News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Getting ready for AS

Started by Francis Marion, December 27, 2010, 09:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis Marion

Questions about MA law and shooting programs:

1)  Is it legal to send an air rifle to a person in MA? 

2)  Any structured youth or family-friendly shooting activities (22 caliber or air rifle) available for persons near Framingham who don't own firearms? 

I am looking for shooting programs suitable for young persons for the time 'in between' Appleseeds.   

Thanks for any info. 

mike93lx

Quote from: Francis Marion on December 27, 2010, 09:51:39 PM
Questions about MA law and shooting programs:

1)  Is it legal to send an air rifle to a person in MA? 

2)  Any structured youth or family-friendly shooting activities (22 caliber or air rifle) available for persons near Framingham who don't own firearms? 

I am looking for shooting programs suitable for young persons for the time 'in between' Appleseeds.   

Thanks for any info. 

Air rifles are not regulated in MA, as far as I know.  There is a youth rifle program at Harvard Sportsmen's Club once weekly and I believe the Holliston Sportsmen's Club has something similar.

Call GOAL (goal.org) as they may be able to point you in the right direction as well as give you some advice on any pertinent laws.  Their number is 5083935333.

Francis Marion

Thank you for the info. 

Air rifles in MA are not regulated like firearms, and minors have to use them under supervised conditions in appropriate places, from what I have learned. 

From mass.gov, Public Safety:
"Q: Is a license required to possess an air gun (i.e. bb or pellet guns, so-called air rifles or air pistols, paint ball guns) or ammunition therefore (i.e. bb's, pellets, CO2 cartridges, paint balls)?

A:  An FID Card is not required to possess an air gun in Massachusetts. Air guns are regulated by M.G.L. c. 269, ยง12B which limits their use by minors who are not accompanied by an adult, holding a sporting or hunting license, or holding a permit from the chief of police. Massachusetts law also prohibits anyone from discharging air rifles from across streets, alleys, public ways or railroads or railway right of ways. It should also be noted that an FID Card or an LTC are not required to purchase an air gun or ammunition. As such, the state FA10 form should not be used to record the sale of such air guns."

Source:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Firearms+Records+Bureau&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops