News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

William Alexander, Lord Stirling

Started by B9, January 20, 2011, 01:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

At the Battle of Long Island, in August of 1776, Stirling led the 1st Maryland Regiment in repeated attacks against a superior British force at the Old Stone House near what is today named the Gowanus Canal and took heavy casualties. Outnumbered 25-1, his brigade was eventually overwhelmed and Stirling was taken prisoner, but not before repelling the British forces long enough to allow the main body of troops to escape to defensive positions at Brooklyn Heights. Because of his actions at Long Island, one newspaper called him "the bravest man in America" and he was praised by both Washington and the British for his bravery and audacity.

Washington, watching from a nearby hill, was to have said, "Good God, what brave fellows I must this day lose!"

He and his men fought fiercely. Not knowing the other lines had collapsed he was being out flanked.
They believed in their minds they were winning.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

KodyJaret

"He and his men fought fiercely. Not knowing the other lines had collapsed he was being out flanked.
They believed in their minds they were winning."

Luckily, I don't suffer from this sort of irrational thinking. I do however suffer from other sorts of irrational thinking. :)

Josey Wales

..imagine being praised for audacity.. 

..The word is usually used in today's world to describe ones actions in a negative context, but I like people with audacity, they seem to be more alive than the mundane..

..another masculine virtue lost to the likes of Homer Simpson and The Family Guy.... garbage TV..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..