News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A different NY Calendar of Events

Started by B9, December 01, 2010, 07:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

This looks like a good idea.

http://www.vistaprint.com/studio/calendars/add-photos.aspx?pf_id=389&combo_id=69997&rd=3

We could round up some great pictures of different events and weather. These would look great hanging at the range, gun shop or over your desk at work. We could maybe even add our own "Holidays" of Rev War key dates and actions. Putting AS event dates could happen someday but need to have firm schedule a year in advance.

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

I like it...

I sent a 2011 calendar to Erinie @ Throop showing all of the proposed Appleseed weekends.  Of course, I just added them in by hand, but I thought he could use it for his everyday stuff and it would be a good reminder of the AS dates at his range.  At the time I considered the idea of doing this for all of our host ranges - but didn't really follow through.

I think this is a fantastic idea, for our instructors, for local shops, and for our host ranges.  Even without adding AS dates this would be great!

Comments?
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Another D.O.M.

OK, I need three more venues in NYS to have a total of 12, one for each month of the calendar year.  And then I need a good photo of each range...

Can we all do this before Jan 1?
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

B9

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on December 01, 2010, 10:43:56 AM
OK, I need three more venues in NYS to have a total of 12, one for each month of the calendar year.  And then I need a good photo of each range...

Can we all do this before Jan 1?

I have photos of every range (I think).
We could also use some other picture as "filler".
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

nyrasgt

Ed/MJA,
    Not only is this a brilliant idea, but would make a GREAT item to bring (and give) to new ranges we're trying to recruit, esp if we included some of the materials from the other hand-outs , perhaps on the inside covers of the calendar.  The Washington County Sportsman's Assn sells calendars for $3 ea (w. art work of game animals) and sells tons of them @  just about every local range - we can do same w. ranges as well as gun stores...how many Dick's Sporting Goods stores are there in NYS?
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

JustJeff

Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

nyrasgt

1)  If the NY AS Promotional Calendar doesn't contain the picture of what appear to be the Smith Brothers of cough drop fame, then perhaps NE AS could use the picture for a caption contest:  What is being said in this picture? (E.G.:  "Deer?  What deer?  Where?"  or, "No, Dan...for Offhand, the rifle goes in front," or "This IS my standing position, Nick...just get behind me and help load 2+ 8.")
2)  If the low-angle picture of the Northeast Senior Master National Instructor is used in the calendar, there is a significant danger that young, or unprepared individuals, and children, may burst into tears upon looking at The Nickel in Full Stare...  Better than the Uncle Sam "I Want You" poster...
Excelsior,
mad
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

bravo juliet mike

Here's my submission:

West and kDan at Calverton. April 18, 2010.

Another D.O.M.

These pictures are great!  Some of 'em are scary, some of 'em are funny.  And the one man there with the red hat and pink rifle; I don't know what to think of him...

Another D.O.M.

Well, let's begin with the cover.  I was initially thinking of using a combination of the AS Banner and the Bedford Flag.  However, since this may turn out to be a NY-centric calendar, I'm now leaning toward a picture of the Battle of Saratoga or something similar, w/ the banner superimposed less the parchment background.

As far as the inside pictures, I like the idea of using pictures of the host ranges.  I was actually surprised by how many of the ranges in the above photos I can identify because I've worked 'em.  The signboard shots are fabulous, and if we have any more like these of other host ranges that would be great.  We likely won't find them for Van Etten or Throop - yet.  We may need to begin scouring AARs for good range shots.  We will also need to be careful of pics of people we cannot contact to gain their permission (written) to publish their image.

There are a lot of great ideas here - let's keep 'em coming!
MJA

Another D.O.M.

Another thought:  We have an even dozen flags in the AS Flag set, correct?  Maybe we could feature a different flag for each month and add a little history of each.  Use one or two of the blank day blocks in the top or bottom row.
MJA

VietVet

In the event you decide to use the Range signs..........

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Another D.O.M.

Altarboy

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."         -U.S Constitution  2nd amendment

Another D.O.M.

B9

Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

I'll bet you all thought I'd forgotten this one...

This is what I'm thinking about this project:  we're up against the time monkey for 2011 and the stinkin' monkey is winning.  I'd prefer for this not to look like something we just threw together, so I think what we might do is plan to produce a calendar for 2012.  This will give us 10 months to prepare it and we can have finished copies ready for distribution by early/mid November 2011.  We have plenty of pictures.  If we go with the theme of NY Appleseed Ranges the additional time will give us a chance to collect photos for those we don't have yet - Van Etten, Throop, etc.

If we decide to go this route the best course might be for a couple of folks to volunteer to head up the project and work out a plan for completion by next October.

Comments/questions?  Volunteers???...
MJA