News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Support the Cause! (Florida Appleseed Needs your Help!) UPDATE!

Started by ItsanSKS, February 01, 2011, 05:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

Folks, with the rapid expansion of the program here in Florida, we are starting to run into a problem; you see, many of the ranges we utilize have no covered firing line, and while in the Fall, Winter, and Spring months this is no big deal, in the Summertime, when temperatures and humidity levels soar, this becomes a serious health concern.  

Many of you have seen the large canopy set that PHenry has kindly allowed us to use; they are 10x20', well built, and provide a much needed respite from the summer sun and torrential rains that are a fact of life here in the Sunshine State.

Unfortunately, we only have two of these, which combined, gives us enough cover for about 20 shooters.  As we start adding events scheduled concurrently throughout the summer, we will be forced to decide which event gets a covered line, and which does not...  This situation is untenable at best, as the health and welfare of students and instructors alike hang in the balance.

Durable canopies such as the ones provided by PHenry are not cheap.  They are made of strong materials, and last years.  Each 10x20 canopy costs about $250 SHIPPED, and I would like to add 4 more to the stable, allowing us to run 3 events concurrently.  

This totals $1,000.  That is a lot of money, I know, especially with the economy and job market as it is.  

Please, donate what you can.  Every little bit helps!  I'd like to have these on hand for the April 19th events, and that means I need to order them mid-March at the latest.

Donations can be made in person at any FL Appleseed event, via paypal link below, or can be mailed directly to me:

Florida Appleseed Donations
C/O Eric McCabe
1018 John Moore
Brandon, FL 33511

Via Paypal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EYFMDYZ4DBCFA

Those who donate will receive the following, depending on amount donated:
$10 & up: Appleseed coffee mug
$25 & up: the above, plus a signed and framed certificate of appreciation
$50 & up: the above, plus  1yr associate membership in the RWVA
$100 & up: the above, plus free admission to the Florida Appleseed  2-day event of your choice.
$200 & up: all the above, plus free admission to any/all FL Appleseed events for 1 year.  

PM me for details.

FYI- These are the canopies I'm looking at getting: http://www.carportsandmore.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=153&bc=no
(improved design, better looking, and LESS MONEY!)

If you can find a less expensive canopy that is built as tough, please let me know!

Thank you for your continued support of the Florida Appleseed Project!

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

caseyblane

I know I want to be under a canopy! :) Check on the way.
"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

9mm4545

Since I am likely to be one of the poor souls actually enjoying the shade, sign me up for a contribution. PM me an address to send a check to.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

I think I got last one at a home improvement center - do not recall cost. The ones in pic use the white tarps that are near invisible in terms of stopping sun. The ones I used to see at the discount clubs were silver and had a black paint on back side and they are utterly opaque - no sun gets thru - huge dif in temp underneath.

If anyone has a pipe bender and a wire feed welder - copies of mine could be made and tarps / bungees are easy to come by. Fence top rail or EMT (metal electrical conduit) makes the poles. Likely be more work than it's worth, but who knows? I generally seem to have time and no $, or $ and no time. Lately - very little of either!  !@#)

In addition to the canopies - we need active instructors as well - the kind that want to work their way up to shoot boss. With only two active SBs (right now) in FL and an expected 68+ events - yikes!  :wb: ~~:) ~~:)

Many thanks, in advance, for anything you can do - monetary is very nice - your time would be incredible!  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

ItsanSKS

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

yellowhousejake

Hawkhavn bought several for use in Indiana from Menards Home store. My wife is a product rep and goes to Menards nearly every day in two states. She has seen them as low as $70 on close out, down from $200. Haunt your home improvement stores and they might be had for a lot less than mail order.

When you get them mark the joints with colored electrical tape and assembly will go much much faster. If we see them next week we will grab some for you.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

TomM1Thumb

This sounds like a win, win for those of Us who would like to bring more people into the Appleseed Program, but have yet to claim the Riflemans patch!
see below.

Those who donate will receive the following, depending on amount donated:
$10 & up: Appleseed coffee mug
$25 & up: the above, plus a signed and framed certificate of appreciation
$50 & up: the above, plus  1yr associate membership in the RWVA
$100 & up: the above, plus free admission to the Florida Appleseed  2-day event of your choice.
$200 & up: all the above, plus free admission to any/all FL Appleseed events for 1 year.  

With this in mind I sent a check! I hope that a few others out there will do the same!

Come on People, if I who just bought a new to Me house can do it, You can send a few dollars toward a much better Appleseed experience, for everyone!

This is just another way to thank, Those Red hats, Orange hats, Who have given their best to help You become a better shooter! Thank You one and All!

TomM1Thumb
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

ItsanSKS

I would like to personally thank those of you who have kindly donated so far.  Due to your generosity, we are well on our way to making this a reality. 

The company, Carportsandmore.com, a US-owned company, selling Made In the USA products, (these carports are manufactured in CT)  in recognition of our 501.c.3 non-profit status, has kindly offered to consolidate shipping costs, as well as a $30/unit price reduction. 

With your generosity, we can provide a better experience for our attendees, support a gracious American company, AND support American Workers- how could it possibly get better!?

-ItsanSKS

ItsanSKS

A very generous donation has brought our total to $550 pledged so far.  We've made it past the half-way point!

For those who are mailing in their donations, please indicate in your correspondence what your screen-name is.

Thank you for your continued support!

-ItsanSKS

ItsanSKS

Monday Update:

We have just about met our goal, due to the generosity of many.  Funds accounted for so far total $800.  I know some of you have mailed checks- I'll update this total as soon as they arrive.  I think it is safe to say that I'll be able to order these by the end of the week.  Any funds raised in excess of the amount required will be forwarded to the RWVA.

I am stunned at this showing of support.  Your response has been immediate and overwhelming.  I cannot begin to thank you enough. 

Sincerely,

Eric "ItsanSKS" McCabe

TomM1Thumb

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

9mm4545

I was with ItsanSKS over the weekend at an event and he said that the canopies have been ordered. Yay! Shade is a'comin'.... Eric has been busier than a cat in a sandbox so I am answering for him. (You see, my sandbox is already full ;))
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

Does this mean, I mean could it be, that I might actually git to see my own long lost canopies again!  :bow:  ^:)^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

smoakingun

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

JustJeff

Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

TomM1Thumb

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Paine

PHenry

Yeah sure, I even touched them, but they still went home with someone else.  :'(

ItsanSKS

UPDATE:

According to UPS, the canopies should be here some time today.  If they arrive at an appropriate time, I will set one up and take pictures of it. 

A sincere thanks goes out to all who donated, making this possible.  I am deeply in your debt.

If you made a donation, please send me a brief notice of the amount made, and an address to send the thank you's to.  (I recently had a computer failure which wiped out the spreadsheet I had created for this purpose)  I do apologize for this minor inconvenience, but I'll make it up to ya!

-Eric

ItsanSKS

Canopies have arrived.  As it is well past dark, I am going to wait to assemble one of these tomorrow.  Looks complicated.  Will be marking poles and stuff with phase tape (multi-color electrical tape) to aid in assembly. 

Covers for the canopy are NOT LIGHT; this is a good thing, as they are thick material that will block the sun for us. 

Can't wait!

-ItsanSKS

caseyblane

"Boy, there are Do'ers, Thinkers, and Wonderers, be a Do'er!" My Grandfather.

TomM1Thumb

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Paine