News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

March 8th Star Spangled Banner Shoot.

Started by wildman, March 03, 2008, 03:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

Attention on the Forum!

Don't forget to show up this coming Saturday 8:30AM at the Ramseur Range. Be ready to go with lots of ammo, lunch and a desire to be all you can. We aren't have as many field shoots this year so you won't want to miss one. Attend three and shoot the KWSS free.

Remember if you are coming Friday you need to let me know via a PM. Please do not use this open forum. Crooks and evil doers do not need to know you will be camping at the range.  COMSEC.

That is all
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

hawkeye

I'll be there with mauser 98 boy.Can't wait for Saturday. PM as to when you want to set up targets and I'll be there.Been loading up 30.06 all week so lots of ammo is no problem.I believe my brother will show up too.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Koma

I'll be there. Wildman, I hope to bring my A game. I know you will.

JohnnyReb

Wildman,

What is the course of fire?

I'll be there regardless.
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

wildman

Depends on the weather. Rain in the AM Saturday so some 25 yd work to shake out any problems some of you guys goofed off over the winter. The PM I have scheduled high winds so we can practice shooting in the wind. Brush up on the wind formula. No kidding with the weather forcast the way it is its hard to predict. Remember the cardinal rule of all operations is, "situation dictates". Our objective is get ready for the WW2 Sniper Event in September and have fun doing it. Hope that answers your question.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

hawkeye

If it ain't raining you ain't training. A little wind helps too.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Ding

Wildman,

I'll be there Saturday.  Been looking forward to it.  Hope to see Hawkeye and 7.62 BBQ there as well.  Had a great time at the February Appleseed and the 400m targets. Now to see what that windage knob thing is all about.

-Ding
"A political party that robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul."

wildman

The weekend is past the rifles are cleaned and put away the only thing left of the star Spangled banner Shoot is the memory. One couldn't have ask for a worse weather forcast on Friday. One might have thought North Carolina might wash away listing to the weather wizards. When Saturday arrived the sky turned partly cloudy and windy. The real riflemen were not detered and came because the idea of a day at the Ramseur range was the louder call. Shoot we did all solid shooters with well maintained rifles in top order made for one heck of a day. Puttin' these shoots on is a lot of work, they are all worth while but somtimes they are really special. This past weekend was one of those special ones.

We starded out shootin' a couple of red coat targets and some one inch squares to clear our minds and excersise the old trigger fingers. It was clear these guys were ready to go and there was no holding'em back. Zeros at 200 and 400 came and went without a hitch. Midday everyone took a short break for health and welfare. The rain on Friday left some work on pop-up targets to be completed but that also went quickly and by 13:00 we were ready to go.

In spite of a gusty wind that seemed to come from every direction the hit rate was excellent. BBQ308 may make his living as a cook but ther ain't no doubt he's a rifleman 1st class. He cleared 8 down in under 15 seconds and when we added the 400 yard targets it didn't seems to make much difference. I told Johnny Reb he couldn't bring that AR back any more "cause he made it look too easy. Just kidding but I don't think I ever saw Reb shoot so good.

We tired something new Saturday with all targets up the shooter had to shoot a 200 yd target then move to 300 then 400 then work his way back down do that until all targets were cleared and do all nine targets in 1 minute. This of course is a good way to force the use of the battle sight zero. Great stuff.

If you weren't there you missed out on some super training and a lot of fun also.

Koma

Wildman, I do not have the literary skills to express everthing that comes to mind, Thank You for all of your work to put these shoots on. A most pleasent way to spend a day  Lets start the next popup the way we ended this last one? We will all know if we are dialed in.  Signed, Hubble Designer.

hawkeye

What a great day it turned out to be! It was good to see the regular hard core crowd there. The wind wasn't that bad, but the wet ground made it hard to spot rounds impacting and correct. I didn't shoot as well as I'd like but that's why I was there, but I'm very happy with my VAR barrel on my Garand my groups are tighter. Mauser boy shot his scope loose (mount) again but found out that at 400 yards he shot just as well with the iron sights. Brazing that 1917 rear peep sight on the stock rear sight made a big difference in his sight alignment. He is also pulling the bullets on that lot of bad ammo to use in reloading later.  Can't wait for the next shoot!   

Atlas Shrug

Quote from: hawkeye on March 12, 2008, 11:52:01 PM
.......Mauser boy shot his scope loose (mount) again but found out that at 400 yards he shot just as well with the iron sights. Brazing that 1917 rear peep sight on the stock rear sight made a big difference in his sight alignment. ......

You should try the Mojo sight.  I used to do it myself like you did, but this is a much more elegant and robust solution.

http://www.mojosights.com/

7.62BBQ

Coming down to the RWVA range and shooting in the pop-up shoots is the best money I spend all year ;D! It was good to see the same hardcore Riflemen show up. I took my trusty M14 with me and shot about 210 rounds of milsurp all day! I shot 80 rounds in the last ten minutes when Wildman just kept bringing the targets back up and letting us knock them down :D. Now that was FUN!

I'm looking forward to the next pop-up event in a few months and the next APPLESEED which is on 4/19 at the home range. Remember juniors shoot free, so bring the kids and lets teach the next generation how to shoot.

Thanks for putting on a great match Wildman, see you soon.

wildman

7.62BBQ forgive me for referring to you as BBQ308. I am getting old.