News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Need Your Advice

Started by Lady Cincinnatus, December 29, 2010, 12:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Cincinnatus

Life involves fears and concerns over which we often feel we have little control.  I know that many of you are veterans, hunters, shooters, moms, and dads.  Surely some of you have experienced such situations.  Would you please share your techniques or solutions for getting past these worrisome and challenging times?  I'd like to make 2011 a triumph over some of my own.  Thanks.

JustJeff

My answer to the trying situations and trying times has been "Faith."
I don't preach, spout Bible verses, or otherwise push religion upon folks; your relationship with your God is your own business.  However, I've found that faith in yourself, faith that God will provide what you need (not what you want), and faith that there is nothing you cannot handle will get you through most situations.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Earl

Ah, one should only fear the Lord. But when you find things beyond your control, don't dwell on them, pick the part you can control and control it. Just thinking about all one can't do gets one stuck under the covers waiting for the fears to go away. Find what you can handle and do it right, then on to the next piece. Kind of like sitting on the beach at Normandy - one person couldn't win the way to the top, but one person can move forward to cover, then to the flank, then into blowing up or going through wire, --- we teach six steps, four steps, and such because we can handle one thing at a time. You did one thing, you asked, don't fuss the shot, don't dwell on what you can't do find the things you can.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Wade

Just Jeff and Earl sumed it up pretty good ,,,for myself some times just getting out of myself and helping others helps ,,I have a few things going on that myself that I cannot fix and have to let go and let God, ie I can't ,,he can ,,I think I will let him.

I can't think of anything more to add ,,pm me if you wish.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Two Wolves

Quote from: Lady Cincinnatus on December 29, 2010, 12:43:02 PM
Life involves fears and concerns over which we often feel we have little control.  I know that many of you are veterans, hunters, shooters, moms, and dads.  Surely some of you have experienced such situations.  Would you please share your techniques or solutions for getting past these worrisome and challenging times?  I'd like to make 2011 a triumph over some of my own.  Thanks.

Repeat after me, " God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The power to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

I have this printed on the back of my business cards. One message I must convey is stop listening to all the negative, fearmongering rhetoric from the media and the public. All of the doom and gloom is enough to overwhelm any normal  individual. This is why I endorse APPLESEED. It's a positive message all around.

One of the first things I do when I hear someone speaking is to ask myself if what I'm hearing is True, False, or unknown. If it's unknown or false I don't want it in my head. It's useless garbage to me. (garbage in--garbage out) If it's a conversation that I'm interested in and parts are unknown to me then I enjoy researching the topic so I can make my own decision as to how to internalize it. I'm amazed at how people just read and repeat, or listen and repeat. Think about this,(You live your whole life in your head).It's whats in your head that affects how you feel.

Be strong, Be courageous, ~Two Wolves~

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

SavageShootr

Lady Cincinnatus.

I will Pray for you. I am a mom. I know how trying things can be.

If God brought you to it, he will bring you through it.

You can PM me if you wish.

God Bless.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

dragonfly

Keep the Faith
Be true to yourself
Know your limitations

dragonfly   Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

SamD

I'll give you something totally Appleseed related:

QuoteI advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Ths Jefferson Letter to Peter Carr, Paris August 19 1785

Believe it or not, if you master your rifle, you'll come to master yourself in both mental and physical ways.
This confidence will go a long way toward helping you relate to your environment and the challenges you'll face in life.  You'll gain some things that you can positively control and it will change your approach to the world and life.
"Boldness, Enterprise, and Independence to the Mind"

CSHR

LC,

My friend Laylo gave me this one: Fear is Fictional Evidence Appearing Real.

I lean towards philosophy with a tinge of 'reality' if you will.

We have only the illusion of control.

Depending on where you're headed with the request would facilitate potentially different answers.
Faith does it for some (with each philosophy/religion having it's devotes and knowing 'it' is the 'only true one'). Yoga and meditation for others. Buddhism teaches how we create our own difficulties/frailties and gives lessons on how to 'undo' these.

Understanding that 'the past' & 'the future' are not real but only electro-chemical encodeations in the brain(aka thought processes) leaves you with the only 'reality' being...now, now, now, etc.

On a more practical plane, studying and learning, about things and situations, often gives one the felt strength to deal with them and then transfer this 'feeling' towards doing so with new situations.

The medical field has evidence that being 'depressed' will actually change the chemistry of the person's brain....you get what you practice. Some people are born with abnormalities both physically and/or emotionally/mentally, as we learn more about chromosomes and how to manipulate them, I'm sure we will soon be able to produce 'the master race'.

Be sure what you ask for, you just might get it!

Try:
The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews...the book not the cd, etc.
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Both are easy to read, not very long, and point out great information for use.

On an easier note....you already have the power to make 2011(heck, start right now) exactly what you want it to be, work at it, don't take no for an answer, know thyself, do the right thing.......

CSHR/michael
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

spider

I do it one day at a time.  Sometimes one minute at a time.

The last three years have been very trying for me.  I lost my Mom after her ten year struggle with dementia, two dogs in the same week and ran a business during the worst economy since 1933 while carrying $100,000 in accounts receivable.  There were times that I would read the obituaries and feel envious.

I have learned not to dwell on the past and not to worry about the future.  I only have the present and if I focus all of my energies and attention in this one moment I can create a lot of good.

I have also realized that the simple things in life are the most important.  Spending time with my wife.  Enjoying my health.  Training a new puppy.

And I got rid of my TV.  That thing was depressing.

As my Nana used to say, "This too shall pass."
Work equals force times distance.  Force equals mass times acceleration.

"Live Free or Die;  There are many evils worse than death."  Gen. John Stark

dart67eb

Quote from: spider on December 29, 2010, 10:15:25 PM
I do it one day at a time.  Sometimes one minute at a time.

The last three years have been very trying for me.  I lost my Mom after her ten year struggle with dementia, two dogs in the same week and ran a business during the worst economy since 1933 while carrying $100,000 in accounts receivable.  There were times that I would read the obituaries and feel envious.

I have learned not to dwell on the past and not to worry about the future.  I only have the present and if I focus all of my energies and attention in this one moment I can create a lot of good.

Spider is a smart guy.  I remember one of my Drill Sergeants saying to us, "Take it one day at a time."  To this I'll add that worrying never solved anything.  Figure out the best thing you can do based on what you know now and do it.  God bless you.
I have also realized that the simple things in life are the most important.  Spending time with my wife.  Enjoying my health.  Training a new puppy.

And I got rid of my TV.  That thing was depressing.

As my Nana used to say, "This too shall pass."
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Lady Cincinnatus

Thank you all for the inspirational posts.  I feel much better armed to attack my issues now.   :~     

Roundhouse

Resident Newbie