News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, (TWO OH EIGHT!) RBC After Action

Started by Junior Birdman, February 26, 2008, 05:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Birdman

The Ramseur, (TWO OH EIGHT!), RBC is in the can!  One solid week of great people, food, camping, and marksmanship!

This would be known as the "Doug Boot Camp" because there were so many Dougs there. We had to use screen names for all the Dougs, except for one, who became "Designated Doug"

There were a lot of things unchanged at the home range in Ramseur. (TWO OH EIGHT!) Same beautiful range, same excitement in the air. But this was a new RBC and a few new things were about to be seen for the first time.

The troops were out early every morning, rain or shine, cold or warm. They knocked off late every day, after a hard day on the range. They all worked hard and the results spoke for themselves. I saw great improvements and solid shooting skills develop. In addition, I saw instructors emerge who will be out there on the trail this year making more Riflemen.

History was covered every day, and by weeks end, the shooters were participating in "speed history" sessions, proving their knowledge of the events surrounding 19 April, 1775.

Lots of fun amidst the hard work, and shooters were tested against the "Minute Man Challenge", none yet measuring up. (Nobody has bested the challenge yet, though a couple have come close. Maybe you can be the first shooter in history to conquer the beast!)

We were assaulted by mutant, flesh eating, Chinese zombie paratrooper monkeys, disguised as pop up targets, on Thursday, but the troops fought them back with well aimed, concentrated fire and saved the planet.

Friday was "Mock Appleseed" day, and the troops put into practice all the things they'd learned during the week, so they could show others how to improve their shooting. We ended Friday with a team shooting competition that included shots on 4 minute targets at 100 and 25 yards by teams and ended with explosions and smoke and shouts and all the things that make this country great!. I think the instructors won.

The final exam was completed and duties were assigned for the next day's Appleseed shoot. The shooters had survived mornings of ice and chicken poo aroma, evenings of cold and coyotes. (Crash and "One Out" must have been racking slides that one night when the song dogs sounded off and it seemed they were in camp on that end of the range!)

Saturday brought 27 shooters out for the event and the RBC instructors were up to the task. I don't believe we've ever seen a group as well prepared for the Appleseed. They did a great job and required less correction or intervention than any group of instructors I've seen to date.

Sunday was cold and threatening rain, and only 9 shooters returned for the Appleseed. All were very squared away so we made it up to the Known Distance range quickly, and had run through the course out to 400 yards by mid afternoon.  Then back down the 25 yard range and more AQTs, and by 1500 there were 3 more Riflemen amongst the ranks! One more Minute Man Challenge, (no winners), and then a last AQT which garnered another Rifleman.

We closed out as a cold rain began and I started the long drive home. It was sad to know I faced the emails, TV, radio, newspapers, traffic, schedules, and work to come. Ten days spent in the woods of NC, in the company of Riflemen. There is no better place to be.  The only thing that will get me through is knowing that I'll be back there in June for another week of training. And this time there won't be any icicles on the tent.  JB

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

ornell

If you were not there, you made the wrong choice! This was an outstanding RBC. Great people, quality instruction and lots of trigger time. Oh, what will I do now that I am out of suntan oil......  ;D

This RBC was the definition of success as Rifleman & Instructors were made. Sure it was hard work, but it was good honest work, of which all can be proud.

Now, if we could just get that chicken farm moved..... AH, I love the smell of chicken dung in the morning, it smells like......  ;)

Old Dog

Oh well, I'll bet Ramseur RBC graduates are the only Appleseed instructors who can truthfully say that  one of their memories of their RBC week is that smell.  Like other memories of RBC week, whenever anyone mentions Ramseur, they'll remember, that smell.

I'll bet when Crash is on the line firing he doesn't even smell it.   ;D ;D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Redwolf

Had a great time, learned tons, thanks to the professional and down to earth instructors. Picked up good stuff on the RW too, as well as made new friends. Looking forward to seeing u all again.
So I have a lot of practicing to do between now and April.  As it is said, I'll Be Back.

Junior Birdman

My coiffeur is ruined. I have permanent hat head.  :'(  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

ornell

ROTFLMAO  ;D
Maybe you should try an Ornell haircut......

cannonman61

Hmmmm.........

Looks like a normal day in Kindergarten to me! ;) ;)
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

kDan

most fun I ever had wearing four layers of clothes and two jackets.

Y'all shore made me talk funny though, I'll tell you what ;)

(the wife says I picked up a bit of a twang down there)

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Old Dog

I've seen guys "in the bubble" not know they had bugs crawling on their face, not know they had a piece of hot brass on their arm, not know they just peeled a thumbnail back a little when reloading.  You've gotta get down there and be one with that front sight and the cheek weld and you won't know what the temperature is.  That's a fact.

You may feel it when you get done but you'll be so happy with the score you just shot it won't matter anymore.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle