News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FOUND- Reaonable Ar-22 platform from Mossberg

Started by Alpha Chicken, December 09, 2010, 11:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha Chicken

I just stumbled across this tonight. I think it might be an easier way to get a trainer rifle than dudding up a 10/22. No way to tell for sure until I get one or someone else reviews it though.

Check it out. Mossberg is now offering an AR-15 pattern 22 rifle. It's basically the 702 plinkster in different furniture. But it comes with adjustable stock, adjustable front & rear sight, 10 rnd mag, 18" barrel, full quad rail forend etc. etc.

Pretty slick, no?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=43&display=feat

I found a video review that says it's good. THEY say the sights suck, but I don't see them using a sling or even attempting NPOA so who knows how reliable that portion of the review is. In any case they said that they didn't have any function issues so thats a plus. If anyone gets one of these before me please put out a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J32s4qLttxM
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

H. L. Mencken
    US editor (1880 - 1956)

oldgrunt

Not to say that its not a good rifle but the 2 that has seen it to our lines have failed....Both came from the clamshell design ..Seems the heat and such caused the barrels to work loose and have feed issue's..I think for plinkin it would be fine but the shooting we do??Kinda beat the plastic rifle to pieces..But that's just MHO....Still looks cool...Oh and I'm on my 3 rebuild from the SW AR 22 too..I keeep blowin the bolts apart lol ....I the long run my Rugers will keep shooting way better than the 500 buck Ar's ..So for that price you can have 2 rifles that will shoot 210 everytime...
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

Gramma Goats

I had trouble with the extractor but once that was fixed it has run just fine.   I have not heard of any bolts blowing up.... but now that is one more thing i might be looking out for  . . .  sheesh.....

Quote from: oldgrunt on December 10, 2010, 01:24:28 AM
Not to say that its not a good rifle but the 2 that has seen it to our lines have failed....Both came from the clamshell design ..Seems the heat and such caused the barrels to work loose and have feed issue's..I think for plinkin it would be fine but the shooting we do??Kinda beat the plastic rifle to pieces..But that's just MHO....Still looks cool...Oh and I'm on my 3 rebuild from the SW AR 22 too..I keeep blowin the bolts apart lol ....I the long run my Rugers will keep shooting way better than the 500 buck Ar's ..So for that price you can have 2 rifles that will shoot 210 everytime...
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Wheeler44

I haven't tried the AR-22 but I do have a 702 plinkster....After I fixed the Ejector (easy to do PM me info) it runs like a topMarlin....Unstoppable, even after a couple dozen 'seeds with no real maintenance...

One small issue with the Plinkster...Length of pull a generous 14 1/2"....

It's a two minute of angle rifle with the right ammo.  Top score with that one is 220 in 2:26 (Yeah I shoot fast)

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Greg in MO

OG is absolutely right.  The nature of the design prevents the front sight from being stable.  It will move after every shot and will do nothing but frustrate the shooter.  And for some reason they put a stock on it that looks adjustable, but isn't.  Go fig.  There are better options out there.

Greg