

Quote from: Cyclops WY on February 02, 2011, 11:32:53 PM
Has anyone shot rifleman with a mini 14 ranch rifle.  Not the one with the damper on the front.  Just the over the counter mini?  Open site.  Or with an optic.

Thanks,

Cyclops WY

Watched a guy with a Mini-14 w/ Optics & a Mo-Rod Barrel strut shoot a 232 in Hernando, FL last year.

Mo-Rod: http://www.sunflowerammo.com/Mo-Rod-4-Barrel-Stabilizer-Accurizer-for-Ruger-Mini-14-30-Mo-Rod-4.htm

I was able to shoot 190s with a rear tech-sight peep & no barrel stabilizer.

Haven't tried it again with the Mo-Rod. The front sight on the ranch rifle is horrendous, I figure with a Mo-Reaper front post, Tech-Sight rear peep, and barrel stabilizer it could be done.

Mo-Reaper: http://www.sunflowerammo.com/Mo-Rod-Mo-Reaper-Combo-for-Ruger-Mini-Mo-Rod-Mo-Reaper-Combo.htm

Kelso

I shot my first 2 AS events with one with a rear tech-sight.  Eventually I shot in the 190's but haven't tried it again since I shot rifleman with my .22; it got too expensive to continue with  .223 rouinds.  I see no reason why you couldn't shoot the score with one.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
― Samuel Adams

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
― Samuel Adams