News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Special quirks about the rifles on the line

Started by fprintf, January 15, 2011, 09:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fprintf

There are tons of rifles on the lines here in Connecticut and almost all of them have a little quirk to effective operation. Whether it is the "trick" to getting a Ruger 10/22 magazine to drop free or the best way to load a Marlin 60 tube fed rifle. Here is one for the Marlin 795. Feel free to add anything else about this or other rifles in reply.
--

A number of times last year I saw shooters struggling to release an open bolt on a Marlin 795. In a few instances I was fortunate enough to be at the correct end of the line, but there were another couple of times when I wasn't able to help. It can be frustrating to any shooter when their rifle won't go into battery!

For those unfamiliar with the 795, the Marlin 795 has an "extra" bolt hold open feature that does not rely upon the lever under the trigger guard. This bolt hold open is activated by manually pushing the bolt handle in toward the receiver as the shooter pulls back the bolt. The bolt will seem stuck and no amount of fiddling with the usual bolt release lever will fix things. The appropriate way to get the rifle back into operation is to pull the bolt handle out slightly.

If anyone has any questions about this or would like to see a demonstration please let me know at the next shoot.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

Wheeler44

Good one.....

The Mossberg plinkster 702 has this feature as the only bolt hold open. It will mess up a shooter unfamiliar with it.

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

TruTenacity

Maybe you're answer can be found in the " Helpful Appleseed Rifle Information" board here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=255.0

I've not read through the whole board so I wouldn't know.  Just a thought.

TT
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9