News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New here, prepping a Chipmunk for Appleseed

Started by 4L21, December 16, 2010, 11:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4L21

Hi there, I've just discovered Appleseed, and think its a fantastic idea. I intend on bringing out my 7 year old and the wicked Chipmunk. I'm looking for tips on prepping the Chipmunk, scope or no scope. My main concerns are with the trigger and sights. I'd love to find a better peep sight, but have failed so far.
Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

dart67eb

I've been down this road.  Get a cheap 4x scope with low rings from Walmart and the mount kit from Chipmunk.  Get a GI sling and maybe a piece of foam for the comb.  That'll do just fine until you cut the stock down on a Marlin 795. 
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

4L21

Thanks Dart, I'm leaning towards the same line of thought. I also wanted to add that I already have a 10/22 on the bench waiting for his arms to get longer. I'll probably put on a 16" Tacsol barrel to make things a little lighter for now. But he is just a bit to small for the 10/22. Maybe by the end of this upcoming summer....

Cheeks

I like the S&W 15-22 because of the adjustable stock, and the fact that it's light. I think there are adjustable stocks for the 10/22 as well.

Sorry, I know this wasn't what you were asking about. I wasn't trying to hi-jack your thread. But after trying a Cricket and 10/22 with my kid, the 15-22 worked much better.

4L21

No need to apologize, any help is appreciated. I'm more concerned at this point in making sure he will have what he needs to take full advantage of an Appleseed shoot at his age and skill level. (7, and has been with Dad to the plinking range half a dozen times) I pretty much sold that my boy needs to stick with a single shot to learn fundamentals, then we will worry about the semi auto stuff. I have plenty of .22's to use myself as an avid 10/22 tinkerer and connoisseur of all things rimfire, I have a pretty good idea where I want to go with him once he reaches that point.

dart67eb

The key is to remind him to make every shot count. 

dart67eb

The 795 is really light and you don't mind cutting down the stock.  It will last him like that for years and replacements are under $50.  See http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10883.0  Mine is in there somewhere.

4L21

Quote from: dart67eb on December 16, 2010, 02:14:12 PM
The key is to remind him to make every shot count.  

Absolutely! O0

I'm a little shy about the 795, as I've been shooting and building 10/22's for 15 years now. I know 'em inside and out. I've also taken a liking to my T/C Classic and CZ's. I'll probably use my classic to shoot the Appleseed myself, unless I make a LTR by then.

SamD

The only prep you need is to make sure it functions safely/properly, put a sling (as opposed to carrying strap) on it and sight in at 25 meters.

Nothing special needed.

4L21

Quote from: SamD on December 16, 2010, 07:55:49 PM
The only prep you need is to make sure it functions safely/properly, put a sling (as opposed to carrying strap) on it and sight in at 25 meters.

Nothing special needed.

Its easy to forget what its all about isn't it. ;) I have as much fun building and tinkering with the rifles as I do shooting them. I guess I need reminded that it isn't about that, and that's what attracted me to the program in the first place.

jimmythegeek

My wife was a little uneasy with the notion of our 9 year old rocking a semi-auto, so I took that as her blessing to pick up a CZ Scout.  While it ships with a single shot adapter, it will take regular 5 and 10 round mags (which I have) and which are easier to swap than on the Marlin 795 with an extra stock I was going to cut down to get a shorter length of pull.

Win all around, except my wallet.