News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NY Militia Law

Started by gunville, January 19, 2011, 12:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

Quote from: gunville on January 29, 2011, 09:29:49 AM
It's amazing how much power otherwise rational beings can assign to mere words

Mmm... True. Words like "I have not a man who is afraid to go", "The pen is mightier than the sword", and "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights"...

Words have great power. Wisdom lies in using them correctly.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

gunville

Quote from: dwarven1 on February 10, 2011, 10:20:29 PM
Quote from: gunville on January 29, 2011, 09:29:49 AM
It's amazing how much power otherwise rational beings can assign to mere words

Mmm... True. Words like "I have not a man who is afraid to go", "The pen is mightier than the sword", and "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights"...

Words have great power. Wisdom lies in using them correctly.

Let me restate that then:

It's amazing how much fear otherwise rational beings can assign to mere words.

militia! militia! militia! I love militia!  Without the militia where would we be?
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

ch45x7

Having not been on the forums for a while forgive me if I'm a little late to this discussion.

I don't think there is much to worry about with AS being shutdown because of this law.  I'm pretty sure it was put in place to try to keep the extreme anti government people in check.  As was stated, we have plenty in common with the NRA events that are held all over the state.

However; that being said I do have a concern regarding the Guide to Becoming a Rifleman that I got when I ordered some targets from Fred so I could keep practicing. (Shot 208 at the first AS I went to)  Most of the guide is very useful info in working towards that rifleman goal, but what could be a problem is the talk about what to do if the UN invades, the targets showing where to shoot armored vehicles, and the short (fictional) story about the town that fought back.

I understand that the guide comes from Fred's business and not AS, but as there is a connection between the two.  It could be problematic if someone were to try to go after AS for breaching this law.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the friends that I have shared this guide with have all expressed concerns when they got to that section of the guide.  Personally, I'm an adult and can make up my own mind about what is real/fake/likely/unlikely when reading even the most crazy "The government is out to get us!" crap out there.  Others are a bit more easily led though.

POC

US Code Title 10  Subtitle A  Part I  Chapter 13  Section 311

U.S.C. ยง 311 : US Code - Section 311: Militia: composition and classes
Search by Keyword or Citation   
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied
males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section
313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a
declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States
and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the
National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are -
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard
and the Naval Militia
; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of
the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the
Naval Militia.

As for Indiana, they amended our Constitution to say "Homeland Security"....   ::)
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.