News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

YEE-HAA! WE GOT SNOW! Or, ULP, We Have 20" to Shoot Through

Started by Firewall99, January 13, 2011, 10:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewall99

God has graced us with classic NH "winter conditions."  (Winter conditions are required for issuing those new Winterseed Rifleman badges.)  We now have about 20" of fresh, soft, new snow!  So, that hurdle is past.

Here's the next hurdle: we plop down on the line in prone, and now the snow is over our heads, or it soon will be once the mats or tarps compress it.  Ulp.

Now, how we gonna shoot in it?  The snow is light and highly compressible.

I know how I would do it, but I'm wondering what clever solutions you might have. 

"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

"Take away fear, and the battle of Freedom is half won." - William Ralp

nyrasgt

FW9,
  1)  Stepstool or ladder (for offhand).
  2)  Plywood (stretched across stepstool, sawhorses, or ladder, for prone).
  3)  Roof (of a nearby building, or vehicle, if any.  Two RVs, or occurs to me, Army Reserve 6x6s, could make an entire firing line) - any position.
  4)  Sled/toboggan (prone), snowshoes (offhand), snow "disc" (metal saucer sled) - kneeling or sitting.
  5)  Snowblow lanes, firing line to targets.
  6)  Borrow Snocat or snow mobiles and drive back and forth between target line and shooting line.
  7)  Borrow number of salamanders (forced-air kerosene heaters) and aim from firing line toward target line.
  8)  Borrow (see the pattern) local VF Dept pumper truck and turn hose on snow between FL and Tgt Line...
  9)  Locate elevated firing line, allowing firing downhill at targets.
10) Napalm, if available in quantity and inclusive of a delivery system...
    Choose wisely, grasshopper...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

MacMcM

I suggest a rolling party... from Firing line to target line. More efficient than feet.

Altho', the napalm sounds interesting....

But seriously, use a Jeep and pull a pallet around to drag the area.
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

Firewall99

Quote from: nyrasgt on January 13, 2011, 03:00:04 PM
FW9,
  1)  Stepstool or ladder (for offhand).
  2)  Plywood (stretched across stepstool, sawhorses, or ladder, for prone).
  3)  Roof (of a nearby building, or vehicle, if any.  Two RVs, or occurs to me, Army Reserve 6x6s, could make an entire firing line) - any position.
  4)  Sled/toboggan (prone), snowshoes (offhand), snow "disc" (metal saucer sled) - kneeling or sitting.
  5)  Snowblow lanes, firing line to targets.
  6)  Borrow Snocat or snow mobiles and drive back and forth between target line and shooting line.
  7)  Borrow number of salamanders (forced-air kerosene heaters) and aim from firing line toward target line.
  8)  Borrow (see the pattern) local VF Dept pumper truck and turn hose on snow between FL and Tgt Line...
  9)  Locate elevated firing line, allowing firing downhill at targets.
10) Napalm, if available in quantity and inclusive of a delivery system...
    Choose wisely, grasshopper...
Excelsior,
madMark

ROFLOL!  I knew we might have some fun with this.
"The timid and fearful cannot defend liberty or anything else." - G. Edward Griffin, author of The Creature from Jekyll Island and founder of Freedom Force International (www.freedom-force.org)

"You make the decision now to be afraid, and you will never turn back--your whole life, you will always be afraid."
-- From "Unbreakable"

The litany against fear is an incantation used by the Bene Gesserit in Dune to focus their minds and calm themselves in times of peril. The litany is as follows:

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

Firewall99

Quote from: jmdavis on January 13, 2011, 03:14:27 PM
stomping party to flatten out the FL and lanes to TL

This was the extent of my creativity.  Great minds think alike.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

jmdavis

flat sled pulled around the range with a supervisor sitting on it could do a good job too.

Something like this http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1443984&kw=sled&origkw=sled&searchId=53967033763 or a pulk would work. As would a couple of people on CC Skis, or with Snow Shoes.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Firewall99

Quote from: jmdavis on January 13, 2011, 04:34:50 PM
flat sled pulled around the range with a supervisor sitting on it could do a good job too.

Something like this http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1443984&kw=sled&origkw=sled&searchId=53967033763 or a pulk would work. As would a couple of people on CC Skis, or with Snow Shoes.

Well, I'm kind of short on RV's, fire trucks, snow-blowers, pulks, and the like.  But snow shoes I got, by geesum.

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

spitstickler

Please take lots of pictures! And if possible, shoot some video too. That would be awesome. I'm putting together a Winterseed video right now and I'm short on footage/images. 20" of snow will make for good cinema! :)

Beyond the obvious types of shots, would be nice to have a few extras that show measuring the snow depth, the temperature (thermometer), rifles laying in the snow, snow covered redcoats, targets, stuff that's frozen, etc. ..and anything else you can think of. We will put 'em to good use!

Thanks!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Firewall99

Quote from: spitstickler on January 13, 2011, 06:12:02 PM
Please take lots of pictures! And if possible, shoot some video too. That would be awesome. I'm putting together a Winterseed video right now and I'm short on footage/images. 20" of snow will make for good cinema! :)

Beyond the obvious types of shots, would be nice to have a few extras that show measuring the snow depth, the temperature (thermometer), rifles laying in the snow, snow covered redcoats, targets, stuff that's frozen, etc. ..and anything else you can think of. We will put 'em to good use!

Thanks!

YES!  Sorry I didn't think of it.  Thank you for all that you do!

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.

Firewall99

-- From "Unbreakable"

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain.