News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Scheduling MO shoots

Started by Thor's Hammer, December 01, 2010, 12:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor's Hammer

I have a thought to put out there:

If we can get together on the scheduling for 2011, maybe we can try not to schedule multiple shoots on the same weekend with the exception of April 19. My reasoning is as follows: By not having multiple shoots, we can increase the instructor to student ratio at the shoots(being short-handed in 2010 came up more than once). We can also increase our contact with students and try to get our IIT recruitment numbers up. At short staffed shoots, we don't have enough time to push this and find those individuals that want to step up and start bailing. I am also assuming that some of the ranges have times that they can block out versus times that they can not. We could schedule more shoots at individual ranges during those "can" times while not trying to push those during their "can't" times, therefore keeping better range relations. We might be able to increase the number of shoots statewide by utilizing this tactic. Bringing in people during a slow period and leaving the busy times for their patrons could go a long way. This scheduling could also free up the gun show crews. I know we had shoots where a gun show was happening in the same area on the same weekend, but not enough people available to staff that as well(this happened twice in Osage Beach in 2010).

These are just some of my suggestions. I would like to hear the pros and cons, maybe we can find a middle and accomplish more in 2011 and the years to come.

Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Greg in MO

Other than 4/19, we only had 2 shoots in the state on one weekend (10/2) I believe. 

You are correct though, that with our current number of instructors it is challenging to cover multiple simultaneous shoots on a weekend.  The last time it happened was because the ranges told us what dates we could have the range.  We didn't have any choice if we wanted to use those venues.

The guns show thing is a little harder to plan around, although I hear we have a coordinator for those now which should help.

I'm sure we will be doing some shoot planning for 2011 in the very near future.  I know Chris is already working on next years schedule.

2011 will be more challenging than 2010 was in a number of ways I imagine...

Greg

cmidkiff

Yup... been working on it, believe me.  Having multiple shoots in a given weekend does indeed make things tough to get staffed.  Realistically, having shoots on back-to-back weekends makes things tough to staff.  If you look at the raw numbers, there's 22 active RH's/IIT's on our MO instructor list.

52 weekends in a year.  22 of those weekends are during the months of Jan, Feb, Mar, Nov, and Dec.  Shoots in those weeks are not only tough to staff, but even tougher to fill the firing lines.  Ok, so that leaves 30 weekends.  Take out Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day weekends, you're down to 26 available weekends.

Gramma Goats in Humansville wants the 2nd weekend of every month, from April through November, excepting Sept, when she wants to have a Ladyseed the 1st weekend, that's 8.  I'm assuming that Longshot and Thor will be looking at something similar for Osage Beach, figure 16 between the two DAR's.  2 shoots at Pioneer, 2 at DeSoto, Washburn could be good for 4 next year, 1 each at Princeton, Weatherby, and Williamstown, We have a line on ranges in Freeman and Lathrop, but haven't ever gotten anything firm at those locations.  That's 27.  I figure we'll find at least one more range through the year, perhaps 2 more shoots, maybe use one of the ranges that were checked out this year and never used... being generous, we could make 30 shoots in 2011.

30 shoots in 26 weekends, taking April 19 into account, leaves us staffing a shoot _EVERY WEEKEND_ through the spring, summer, and fall, and each instructor (assuming 4 instructors per shoot) would need to work 6 of them.  We now have 5 shoot boss's, giving us the same number, each shoot boss needs to run 6 shoots.  Unfortunately, things don't work out that evenly in practice.  I'd like to push April, May, June, September, and October... those being generally the 'nice weather' months around here. Personally, I'd rather double up on weekends during those months than work a bunch of shoots in the suffocating mid-summer heat.

IMHO, we should be looking more at doubling ATTENDANCE than doubling the number of shoots.  It'd be a far more efficient use of our resources, and, after all, isn't the object here to get the word out to as many people as possible?  Which would be more effective in that mission, Having 48 shoots (that would be doubling this year's numbers) attended by an average of 10 shooters, or having 30 shoots averaging 25?  Getting the attendance numbers up requires us to put more effort into promotions, taking yet more time away from those very limited and busy volunteers.

Greybeard

Thor's Hammer

Good numbers and figures Greybeard. Gives us some good information to work with.

On another note: Is there anything that the Instructors at the shoots can do to help ease the "after AS" paperwork and computer work of the Shoot Boss? I know Longshot has a really screwy work schedule and an even more ridiculous internet connection(downside to living in the sticks).

I will get on the major promoters sights to see what is planned for Central MO in the way of gun shows and give the info to our gun show coordinator. I'm thinking work the show and have an AS the weekend after while it is fresh in everybodies minds.

Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

cmidkiff

Quote from: Thor's Hammer on December 01, 2010, 04:57:10 PM...Is there anything that the Instructors at the shoots can do to help ease the "after AS" paperwork and computer work...

After a shoot, the SB has to submit a form, by mail... I don't know how anyone else can help with that part... and he must start both an AAR and an IAAR thread on the forums.  The AAR can certainly be done by anyone, the IAAR needs some specific data... number of shooters per day, Riflemen, IIT's, instructors, etc.  I see no reason why any instructor couldn't do it, provided they had all of the information.

See ya' soon!

Greybeard

Gramma Goats

increasing attendance rather than increase the number of shoots you say?  I say. . .AMEN and HALLELUJAH !   Having only ONE shoot on the given  weekend gives a better chance to fill the line.

Just like running a business....it is not how much money you MAKE , it is how much money you get to KEEP.

Quote from: greybeard on December 01, 2010, 03:53:41 PM
Yup... been working on it, believe me.  Having multiple shoots in a given weekend does indeed make things tough to get staffed.  Realistically, having shoots on back-to-back weekends makes things tough to staff.  If you look at the raw numbers, there's 22 active RH's/IIT's on our MO instructor list.

52 weekends in a year.  22 of those weekends are during the months of Jan, Feb, Mar, Nov, and Dec.  Shoots in those weeks are not only tough to staff, but even tougher to fill the firing lines.  Ok, so that leaves 30 weekends.  Take out Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day weekends, you're down to 26 available weekends.

Gramma Goats in Humansville wants the 2nd weekend of every month, from April through November, excepting Sept, when she wants to have a Ladyseed the 1st weekend, that's 8.  I'm assuming that Longshot and Thor will be looking at something similar for Osage Beach, figure 16 between the two DAR's.  2 shoots at Pioneer, 2 at DeSoto, Washburn could be good for 4 next year, 1 each at Princeton, Weatherby, and Williamstown, We have a line on ranges in Freeman and Lathrop, but haven't ever gotten anything firm at those locations.  That's 27.  I figure we'll find at least one more range through the year, perhaps 2 more shoots, maybe use one of the ranges that were checked out this year and never used... being generous, we could make 30 shoots in 2011.

30 shoots in 26 weekends, taking April 19 into account, leaves us staffing a shoot _EVERY WEEKEND_ through the spring, summer, and fall, and each instructor (assuming 4 instructors per shoot) would need to work 6 of them.  We now have 5 shoot boss's, giving us the same number, each shoot boss needs to run 6 shoots.  Unfortunately, things don't work out that evenly in practice.  I'd like to push April, May, June, September, and October... those being generally the 'nice weather' months around here. Personally, I'd rather double up on weekends during those months than work a bunch of shoots in the suffocating mid-summer heat.

IMHO, we should be looking more at doubling ATTENDANCE than doubling the number of shoots.  It'd be a far more efficient use of our resources, and, after all, isn't the object here to get the word out to as many people as possible?  Which would be more effective in that mission, Having 48 shoots (that would be doubling this year's numbers) attended by an average of 10 shooters, or having 30 shoots averaging 25?  Getting the attendance numbers up requires us to put more effort into promotions, taking yet more time away from those very limited and busy volunteers.

Greybeard
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

hangfire

Are you considering any January and February Winterseed shoots for the Southwest corner of Missouri?

Gramma Goats

The Humansville range will have cattle on it starting right after the shoot this week end.  Is Osage used to graze at all ??
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

cmidkiff

Our Washburn range is about as far 'SouthWest' as you can get... Kent?  If we can get Kent to host one, and get someone to SB and instruct, I'm more than willing to put it on the schedule. 

I'm afraid I will be unavailable as SB/RH for any shoots in Jan/Feb of 2011.

Quote from: hangfire on December 01, 2010, 09:36:02 PM
Are you considering any January and February Winterseed shoots for the Southwest corner of Missouri?

Greg in MO

I hear we have a brand new SB that is very familiar with that range.  If Kent is willing, we will get the shoot covered.  Feb may be better than Jan though...  I'm doing IBCs in January.

Greg

Thor's Hammer

Quote from: Gramma Goats on December 01, 2010, 09:59:08 PM
The Humansville range will have cattle on it starting right after the shoot this week end.  Is Osage used to graze at all ??

Nope. Should have no problems. We were looking at a late January shoot.

hangfire

I shot at Washburn in April, Pittsburg Ks in Oct. Hope to go to Humansville this Sunday but would like to see other opportunity's for a winterseed shoot in the area. Nothing on the books for Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma or Arkansas after Dec 4-5 weekend.

mikaldulee

Quote from: hangfire on December 02, 2010, 02:36:21 PM
I shot at Washburn in April, Pittsburg Ks in Oct. Hope to go to Humansville this Sunday but would like to see other opportunity's for a winterseed shoot in the area. Nothing on the books for Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma or Arkansas after Dec 4-5 weekend.

Be patient.  Winterseed is a new thing.  We don't tell the land holders what to do, we have to request it, man it, and support it.

Celt

Quote from: greybeard on December 02, 2010, 10:29:42 AM
Our Washburn range is about as far 'SouthWest' as you can get... Kent?  If we can get Kent to host one, and get someone to SB and instruct, I'm more than willing to put it on the schedule. 

I'm afraid I will be unavailable as SB/RH for any shoots in Jan/Feb of 2011.

Quote from: hangfire on December 01, 2010, 09:36:02 PM

If that's you asking if anyone wants to go down to Washburn and freeze #) this Jan or Feb, you can count me in :). I'm sure that I could make it and maybe drag another IIT from around here with me if you think that we can get some shooters there. Ian
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

mikaldulee

Graybeard is working on it...again be patient.  A rifleman is patient but persists.  If we build it they will come hasn't worked well for us this year.

We are trying to promote and schedule shoots better. 

But good enthusiasm. ^:)^

hangfire

mikaldulee: wrote

If we build it they will come hasn't worked well for us this year.

If I may offer up an observation, the last 2 shoots in Missouri on November 13-14 and November 20-21 show low preregistration numbers. These 2 date are the opening and last weekend of Missouri's Firearm Deer Season. I am fully aware that not everyone deer hunts but those shoot date were probably affected by deer season.

nemohunter

i will be claiming april 2-3 for the first ever shoot in Bowling green. this will be in process this week i hope. the shoot will be a try and see for the venue and our future depends on that shoot being done well for there to be future shoots there.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Jungle George

Yea!! Nemo Hunter, I'll be there!! O0   ^:)^

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

nemohunter

you sure George? thats a LONG drive for ya  ::) ++)
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Gramma Goats

i am confident that deer season had an effect.  The Humansville range had a lot of walk ons... i am not sure what our final number was but we had to hustle and get up more backers etc.  I would say number wise it was a close runner to our other shoots.

Quote from: hangfire on December 03, 2010, 11:13:15 PM

mikaldulee: wrote

If we build it they will come hasn't worked well for us this year.

If I may offer up an observation, the last 2 shoots in Missouri on November 13-14 and November 20-21 show low preregistration numbers. These 2 date are the opening and last weekend of Missouri's Firearm Deer Season. I am fully aware that not everyone deer hunts but those shoot date were probably affected by deer season.

Gramma Goats

fewer shoots and better promotion will be a much better expenditure of our resources.

Please WILL travel if that is the  only choice they have.....  Two shoots a month well promoted can far out number a shoot every week end with your instructors and promoters stretched to the limits.

Quote from: mikaldulee on December 03, 2010, 07:49:52 AM
Graybeard is working on it...again be patient.  A rifleman is patient but persists.  If we build it they will come hasn't worked well for us this year.

But good enthusiasm. ^:)^

mikaldulee