News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Interesting artical on prone shooting

Started by Celt, January 01, 2011, 10:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt

I ran across the below article and found it rather interesting. It seemed to explain a shooter problem that we ran into at the last shoot. Just thought that I'd share it. Happy new year :). Ian http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek056.html
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

featherblue

Thank you for the link. Very interesting.

-fb

�Fear is the foundation of most governments.� -John Adams

Why there must be a test of knowledge before being allowed into the voting polls:  ... democracy, as defined by Mencken, is "...the worship of Jackals by Jackasses."

Cyclops WY

Very nice article.  Thanks for sharing.

Cyclops_WY  Out.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

Heimdhal

Good read and strangley farmiliar.

Somewhere, in the dark, troubled recesses of my mind I seem to remember a pair of loud, resounding voices, possibly belonging to PHenry and ThaiFighter, echoing all of these finer points on prone position and NPOA.........I think I just got the chills.......

:cool2: :---

Old Dog

I'm not a competition shooter so I don't have a clue where the sling is on their support arm, or is it around their support arm?  I didn't see a single picture that showed that big wide sling wrapped around the upper part of the bicep on any of those folks.  Does it hook to something on the jacket versus wrapping aroudn the arm?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

jmdavis

Quote from: Old Dog on January 03, 2011, 05:52:46 PM
I'm not a competition shooter so I don't have a clue where the sling is on their support arm, or is it around their support arm?  I didn't see a single picture that showed that big wide sling wrapped around the upper part of the bicep on any of those folks.  Does it hook to something on the jacket versus wrapping aroudn the arm?

OldDog,

Happy New Year!!

There is usually a hook on the arm of the hard shooting jackets (cordura/leather). The sling attaches there.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner