News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

DASHBOARD: Colebrook - February 26/27, 2011 Status & Task List

Started by CortJestir, December 28, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CortJestir

Status and Task List for:
Colebrook Appleseed - February 26/27, 2011
Last Updated: March 1, 2011

Event Information

Location:The Northwestern CT Sportsmen's Association - Colebrook, CT
Date:February 26-27, 2011
Shoot Boss:CortJestir (SB), The Log (SBIT)
Instructors/IITs:Who_Me?, Glock23, JayHaich, freedomwon, fprintf
Pre-Registrations: 7/14
Event Information Page:http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=19594.0
Pre-Registration Page:http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1160132989
Flyer Download: Event Flyer: TBD
CT Flyer: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12171.0

Tasks / Action Items
These items below require action. Please respond in this thread to volunteer and complete a task or fill a role.
Items with names and dates in parens have been assigned and are in progress. Items with a strike are complete.

Logistics, Administrative and Staffing

• Host contacted
  • Present to club's Board of Directors
  • Event scheduled with Host
  • Host Application signed and submitted
  • EIP information submitted
  • Shoot Boss needed
  • Red Hats needed
  • Orange Hats needed welcome
  • Management of target backers and shoot supplies (The Log)
  • Pre-shoot setup

Promotional Tasks

• Distribute Event Flyers at Newington Gun Exchange, Hoffman's, JoJo's, Milford Gun and Safe, other gun stores
  • Distribute Event Flyers at CT public ranges (All volunteers)
  • Post event information at your gun club / Mention Appleseed at your gun club's next meeting (All volunteers)
  • Post event information at CTShooting.com
  • Post event information at Northeastshooters.com
  • Post event information at AR15.com
  • Post event information at TheFiringLine.com
  • Post event information at TheHighRoad.org
  • Other promotional tasks?

Promotional Efforts to Date

CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

The Log

"The future belongs to those that show up." - hawkhavn

The Log

Per host club suggestion, we'll be moving this shoot to the rifle range - the pistol range is snowed under and difficult to plow out. Conditions are a little better on the rifle range. We can open every other door and fold them back flat so we have a clear firing line - that's right, we're shooting from under cover  ^:)^ Plus, we'll have the heat on, for what that's worth. It might spoil our chances for a Winterseed, but it also gives us room for way more than 14 shooters.

Let's talk this one up, folks! Anyone who's not quite ready for a full-on Winterseed or is reluctant to get snowed on might be able to be talked into this shoot.

CortJestir

Thanks, Log. I'll ask RWVA Admin team to up the shooter cap. Can we have the max 30 there or should we lessen it to 20 or 25, given how much snow there is?

vernic82

Quote from: The Log on January 24, 2011, 09:27:21 PM
P - that's right, we're shooting from under cover  ^:)^ Plus, we'll have the heat on, for what that's worth.

C'mon - I thought the NW Hills were where the tough guys were from in this State!?!?!?!?!?!

Come to Lebanon (if you have it in you) to be a part of the 1st Winterseed in CT! **)
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

The Log

Quote from: CortJestir on January 24, 2011, 09:31:29 PM
Thanks, Log. I'll ask RWVA Admin team to up the shooter cap. Can we have the max 30 there or should we lessen it to 20 or 25, given how much snow there is?
We'll need to get CW's input on this. To have a clear view, we'll need to open only every other door and fold them back flat. I think that would be 15 ports then, but they're wide doors, so we might be able to fit 2 per port. My instinct says we can up it to 20 or so, but I'd like to look it over first. I'll try to get up there this weekend, after the next Snowpocalypse.

Glock23

Quote from: vernic82 on January 25, 2011, 09:28:57 PM
C'mon - I thought the NW Hills were where the tough guys were from in this State!?!?!?!?!?!

True statement.   :---

TOMINCT

Quote from: The Log on January 26, 2011, 10:25:48 AM

We'll need to get CW's input on this. To have a clear view, we'll need to open only every other door and fold them back flat. I think that would be 15 ports then, but they're wide doors, so we might be able to fit 2 per port. My instinct says we can up it to 20 or so, but I'd like to look it over first. I'll try to get up there this weekend, after the next Snowpocalypse.
[/quote]
I think we'll get 15 in the covered range with every other port open. 3 per port, with 5 ports closed and 5 open. That's about the best it will get with the doors staying on. At least you'll have the option of KD if the snow melts!! **) **) **)
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

The Log

Just a quick recon note. TOMINCT and I checked out the range with ChuckWagon yesterday. The pistol range is out - too much snow. There is indeed room for at least 15 on the rifle range in the previously mentioned configuration, or up to 30 if we take the doors off, which CW says we can do. We'd just have to allot extra time to that task and allow for weather.

Target line - CW will run the tractor across the 75-85 meter area so we have walking room in front of the target line. Our regular target backers should work fine once he trims down the snow pack. Tom or I will whistle up the club snowthrower before the shoot and cut at least one path from the firing line to the target line to speed up the walk down to check targets.

Firing line - can be completely under cover. We should bring steel shovels or ice chippers so we can clean up the apron if needed. Tom cleared snow off the roof of the enclosure with a roof rake, risking attack by those who need one of the hard-to-find devices. But he fought off the hordes and managed to get the roof clean, so dripping and splashing in front of the shooters won't be an issue.

Parking - no problem. The club is keeping it clean, if a little slick in some spots.

Off to work - got to get one day in before the snow starts and I have to work from home. BTW Tom, thanks for letting my son shoot the SKS - but now he has Yugo-lust! Guess I've got to add one more rifle to the safe...

The Log

I secured a "promise to appear" from my neighbor, aided by pointing out that we'll be shooting from under cover. He's going to bring his older son if he's not working, and he's asking a hunting buddy to attend. So that's at least one more, possibly three, and my son will be coming to work out his new 10/22, so we're up by two to four. Now to get them signed up...

The Log

OK, here's the first entry for the Personal Seventh Stepping Rule in effect for this shoot. For those not in the know, all instructors for this shoot have been asked to personally contact at least two people and ask them to attend this shoot. They'll then PM me the results of the contact, which I'll post here. The goal is to sell out this shoot.

With that in mind, here's what I've done so far (pardon the repetition from any posts above):

• Scott, my neighbor. He did the Colebrook shoot last March with me, almost made Rifleman, and promised he'd sign up for this one. Said he'd bring his son if he's not working that day, and he's asking a hunting buddy of his to come along. I'll follow up with an email to see what his status is.
  • Tom, my son. Shot Rifleman back in December, now he's going to do it with iron sights (although he doesn't know it yet). Signed up and ready to go.
  • Ryan, mayor of my town. Sent him an invitation and offered him the "elected official" waiver. He wrote back and said he'd try to clear time in his schedule, that he was very interested. He can't complain about the cold, since he participated in the "Penguin Plunge" at Highland Lake in Winsted yesterday. I'm following up with another email, mainly so I can tell hi that I'm going to invite...
  • Roberta, my state representative, also on the EO waiver. She's from the "other side of the aisle" from the mayor, so I'm inviting her to make sure we maintain a good non-partisan balance, in addition to the importance of lawmakers seeing what AS is all about

That's what I've got so far. Now get on the phones, get those emails out, and PM me the results. Let's see who can beat me!!

The Log

The Seventh Stepping is paying off...

Eventbrite puts this event at 8 slots left. I think the limit is still listed as 14, so we've jumped up to 6 in a couple of days! It would be even better if the limit had been pushed to 20, but I don't think it was. Either way, a nice fat jump. Way to shake the weeds! ^:)^

TOMINCT is the latest to report on his personal 7th Stepping efforts. He reports that he has kept "some light steady pressure" on his friends Dave and Mike, and Mike might bring his two sons. Could his efforts be responsible for the four new pre-registrations? Inquiring minds want to know.

Keep up the good work! And just as a teaser, I may have some exciting news on the registration front soon. Stay tuned.

The Log

Jay Haich says he's working on his friend Jim - good job Jay.

Spoke to Eric L. from NWCSA today, but he doesn't feel like the cold will do him any good. But he does want to come out for the April shoot in Colebrook, along with his wife and the son of a friend. So if you can't get 'em for this one, sell 'em on another shoot.

freedomwon

I have contacted a family that I know who has been interested in attending an appleseed. I also have another friend who might come up to see what the shoot is all about for attending a future appleseed. I have 2 more friends to contact. Phil

The Log

Good job, Phil, thanks for the effort. If they can't/won't come to Colebrook this weekend, don't forget about Hartford two weeks later (Mar 12-13), and Colebrook and Chaplin again for our big April 19th shoot, scheduled for April 16-17 this year.

freedomwon

The family can not make this one but will attend an Appleseed any time after March., One friend is looking into this weekend but if he can not, he will attend March or April. 2nd friend the same. Phil

fprintf

My friend TonyV is planning to be a walk-on for Colebrook on Saturday, possibly Sunday. At the last Lebanon shoot he was pre-registered for Saturday but got really sick and couldn't show up. So I don't think he wants to take any chances with registering on EventBrite again.

So make at least one open place for him.  With The Log's permission, I will also be there.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

The Log

Phil --

Thanks for the effort - keep Colebrook in mind for the big April shoot. We'll be running two at once in CT that weekend - the other one is at Chaplin.

Stuart --

Good job - walk-ons are always welcome. By my count, it appears that we'll have 8 or 9 for at least Saturday. And you're always welcome, especially when I can delegate the bulk of the instruction to you! I hate to tear you away from the V-man's crew, though, but I suspect the chow is going to be much better on this side of the state.

Keep up the good work, everyone. And don't forget to talk up Hartford on March 12 and 13...

</log>

freedomwon

CortJestir

7am, if you can make it. I just sent you an email with other particulars, Phil. Thanks for helping out this weekend! Looking forward to seeing you again.

fprintf

Awesome day in Colebrook, quite cold in the morning but it warmed up reasonably before feeling darn cold again in the afternoon. Maybe not up to Colebrook standards for cold but I am still warming up. We ended up with 7 shooters on the line at one point, unfortunately not everyone stayed for the whole day. 3rd strike @ 5 pm had 5 attendees.

I don't know what kind of AR Billy is running down the end there, but it is freakin' loud. I almost go deaf through plugs and ear muffs. I don't know how James is coping with it. LOUD NOISES!

Looking forward to participating in the AAR tomorrow. Nice job to our IITs and SBIT for a job well done so far.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it people like me!  ~Stuart Smalley

The Log

Sorry I won't be able to join you guys out there today as planned. When we got home last night, I found my wife flat out on the couch with a 103 fever and sore throat. After chastising her for not calling me - she didn't want to disrupt the Instructor's Dinner - I determined that I really can't up and leave her alone all day today, so I've got to beg off and leave the shoot in CJ's capable hands.

She was perking up a bit by bedtime, so if she's a little better later on I'll try to get back out there. Liz is disappointed - she really wanted to bang out some AQTs with her fellow instructors today. But we'll see what we can do. So for now, just carry on and make some more Riflemen today! And enjoy that lunch that's on its way...

fprintf

Glad to see Dan, Liz and Tom did make it out just before lunch time, happy to hear Mom is doing OK.

Awesome time today, a bunch of the instructors got trigger time which is quite unusual. Can't wait for the AAR to add a whole bunch of details!

edit: Requalified as a Rifleman after a fairly rusty start. My previous qualification was on a scope (212), so this 216 with apertures was an improvement. Snowing when I shot it (along with a few others), so the coveted Winterseed patch was awarded.

Ask James to post one of his. He was gunning for a 250 with Freedomwon's cheater 10/22 and I think he ended up somewhere above 240!  He is without a doubt the best shooter we have in Connecticut Appleseed, though Glock23 sure tried to knock him down a peg, rather unsuccessfully I will add! >:D

fprintf