News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rainbow, CA AAR, January 15-16, 2011.

Started by Camljr, January 17, 2011, 11:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

Great winter shoot here in California, Weather was nice (70+). We had a little wind in the morning, but it subsided.

Michael, Mark'sson shot rifleman at the Escondido shoot, and has been away at college (seventh stepping while there) and stepped up into an orange hat first thing in the morning... Congrats Michael... O0  Of course, we put him right to work clearing the line, and later as line boss, (toss em in the deep end, see if they can swim!)  &)

We had a full line of 22, with a lot of new shooters, including many youths that had never picked up a rifle before.
and for all that entails to get them up to speed (on paper) they started doing better later in the morning.
I will be short on the details because I want to give the other folks, and instructors, a chance to give their input.

Saturday, early redcoat hits showed we had some shooters... 3/100, 2/200, 2/300, 0/400, 0/HS, 0/cleared.
Saturday final redcoat scores showed some improvement...    1/100, 4/200, 2/300, 1/400, 2/HS, 0/cleared.

Nearly half the line was youth shooters, which we love to see... O0

Saturday AQT showed Norman with a 196 and Davis Sr. with a 165.

4Posterity (Mark) Received his well deserved red hat at the end of the day. Congrats Mark!!  :bow:

Sunday we had 15 return to a beautiful morning, and sunny skies all day.

Sunday, early redcoat hits showed they did not forget the instruction... 2/100, 1/200, 2/300, 4/400, 2/HS, 0/cleared.
Sunday final redcoat scores showed real improvement...                      1/100, 3/200, 0/300, 5/400, 3/HS, 1(-1)/cleared.

We did Ball and Dummy before lunch, and after lunch, broke the AQT grind up with the "unlucky gopher" team shoot, where I gave out prizes to the best team. It was close, but Norm and Ben won, and Norman took the .22 bore snake and Ben got the Knee pads.

Ended the day with Norman making RIFLEMAN!!! with a 210... you guessed it... Bathed in the north bridge water! !@#) I hope someone got that picture. This was his 7th Appleseed, and is the epitomy of perserverance. :wb: ~~:)

Other high scores of the day were: David Sr. got a 180, John (our honorary IIT) got a 200 and a 203 as our designated sniper. Steve -181, Zach-169, Ron-153, Maria-156, Mike-155.

Well, I hope everyone got intouch with their inner American, and connected with the heritage and will pass it on. I Love meeting folks at Appleseeds... they are the Cream of the Crop in America....

I will post some pics now... Everyone, feel free to chime in!

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

Pics now...
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

More pics...
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

StormN

Just want to send a quick note tonight to all of the instructors who have helped along the way. Thank You seems to be a a small token for all the work the instructors do. Justin, thanks for sitting on the line with me and getting me to relax and let the frustration out. The words of encouragement and tips from the rest of the crew at made the difference as well. Mark, Thank You for the challenge to pass the hat on. I look forward to working with all the instructors. More tomorrow night.  ^:)^
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Justin

What a great shoot! Congratulations on the score Norm and congratulations to everyone who came out! Was a sold out, max capacity shoot in Rainbow CA. It looks like Southern California and San Diego has the Rifleman and American spirit! 2 Great beautiful days, I was however a little sun baked by the end of Sunday. I guess the rest of the country can be a little jealous of that!  ;)

By mid Sunday steady hold factors and 6 steps were polished up to a brilliant shine! Marksmanship fundamentals were looking great. One thing I never get tired of though is hearing the strikes of the match! 4Posterity has such a depth, such a remarkable ability of telling them. It is awe inspiring to hear the history and heritage. A little dose of it on the weekend could get me through every week.

Thanks to everyone who came out for a wonderful shoot!

"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

rigmarol

This was my second AS and again, enjoyed it.
I Brought my adult son this time, hoping the heritage stories would speak to him and they did. He already wants to go to the next one. He had some trouble with the rifle he was using and will be looking to get another rifle he can work better with. He claims if he had his M4 from Iraq he's have qualified no problem...

I apologize for having to leave early Sunday. I have a heart issue that raised it's ugly head and I had to go home.  I had a similar issue on my first AS as well. I feel bad but I hope everyone understands I didn't want to leave and I can't wait for the next one.

I increased my score from last time, and I'm happy about that. Only by one point though. Time for more practice.

Thank you to the instructors and volunteers I can't tell you how much I respect you all for your time and dedication! Feel good about yourselves, you are doing a great job.

David Sr. (rigmarol)

Gideon

Congratulations to all!  I love to see pictures of new Riflemen and new Orange Hats!  O0

Norm, attending 7 Appleseeds, my hat is off to you sir!   :bow:

Gideon

Yugio

This was our first Appleseed event and we both learned alot about how to shoot a rifle and our history.  We highly recommended this to our family and friends.  (At least 2 said they wanted to go with us at the next shoot)   :---

Although neither of us made rifleman, we gained the fundamentals of marksmanship and look forward to attending the next event at Rainbow.  A big THANK YOU to the instructors, without you this would not be possible. 

Ron and Maria

SoulMan

This was my first AS as an IIT, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to learn from Cameron, Mark and Justin. Mark's rendition of the first strike was positively riveting.

The team did a great job running the line and ensuring the youngsters were safe and well-attended to, while providing a high level of instruction to all.

It was great to see so many families and couples on the line! My wife and I look forward to when my kids are old enough to teach them to shoot. Ron and Maria, I'm so glad you had a good time and look forward to seeing you at another shoot.

Congratulations, Norm. Persistence paid off! You'll be a great instructor.

- Joel
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

4Posterity

Justin hit it on the head, "what a great shoot".  What a great group of students.  Everyone was there to learn, and all appeared to be as interested in the heritage as in the marksmanship.  It sure makes it nice for the instructors when the participants are so "into" every bit of the program.  We had husbands and wives, fathers and sons, dad and daughters, uncle and nieces, moms and sons, and one mom with a gaggle of kids under her wing, some very young shooters, and a couple of Dangerous Old Men as well.

Hard to believe it is mid-January when the main weather concern was making sure everyone was staying cool and getting enough fluids to avoid dehydration, especially after reading about the Idaho Appleseeders wearing snowshoes to facilitate walking out to check their targets. 

I am on the road, but will post some photos later in the week when I get back and have a chance to upload them to the server.  Don't worry Cam, I probably won't be able to find any of the ones showing you shooting a PINK rifle.

And a few thoughts off the top of my head:

StormN Norman- Congratulations on shooting Rifleman, and an even bigger thanks for stepping up to take the orange hat.  You were there when Justin and I qualified as Riflemen and became IITs in Escondido, and it was quite rewarding to be there when you followed suit.  You obviously have the heart of a Rifleman, and understand persistence and what it can bring

David-  Really enjoyed having you at the first Rainbow Appleseed, and was very pleased to work with both you and D.J. (David's son) this weekend.  No worries about making Sunday a short day, we all understand and would rather have you back for future events than to push things. 

D.J.- great to see a dad and his son with what appears to be such a special relationship, especially when the son is "all-growed-up".  Hope to see you both back for another weekend.

Speaking of Father/son combos, Mike and John- you were great to work with.  It was especially gratifying to see John's score climb from around the 140 mark up and over 200.  Persistence and practice pay off.

I'm forgetting names, so will leave it at that for now.

Thanks so much to all who participated, just know what an honor it is for the instructors to have such passionate folks willing to come out and spend time with us learning and growing.

Mark
4Posterity

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

Mark!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are an asset to the program. Nice Hat.

Norm, CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the Rifleman score and welcome to the Instructor Corps. Glad to have you with us.

Michael Glad to have you with us as well.. Thanks for stepping up!

To All who attended, Thanks for getting off the couch for the weekend.    O0

Sounds like a great AS Cam!  :cool2:
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

rigmarol

I forgot one thing important to me that I wanted to mention.

After my first AS, the only suggestion I had was that I'd love to see the flag salute at the beginning.
I was very pleased it was added this time and hope it remains a part of the program.

And Norm, we've never met but I teared up a bit hearing of your perserverance. Congratulations. Truly inspirational. I hope we get to meet up again.