News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A few newbie questions

Started by zesty, January 22, 2011, 12:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zesty

I've been looking at the schedule for 2011 and am wondering if it's final or if more dates/ranges will be added as the year goes along?  I actually live in GA, but think that an Appleseed weekend would be fun to do with my 3 brothers in MO.  Its going to take some coordinating to get all of us in the same place for a weekend.  It'll be spring before I can make this happen and we'd like to do it as close to St. Louis as possible.

Also, how far in advance should we register?  

I bought some of the AQT targets to practice with.  They're great... but I haven't seen how to score them.  Is the middle of the hole where the point is counted?  How many points is the "V" worth?  I'm not worried about getting too technical, just having fun with them at the range.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

EDIT:  I just saw the post about Humansville being closed... so I assume those dates will be moved.  I'll keep an eye on the schedule.

Wheeler44

Quote from: zesty on January 22, 2011, 12:58:54 PM
I've been looking at the schedule for 2011 and am wondering if it's final or if more dates/ranges will be added as the year goes along?  I actually live in GA, but think that an Appleseed weekend would be fun to do with my 3 brothers in MO.  Its going to take some coordinating to get all of us in the same place for a weekend.  It'll be spring before I can make this happen and we'd like to do it as close to St. Louis as possible.
The schedule is always changing, with dates added as the paperwork etc. gets completed. Check back frequently.

QuoteAlso, how far in advance should we register?
As soon as you know that your plans fit the schedule. Some shoots fill up fairly quickly  

QuoteI bought some of the AQT targets to practice with.  They're great... but I haven't seen how to score them.  Is the middle of the hole where the point is counted?  How many points is the "V" worth?  I'm not worried about getting too technical, just having fun with them at the range.
The highest score that the edge of the hole touches. Look carefully as the target paper "heals" a little. ie. the hole in the paper will be smaller than the bullet that made it. Lines count for the higher score.   The "V" (roman numeral 5) is traditionally a tie breaker in competition, if 2 shooters score the same , the one with more "V"s wins... Use them for Appleseed as a way to monitor progress.

QuoteAny info would be appreciated.  Thanks

EDIT:  I just saw the post about Humansville being closed... so I assume those dates will be moved.  I'll keep an eye on the schedule.
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

2 clicks low

You might also check the Illinois dates as some of the shoots are close to St. Louis. As to registering, sooner is preferable to later as dates do sell out, so as soon as you firm up a date with your brothers register so it doesn't fill up without you.

The V ring on the AQT is the army's equivalent of an X. It is used only for tie breaking in  competition and scores only the 5 points of the "bulls eye". In a NRA compition you might shoot 190-9x which would beat a 190-8x. It's the same in the AQT in Army compition, 49-9V beats 49-8V. For APPLESEED as we compete only with ourself's to outdo our own personal best. Count them or not as it works for you but they do not apply to scoring Rifleman which is the score that APPLESEED really cares about.

2cl

Quote from: zesty on January 22, 2011, 12:58:54 PM

Also, how far in advance should we register?  

I bought some of the AQT targets to practice with.  They're great... but I haven't seen how to score them.  Is the middle of the hole where the point is counted?  How many points is the "V" worth?  I'm not worried about getting too technical, just having fun with them at the range.

Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks

EDIT:  I just saw the post about Humansville being closed... so I assume those dates will be moved.  I'll keep an eye on the schedule.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

EEL

O0  2 Clicks Low.  In Appleseed you only compete against yourself.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Earl

Not that I know anything, ::) but it struck me as funny that the V in the target wasn't an X, then I did some more thinking and realized the ten point bull on the normal targets was only made better by the centering of a Roman Numeral 'X' for the best of the ten bull. So our Appleseed targets improved by putting a Roman Numeral 'V' for the best of the five point area on the AQT. I had not thought to reason why those letters, but then I didn't learnt Latin in school either.... :o

I am no longer competing, just trying to be a better than I was before... working on it.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

zesty

Great info again, everyone.  Thanks!

nemohunter

Should be a BUNCH more Dates coming. we have NOTHING for April 19th yet and there will probably be 6-10 on that weekend alone.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Son of Isaac

Zesty,

Just saw your post.  I also live in GA, (Atlanta) but have family in MO.  I will be traveling to MO via St. Louis to join my family for the Appleseed in Bowling Green, MO - Apr 2-3.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=MO&statename=Missouri

I believe GreyBeard is the shoot boss for the Appleseed in Bowling Green, MO.

I also plan to attend the Appleseed in Waco, GA - Feb 12-13. 

Shoot me a prersonal message via the "My Messages" link If you want to connect for some AQT practice or want to discuss logistics for MO.

~TravelPatriot

Jungle George

Zesty,  Bowling Green is just about 60 miles North of St. Louis on hwy 61 Should be some shoots coming up in Desoto, MO  also.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Ricochet

I was hoping that a two day camp might be set in DeSoto sometime this year?

cmidkiff

We're working on DeSoto, I was just contacted by Brumley Dog, who lives in that area... hopefully Bullseye Rod and Gun will be willing to host a shoot or two this year.

Humansville... Working on a new location there, hopefully we'll have something finalized soon.

Greybeard

FreeCelt

Quote from: greybeard on March 15, 2011, 09:55:55 AM

Humansville... Working on a new location there, hopefully we'll have something finalized soon.

Greybeard

Yay!!!  :)
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong;
Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong;
Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown,
Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.