News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2010 Korean War Sniper Course

Started by wildman, December 01, 2010, 04:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

The KWSC is December 11th. This notice is to remind you that DST (Day Light Savings) is gone which means we will be starting earlier. We need to start at 09:00 sharp instead of 10:00. See you at the range.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

The Kid

Looking forward to this shoot, I am bring the "Space gun" or whatever you guys have dubbed it , is it still banned from the range?  **)  See you guys bright and early.

TK
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

wildman

No Kid your 6.5 is not banned from the range your score just won't count. Ha, just kidding. My hope is everyone there will shoot very well indeed. We will have new E-type targets for this shoot.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

hawkeye

With a chance of snow this weekend we'll see if those 6.5 bullets will freeze in midair. Last weekend it snowed hard ,you could hardly see the 500 yard targets great training for this weekends KWSC. Suck it up and come to the shoot boys! We'll have the burn barrel going so the trigger fingers will stay warm. Can't be as bad as Wildflicken, Germany the 113s were just bumps in the snow,but we dug them out and drove to the range and had fun anyway. If it does snow think how well the targets will stand out unless Wildman dresses them in their winter camouflage . See you there!
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

M1NC

Hey Guys!  I'm thinking of coming to this (would have come to the Dec 18th Appleseed but come to find out we have a load of friends/family dropping by that weekend and I can sneak off) so I was wondering what restrictions there are on rifles?  I'll bring my Garand but I also have a few toys in my safe (scoped Mosin, Enflield with a Parker-hale sight, etc) that could use some exercise

And to Hawkeye - did you ride the 113s during a a REFORGER?
Always take the high road - it has a better field of fire

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Go forth and fear no darkeness

jmdavis

After 7 years at the gunsmith I finally got my M96 with fresh low swing safety and scope mount back this weekend (AS was at the range owned by the Gunsmith).

I now have a scoped rifle that I could use for the KWSC. But I can't get there this weekend.

:'(
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Stimey

I'm sure sorry for it, but I'm going to miss this one too.  It's my favorite of the field shoots and I was hoping to bring Irene out to play.  Instead, I had three must-do events scheduled for the same weekend and no way to do more than one, so I'm off to Charlotte to get an NRA certification as an NRA Chief Range Safety Officer.  The course is only offered a couple times per year, and this is my shot.  Once I get this, I can qualify people as NRA certified Range Safety Officers, and it's my hope that we can add this to the list of opportunities for professional advancement for our NC IIT's, should they so desire.  Therefore, I can, and will if there is enough interest, offer an NRA RSO course for IIT's next year.

Meanwhile, Irene is sitting in the ready rack in silent disgust behind me.  Matt, you need to take my place on the line!  My first KWSC was the best shooting day of my life.  Grab all three of the rifles you mentioned, shag down to Ramseur next weekend, and JUST DO IT!!  You will thank me for the recommendation.

PS.  Last year the daytime high was 18 degrees.  This year should be much warmer, but the thing about it is, I really didn't feel the cold when I was in my bubble.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"  Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

hawkeye

Bring what you have ,scoped is best because there will not be a lot of target showing. Like the man said when your in the bubble you want feel the cold. I'll be glad to write a note to your wife if needed, just get to the shoot. Yes I was in 3 REFORGER events with 113 type tracks ( M-106 4.2 inch mortars) lots of fun running around the country side terrorizing the locals. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

wildman

Quote from: M1NC on December 06, 2010, 11:27:26 PM
Hey Guys!  I'm thinking of coming to this (would have come to the Dec 18th Appleseed but come to find out we have a load of friends/family dropping by that weekend and I can sneak off) so I was wondering what restrictions there are on rifles?  I'll bring my Garand but I also have a few toys in my safe (scoped Mosin, Enflield with a Parker-hale sight, etc) that could use some exercise

And to Hawkeye - did you ride the 113s during a a REFORGER?

If your ammo is up to it I love to see a Mosin do the job. I have found the east block surplus is worthless 24 MOA or more at 25 yards and most of the rounds had split cases. The best ammo I have found was Brown Bear something around 180grs.

In case you have forgotten the targets are at 300,400, and 460. No 200 yard targets. Shooter will engage pairs of targets a "D" and "F". A "D" target is a head and torso. The "F" target is head and shoulders. The COF is divided into 3 exercises. Exercises 1&2 consist of 8 pairs each you are allow only 2 rounds per target.  Exercise 3 is four "F" targets 3 rounds per target.

To the rest of you that can't come pppppphhhhhh :P. We are going to have a great time, campfires and lie telling, then post wonderful stories that will make you feel bad. The schedule has been out for a year you know.  ;)

M1NC

Stimey  - I'll hold your place on the line, won't even charge you  :P

Hawkeye - Nice picture!  A person I knew in college (he was a non-traditional student working on a second degree) had some interesting stores about getting in trouble while being stationed in Germany during the Cold War

Wildman - I've got a lot of different manufacturers of 54R ammo - Yugo, Russian, Bulgarian, Chinese.  I think I have some Brown Bear too in one of the .50 cans...

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

JohnnyReb

I'm shooting the AR-10.

I'll be grilling something for sure.
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

wildman

We are wondering if you'll be in shorts, John.

Gramma Goats

Hate to show my ignorance but WHAT is the Korean War Sniper Course?  I take it that this will be different from the normal AS week end.
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The Kid

The Korean War Sniper Course is a special event held at the end of the Field shooting season.  Throughout the year the Home Range Crew in Ramseur put on field shoots which show a shooter's proficiency on reactive pop up targets out to 500 yards, specifically their ability to hit a target at any given range with their first round.  The Korean War Sniper Course is special in that this is the only event during the year where scoped rifles and support (sand bangs or packs) are allowed.  There is limited amount target of the targets exposed in an attempt to challenged even a scoped shooter. The Field shoots are about as much as shooting can get. 

PS: Bring some good winter gear, although it can't be colder than last weekend.
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

JohnnyReb

Quote from: wildman on December 08, 2010, 09:21:22 PM
We are wondering if you'll be in shorts, John.

I'm showing a low of 40* on Sat. Shorts should be no problem.  ++)
One Bank to rule them all, one Bank to find them, one Bank to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

wildman

Gone to the range and off the net send any questions to hawkeye.

Koma

Thanks to all who set up, take down and run these great unique shoots. 

92trk

Just a few pics from yesterday :)

M1NC

Thanks to all for making me feel welcome in my first ever field shoot.  I learned a LOT - special thanks to The Kid for being a patient spotter, Wildman for giving me some good advice for my 91/30, Lawson for showing me his finished 1911 and Hawkeye for counsel on getting my M1 in better shape.  I'm really appreciative for all the hard work that everyone puts into these and look forward to doing it again!

wildman

We couldn't have ask for better weather for a KWSC except for maybe a foot of snow. It was cloudy and rainy mixed with sleet. Fifteen shooters made it to the shoot. We even had at least four new people, always a good thing.

The results were outstanding three shooters almost cleaned the course and need only one second shot on one target. Each scored 174 points out of the 176 available. They were "the Kid", JG, and JN. The three of them as equipped were clearly capable of hit hitting targets much smaller that what was presented on Saturday. Out of 15 shooters 11 shot qualifying scores or better. A shooter had to get a score of at least 80% (140) to qualify.

7.62 Bar B Que was the only shooter that was shooting iron sights and just did miss by 3 points qualifying, for iron sights this was a very tough course. Two of the Targets at 460 were barely visible without a scope. It took guts to shoot that course with iron sights and sometimes guts is enough. So our hats are off to Kevin.

Hawkeye Jr. had trouble with his scope and had to switch to another rifle an M1 w/scope after zero fire and still qualified (153) in fine style. That young man has talent.

M1NC Shot the course with a Mosin 91/30 w/scope and did quite well considering he was shooting east block surplus ammo, not considered top of the line stuff. My hope is he will find a better preforming ammo and try again.

We did learn that keeping the chit chat away from the firing line helped a great deal. We are going to keep doing that. The time each shooter took to fire each exercise was excellent. The average for Exercise 2 - 8 target pairs (16 targets) was 3.7 minutes. That a round down range ever 21 seconds! Remember this requires a range change with every two targets and an NPOA shift with every target.

A shout out to Hawkeye and crew no way we could continue to have field shoots without their help. I don't want to leave out the guys that step up and help with spotting and scoring they also get a hand salute, it would be very difficult without them.

A lot of the shooters say thanks for putting on these shoots and I appreciate that. The thanks goes to them as well, all that attend the field shoot. It is they that keep'em going. If the guys that came stopped there would be no shoots no more of the most fun you can have on a rifle range.