News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Maj. Dick Winters

Started by jmdavis, January 10, 2011, 02:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmdavis

Pennsylvania media are reporting that Maj Winters E Co. 506PIR 101 Div has died. Most of us only have an inkling of him due to the work of Stephen Ambrose in his book "Band of Brothers" and the Hanks/Spielberg Miniseries of the same name.

As we lose more and more of our WWII veterans, I am both saddened and reminded of men of extraordinary accomplishment, courage, humility and leadership. Men who credited others for their successes but accepted the responsibilities of their failures. Men who quietly led by example. Men who we should aspire to emulate.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

AZOpie

Tears. Thank you for your post. God bless and watch over his soul.

AZO

boltgun71

Thanks for the post Mike.

Reading that I think an appropriatte reply to your feelings, I am reminded of by your signature line, would be another Patton quote...

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

He is truly a hero, no longer with us, but surely never forgotten.

Gordon

Richard D. Winters, a man "of extraordinary accomplishment, courage, humility and leadership. ... [a man] whom we should aspire to emulate", indeed.

Thank you, JMD.

MeanStreaker

An American hero if there ever was one.

Rest in Peace.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

spitstickler

He did author a book covering his military career. "Beyond the Band of Brothers"

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Band-Brothers-Memoirs-Winters/dp/0425213757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294681886&sr=8-1

It's a good read and he was a great man. Rest in Peace, sir.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison