News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HR 308, Full Capacity Magazine Ban, Introduced 18 Jan 2011

Started by nmmi9100, January 19, 2011, 01:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

I'm sure most of ya'll have heard of this but for the ones who haven't, Rep McCarthy of New York introduced a bill to limit magazine capacities to 10 rounds using language similar to the old 1994 AWB.  However, this bill proposes to also prohibit transfer of magazines over 10 rounds after the enactment of the law and requires that full capacity mags made after the ban would be serial numbered and tracked.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-308

Pretty sure the last provision would not past 5th Amendment muster, as it would be a taking of private property without just compensation (if you can't sell something, the .gov has taken it's value from you, without compensation).

Now I don't really think this is going to pass.  It's possible, but I think unlikely.  HOWEVER, I'm always inclined to prepare for the worst so if there are any full capacity magazines you are needing or think you might need, you might want to get them ASAP.  I've ordered about $350 worth of mags in the past 2 weeks just in case, including 5 for an AR10 I don't own yet.

Anyway, just a heads up.

-David
Edgewood, NM

nyrasgt

Not surprised, as Maloney of NY already has same ban in place in NY regardless of Federal sunset of same...
Good news - no effect on AS events (other than the trickiness of over 10 rd mags @ NYS AS wkends...which might be good to research pre-emptively).
Bad news -obvious.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

sparks1

Now watch the price go through the roof for hoarders , etc. Same thing has happened with the ammo prices after the last Presidential election.

Want to keep this going???? Buy Buy Buy.

I don't buy on fear.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

yellowhousejake

Quote from: NMMI9100 on January 19, 2011, 01:43:47 PM
Now I don't really think this is going to pass.  It's possible, but I think unlikely.  HOWEVER, I'm always inclined to prepare for the worst so if there are any full capacity magazines you are needing or think you might need, you might want to get them ASAP.  I've ordered about $350 worth of mags in the past 2 weeks just in case, including 5 for an AR10 I don't own yet.

Don't throw your bucket overboard for a seat in the life boat, the idea is to save the ship for the passengers, not the passengers in spite of the ship.

Take your money and buy bricks of 22 and then invite 10 folks to an Appleseed.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Blue Five

This really does not surprise me...however, I doubt it will pass the House.  Boehner will probably not even bring it up for a vote.
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

SamD

ICEBERG!

QuoteTake your money and buy bricks of 22 and then invite 10 folks to an Appleseed.
This how to bail

Pvt.Joker

Certainly, getting people to an Appleseed will eventually start to reverse the inclination of people to elect fools.
At the same time, it is exactly this kind of "secondary " involvement (civic/legislative awareness, etc.) that we are preaching, is it not? While AS is a great thing, and I'm all in, we all need to be involved in other ways too.

"Soap box, ballot box, jury bo, ammo box. Use in that order."

This strikes me as soap box. Perfectly appropriate, IMNSHO.
;)
"The battlefields of history are littered with the bones of those, who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest; and, resting, died."   
"We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."
-John Adams, in a letter to his wife, Abigail.

desertrat144

Everything equal, it shouldn't pass the House or the lateral Senate Bill, but... there's Obama Care, &c.  Since Congress operates under different laws than the unwashed masses, trivial issues like the Bill of Rights are of little concern to them.  Unfortunately, the US Supreme Court has issued decisions that would allow the BoR circumvention, citations omitted.  

The best course of action?  Polite letters reminding your Congressman or Congress Weasel (as appropriate) that you vote, along with __ dozen of your best friends, and that working towards their re-election would be much more satisfying than work towards their defeat.  Get more folks to Appleseed.  Buy magazines & keep the receipts.  Most important on a personal level- when going to an out of state Appleseed be aware what laws apply to you mode of travel, especially what comes into play if you get delayed in a non 2A friendly state, county, or city.

Just some random thoughts.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

nmmi9100

Word is, POTUS will annouce gun control victim disarmament as part of his State of the Union address next week.  If he does, expect the panic buying to begin.  I suggest getting in ahead of that.

Ya'll buy all the 22 LR bricks you want.  I'm buying mags.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Devnull

How does this help us accomplish our mission here in NM?

Seriously, this is modern politics and I don't see a need for this topic on the New Mexico board. (Nor can I find a board where it fits...)

ICEBURG, like SamD said.

I'm locking this thread and will delete it in a couple of days.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."