News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beck in Wilmington next Wednseday

Started by posterboy, December 06, 2010, 11:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

posterboy

From the department of this is a Great Idea that I can't execute :

Perhaps if there are some free ( I will be going to KC that day for work yippee for that ! ) they can arrange with our local BOTG a space that someone can promote Appleseed to most likely a HUGE crowd that would would dig our MISSION. Even going out into the throng with materials in hand could be very fruitful. Have your elevator speech down cold.

I would LOVE to do this but someone else will have to.....

Golden opportunity not only for Ohio but also National.

PB

dart67eb

It wouldn't hurt to remind them that Fred will be a keynote speaker at the TEA party convention in Memphis in Apr.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

MeanStreaker

This would be absolutely great if we could get some folks handing out promotional material.  I'm leaving for a few days and will be out of contact, can anyone help organize this?
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Gordon

Glenn Beck in Wilmington Ohio? "What's ol' PB talking about?"

Here it is: America's First Christmas -- Wilmington Ohio Dec 15

OK. Beck is broadcasting that day (9AM -- noon) from the Murphy Theater in Wilmington. Tickets $125 each (ouch).

Here are some clippings from that site:

Attend a Historic Radio Broadcast from Wilmington, OH

On December 15th, Glenn will be broadcasting his national radio program LIVE from the Murphy Theater in Wilmington, OH. This special show will kick off "America's First Christmas", a night where Glenn will bring us back to the true meaning of Christmas ...
... Be a part of this historic broadcast in Wilmington, OH for $125. Limited quantities available. ...

Premium Package
Want to start the day off a little earlier? ... meet Glenn ... For $500 you'll get premium seats to the radio show, your picture taken with Glenn and
... an intimate breakfast in the General Denver Hotel ...

All net proceeds from both events will be going to local non-profits in Wilmington, OH.

On that site there's also an "important information packet", in PDF form. Here are some salient points of that:

Key Information for your Visit to Wilmington, Ohio, for the Glenn Beck Holiday Shows Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2010

• 9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. Radio Show Broadcast from the Murphy Theatre
  • 1:00-3:00 p.m. Book Signing at Books 'N' More - (937) 383-7323
  • 8:00-10:00 p.m. Stage Show from the Murphy Theatre (SOLD OUT)
  • Local Satellite Viewing Locations for the 8 p.m. Glenn Beck Stage Show from the Murphy Theatre:

• Sugartree Ministries, 180 E. Sugartree St., Wilmington OH 45177 [/color]
    • Generations Pizza, 100 Lowe's Drive, Wilmington, OH 45177

• City Stage, In place starting at 12:00 noon. On Main near Mulberry
    Local entertainment from 3:00 to 8:00 p.m. Glenn Beck may appear here unscheduled on Dec. 15 between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m.  

SO, it sounds like they're expecting a huge event, all over town. The PDF flyer talks about porta-jons, special parking lots, closed streets, warming shelters, etc.

Posterboy is right, this sounds like it will be huge, and these people very likely "would dig our Mission". 7th-stepping doesn't get any better than this.

It sounds like if we showed up with some materials in hand we could find a place to hand a bunch of stuff out and have some good talks w/ folks.

We can do these venues if we have the people and materials:

• Book-signing 1-3 PM
  • City Stage 3-8 PM
  • "satellite viewing" Sugartree 8--10 PM
  • "satellite viewing" Generations 8--10 PM

I for one am up for this. Anyone else available either Wednesday afternoon, or Wednesday evening? With 2 people for each of these venues, we've got it covered. Actually, if we can get one more person for the afternoon, and three more for the evening, plus materials, we're good to go.

BTW, are there any RWVA supporters or cadre in the area? I know the Clinton County Sportsman's Club is a host of ours, would anyone there help us? Any other possible LBOTG for this?

posterboy

Look I'm gonna get all serious for a moment.

This is a great opportunity. Fuzzy needs help. I can't be there because I am working....this is a good thing. I am self employed I use the term "employed" lightly over this last year because it has sucked ...so I HAVE to work this job and can't be available for the sake of my Family.

Are You Available for Posterity?

This is an unprecedented opportunity to open minds to Appleseed. Are you serious and believe in what this program is capable of ? This could be a great moment, one that you can have a hand in making happen. Time is short. Are there any other Revere's out there in Ohio/ Indiana/ Kentucky?

There is  large mirror in your home most likely... go look or better yet if you have kids go look at them for a minute then try to make some time.

PB

Lisa

I have trifolds that can be gotten from me for this. I cannot do it and neither can Butt Stock. Will give up my Tri-folds though for this.

stschil

I was just browsing and found this.
 My Aunt and Uncle own the "Books and More" book store in the heart of Downtown Wilmington and it is where Mr Beck will be for the book signing.     Knowing the size of the store and the layout, I don't think there would be a place to set up a table, however, I can call them and ask if the would have somewhere that flyers can be posted.  Also, they are connected with many of the city retailers and leaders and may be able to provide additional contacts.

I will call them today and check on possibilities if there is someone who can at least swing by and get the flyers to them.
PM me Call me (317) 361-9599  if you can and I'll do my best to set it up. O0
"Those Who Ignore History Are Damned To Repeat It"   Unknown Author

Gordon

Quote from: stschil on December 11, 2010, 08:03:26 AM
I was just browsing and found this.
My Aunt and Uncle own the "Books and More" book store in the heart of Downtown Wilmington and it is where Mr Beck will be for the book signing.     Knowing the size of the store and the layout, I don't think there would be a place to set up a table, however, I can call them and ask if the would have somewhere that flyers can be posted.  Also, they are connected with many of the city retailers and leaders and may be able to provide additional contacts.

I will call them today and check on possibilities if there is someone who can at least swing by and get the flyers to them.
PM me Call me (317) 361-9599  if you can and I'll do my best to set it up. O0

They own the store where the booksigning is being held? Excellent! Are they supportive of Appleseed? Do they know about it? It would be great to have some form of "LBOTG" there, and they might be able to help us.

Anyhow, yeah, I'll at least bring 'em some flyers if they're open to that.

It sounds like the whole town will be full of activity, a lot of people milling about who'd love to hear about Project Appleseed.

If we can't set up in the bookstore, maybe we can set up outside in some high-traffic public place nearby. I'd appreciate any advice on this, if you know the town

stschil

A little information that I can provide...

The Books 'N' More store has a small park area (maybe 20' W X 50'W deep) on it's right side.  This area is public owned, maybe city hall can give permission for a table. It would be a great place to set up.   
  The bookstore is housed on the ground floor of the local Masonic Lodge (who owns the building).
The 'Downtown' area isn't very big, really. Only about 1 block long.  The General Denver Hotel is on one end of the block and across the street from the Murphy Theater (middle of the block), the book store is directly adjacent to the theater.  Also, this is a two lane, One Way street with parking on both sides of the street.  I have seen this section blocked off in the past for city sponsored events to provide a safe, large pedestrian area, though I don't know if that will happen in this case.
The County Courthouse is the next block. There is a Veterans Memorial in one corner of the Courthouse block which might be another good place to set up, though it would be a little removed from where most of the people will probably be.

posterboy

Thanks stschil !  :~

this is shaping up...now we need people to help promote. Sounds like this will be fun too !

pb

stschil

OK, more information:

The name of the Wilmington Main Street Coordinator is  Steve Brown, Tel (937) 728-9041. My uncle recommends making contact with him.

Inside the bookstore is a no-go due to the overwhelming amount of people they expect (This I kind of expected), however, my uncle told me that there are NO VENDOR PERMITS required by the city, so a table can be can be set up just about anywhere.  I would recommend either of the two places I mentioned before, if available.
I have confirmed that the entire city block that encompasses the General Denver, the Murphy, and the Books 'N' More will be closed for this event. Lots of area to have a table, but from what it sounded like, there are a lot of other entities that want to "Cash in" on this, so space may be limited.  I do not know if these spaces are reservable or first come, first served.

I was informed that the book store has taken orders for Mr Beck's book from across the country and have fielded questions about lodging, parking, handicap accessibility from people who are planning to attend, again, from ACROSS THE COUNTRY.  This is going to be HUGE.

Though I can't make any guaranty, I am going to try to take a vacation day to help out on Wednesday.

And for those who wonder why this dumb Indiana boy is so hyped.....
Not only do I love the Appleseed Project, I am a Buckeye, born and raised in Piqua.  Look for me to 'Border raid' to help whenever I can.

slim

I don't know if I can get out of work early enough for this, but if I do, I can buzz up there and pass out some info. Maybe even set up a table.

I'll have to go guerilla style and just wing it since I can't make concrete plans. But, if all goes well, I'll shoot up I-71 and make something happen. If not, I'll be sitting at work saying, "Come on. I've got stuff to do!"

Good luck to all involved. And, if you want, you can try to call/text me - 513-226-0232. 

Dinky Dao

I personally will be there myself. Any Appleseeders who plan to be in attendance, please let me know, as I would love to meet up with you.

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

Gordon

Awesome! Dinky, I'll be there.

So far that's you and me, probably stschil, and maybe slim.

Other folks?

For those thinking about it: Wilmington is located on a line about halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati. Here are some drive-times.

Cincinnati OH0:55
Columbus OH1:05
Lexington KY2:16
Indianapolis IN2:34
Charleston WV3:10
Toledo OH3:12
Cleveland OH3:26
Pittsburg PA4:10

This is an event with nationwide visibility and nationwide draw. As stschil said, the owners of the bookstore where the book-signing is happening are getting calls from all over, asking about things like parking, handicapped access, etc.

Without trying to imply any endorsement of Glenn Beck, I've got to point out again what Posterboy orginally noted: these are thousands of folks who are likely to very much appreciate our Mission. The more presence we can get there, the better IMO.

techres

Do you have what you need for flyers?  Color with Ohio shoot dates that are current?  If not, let me know and we can see what we can do quickly to get you something.

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Gordon

Techres thanks for the offer. PM sent. In it I'm saying (in slightly more detail) what I'll say to anyone: I'm wide open to suggestions as to what materials to use.

I'm open to suggestion on process too. Currently the plan is to set up a small table in one or more location, hand out fliers, and try to have as many brief conversations as possible with interested folks.

dirtdawg

Johnnyappleseed

^5 Ohio ----

At the Tea Party kickoff --We included a short bit mentioning Appleseed is a great place for a tax deductable contribution ,for those who seemed unlikely to attend a shoot . The Cal/Nev Trifolds seemed about the right size for handout's

Thanx for all the effort on this event   O0 I do agree the Beck audience will be supportive of AS ---- I listen to his radio program nearly every morning .
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

slim

I'm stuck at work, folks. Good luck up there!

slim

Hey Gordon, Dinky (anyone else who was there....)

How'd this thing go? Were you guys able to spread the seed? How about some pictures? Were there a lot of folks there?

Just a general AAR, if you please!

Gordon

Hey Slim! The thing went fantastic. In fact I should write sump'n up, a "what can we learn from the good the bad and the ugly" type thing. I'll do it later this week but I've got other stuff pretty front-burner right now.

Here's the short version: Remember that great line in Jaws when they're out in that gnarly-old guy's fishing boat, and Sheriff Brodie is standing in the stern and suddenly the creature sticks its face up for just a moment? And Brodie slowly backs away, stunned, eyes fixed in the same spot, and says quietly "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat"?

It was like that. Somewhere early on, there was a "I think we're gonna need a bigger box of fliers" moment.  :cool2:

I'll give some good/bad/ugly/what-we-learn type stuff later. Thanks for bringing it up.

PS: Ohio AIBC this weekend can't wait to see you bro'! I think it's gonna be great.

Dougum

I would have loved to have gone but school got in the way. I watched it on Glenn's program on Fox news. It was truely a great event. Especially when he gave that young kid with hearing loss the surgery or implant he needed to hear again. That was probably the best moment of the event. What also got me was the fact that the one couple bought the hotel on a handshake. Finally a glimmer of hope that someone still has the confidence to beleive in their fellow Americans. I agree with Glenn that we should all take a lesson from the people of Wilmington.

Bolt
Love your country, but never trust its government.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington

You say drake I say Brantley gilbert

You say T-Pain I say Jason Aldean

You say Kanye I say randy houser

You say Pink I say Kenny Chesney

You say Pop I scream COUNTRY

You say Justin Bieber I rip your head off