News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Waco, GA (West Georgia Youth Range) Dec. 11-12, 2010

Started by franklinfarmer, December 12, 2010, 06:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

After Action Report:

Your instructors were:
franklinfarmer
cswhitfield
Wabash
Anna

This was a record setting shoot.

For starters, we had 8 preregistered shooters, and only two showed up.  But 12 walked on.

Second, of the 14 shooters, we had 5 rifleman scores:

Jerry (who also took an orange hat)
David (with a couple scores high up in the 230s with a cz bolt action)
Mead (having made steady progress over several shoots)
Seth (shooting with a new stock---that fits his 11 y.o. frame---for the first time and getting a 220)
and
John (who, for stage three of the last AQT on Saturday, pulled two of the three prepped mags out of
his pocket and came up with two 2s---instead of a 2 and 8.  That's 6 rounds short.  But it was still a 204.)   :cool2:

Edit:  Seth and John are also taking orange hats.

I was testing a theory of mine that the wicked always prosper in November when I made all kinds of provocative remarks about needing worse weather at the Waco shoots.  You see, I was figuring that I would bring the wrath on whoever showed up in December---while I was down in sunny south Florida enjoying myself at the rifleman boot camp.  As fate would have it, I ended up being unable to make the RBC and working the Waco shoot.  So, I figured I was in for it.

It was a bit chilly at times...and the sleet and snow on Sunday was a tad challenging.  But I think I scared the worst of it away by bringing really good gear.  Didn't even have to get out the serious rain gear...and wore only one pair of boots all weekend.  

There.  Maybe that will leave something for you folks who attend the February Waco shoot.  Seriously, it's a nice range, and always attracts a good collection of shooters and instructors who make it hard to stay away.

Adam joined Craig (CS) and I for camping after we had bedded down for the night.  We jumped out of our vehicles (all bundled up) to find him hanging around in shorts and flip-flops.  Now there's a tough guy for you.

In addition to the 5 rifleman scores mentioned above, we had at least three shooters knocking on the door.  Jessie was one...to whom Mrs. Farmer offers her sincerest apologies for "helping" on his AQT (and apparently most of his other targets during the day).  I guess we know where her natural point of aim was.

Travel Patriot, who had worked the gun show last weekend, was glad to see his efforts pay off so quickly with two young brothers (Will and Trent) and their parents in attendance.  Good work boys.  He also got to make a new friend with Dr. Joe---a new shooter---who we all heartily welcome.

While apologies are coming from the Farmer family, I here publicly apologize to Leah for forgetting I left her Cricket key in the glove box, and she had to sit out most of the day due to having accidentally pushed the evil safety button.  At least she got a few rounds down range in the afternoon when I remembered.

Sunday morning Wabash and CS and I were just reviewing the safety rules, from our makeshift shelter on the range---which had miraculously survived the torrential rains and winds overnight.  Then we were thinking to pack up and go home, when John showed up.  After cheering his arrival, we did a quick three on one review of technique on one page of squares and then he shot something in the 230s with a scoped 22.  We made him repeat that performance once more, before making him do it a couple times with iron sights.  Wabash and CS joined in for an AQT followed by Craig's venison chili on the range and an informal discussion of William Heath and some dangerous old men---and come ups.  We then went out to 100 yards for a few shots on 4 inch squares and called it a day.

That's a quick summary, and I'm sure I'm forgetting (important) things, but let me put this out there and let the other shooters and instructors fill in their impressions.  Most importantly, provide for us any advice you have on how we can improve.

====Edit====

Before I throw them out, here are the (Saturday) Redcoat numbers from this shoot:

400     300     200     100     H  cleaned
morning           2        4        0         3     3           1
afternoon        5        0        3         1     4
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Piker

Thank you too all the instructors and fellow shooters on Saturday an for the instructors who stuck around on Sunday. Nothing quite like 3 on one instruction!   ~~:)

After the 239, shot a 226 also with a scope (will be 47 next month after all), then with the irons and a touch of hypothermia, shot a 209. Could barely add that one up as my mind was so fogged by the cold.  ++)

Will gladly take an orange hat! Waco is an excellent facility, with excellent instructors and shooters. O0

Now, maybe the dreams of an IIT from the first shoot I attended over at Columnbiana screaming "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!!!!!! UNLOAD AND CLEAR!!!!!" and having only just changed mags will "cease."  :D

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Wabash

This was my first shoot with an Orange Hat.  I really enjoyed the experience.  The insturctors  Franklinfarmer and Craig are great to learn from. With only Craig being the only Orange Hat having experinece, Fraklinfarmer did great with me and Anna as his only other help. Saturday as said above had four Riflemen score with a couple knocking on the door (including Travel Patriot). My son Mead made Rifleman was was particularily special for me.

While Saturday was cool, Sunday was in a other whole other catagory.  Only Piker had the crazy notion to shoot Sunday. With the snow falling so did the temperature.  By middle afternoon it was 28F. Franklinfarmer seemed unfazed with Craig, Piker & I  beginning to feel the weather.  Piker shot  several great Rifleman scores despite  the conditions.  Rather than wimp out, I think  somewhere along the line, we decided that we ran out of staples and where forced to quit!  Thanks to all who came to make it a great weekend.
Kayla

cswhitfield

The first "tip of the hat" goes to all of the shooters who showed up for a day experiencing American Heritage.  You guys are great and the reason Our (that includes all of you) program continues to grow.  The second tip of the hat goes to Anna and Kayla.  Two brand new IITs who did exceptional jobs.  A BIG tip of the hat to Franklinfarmer who did an outstanding job running the event with, as Kayla pointed out above, the bare minimum of help (two new IITs and a recently promoted IIT2).  Throw in some rather challenging weather (at least for Georgia) and John had his hands full.  Great job Boss is more than appropriate, add in five (5) new Riflemen and outstanding is more like it!

All the shooters were great, from the first timers to those who have attended before.  Shooting offhand with wind gust from 20-30 mph is a challenge.  Throw in some temperatures in the high 20s to low 30s and it becomes even more so.

When John and I went to bed Friday night after Barbecue and chili we were concerned about the predicted cold weather and rain and how it would affect turn out.  When I woke up Sat. morning and found Adam curled up in his sleeping bag on the ground out in the open I couldn't believe it.  He had also brought chili which he generously shared at lunch on Saturday to all who were interested.

Below are a few pictures.  I will add other comments as they come to mind along with additional pictures.  I still have not figured out how to upload more than 4 or 5 at a time.

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

franklinfarmer designed and provided a shelter to provide some relief from the wind and predicted rain.  It was very welcome on Saturday to those that needed a brief break from the elements.  Folks up in New England and the Midwest may scoff but temps. in the upper twenties with wind gusts from 20-30 mph are "bad weather" to us Georgia folk (at least this one).
cs
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

More pics from Saturday.  I want to also express my appreciation for Will and Trent and their parents for coming.  It was a pleasure meeting you at the Gun Show and even more so seeing you at Waco.

cswhitfield

More from Sat.

cswhitfield

Saturday Riflemen

cswhitfield

Saturday night and early Sunday the wind picked up and the rain fell.  Fortunately the heavy rain stopped before we got up and going Sunday morning.  The shelter survived the overnight rain and wind but the 30-40 mph gusts during the day Sunday proved too much and the shelter collasped.  No way we could get it back up in the wind.  As already noted we had one hardy soul show up to shoot so we kept at it and another Rifleman emerged.  We had not even made it from camp to the firing line when it started sleeting.  By the way if you have not had the pleasure of hot barbecue sandwiches for breakfast you don't know what you are missing.  Many thanks to Mrs. "farmer".

cswhitfield

With only one shooter on the line and his having fired and repeated rifleman scores.  In true Appleseed flogging tradition the Boss put his Orange Hats down on the line to run through a couple of AQTs to make sure they were keeping up their marksmanship skills.  Fortunately more riflrman scores were obtained by all or else I am sure the floging would have continued.  We all moved back to 100 yds for some "fun" shooting.  2.5 MOA from a $100.00 rifle ain't too bad.  Love those Marlin 795s.

The end

Son of Isaac

Excellent facility!  Excellent instructors! 

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Wabash, CSWhitfield, FranklinFarmer, and his talented family.  Great people, great fellowship and great fun!

I was most impressed by the teaching style of FranklinFarmer and the creative aids that he and his family constructed especially for Appleseed. 

Waco is a great facility.

Thanks again to all who helped.  Congratulations to those who qualified Rifleman.  I look forward to our next gathering.

~TravelPatriot

Piker

Being the only pupil who showed on Sunday and still in awe of the 3 instructors who stayed, I'd be proud to take an Orange Hat.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson