News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR500 Steel D-Targets

Started by Aromatic, November 29, 2010, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobcat Steel

The rimfire walkers themselves are $40 each. I also have larger/heavier/ar500 ones for centerfire at $85 each. The paddles on the rimfire walkers are 2-1/2", while the larger rifle jack is 3/8" AR500 and has 4" paddles. It acts to .223 the way the rimfire walker acts with 22lr.

Looks like I could ship 3 or so of the smaller ones to you for $20. It would be a little less if you wanted one or two, but not by much. Let me know how many of what you are interested in and I'll shoot you an official quote! I will need you email, though.

Oh, and I can ship both size walkers together, FYI O0

dragit

OK Texas, after watching the "walker" video I would like to get one.  Shipping for three walkers is $20.  So approx. $47 per for rimfire models.  Anyone else who I see regularly interested?  Need at least 3 to order.  Shipped to me and I will distribute or vice versa.  Distribution would be face to face as I am not able to re-ship.

Great NPOA shift practice and a lot less walking to see where you hit.

Tommy
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Bobcat Steel

If you guys haven't been through the website for a while....take a look. It has received a bit of a facelift and some content changes!

NHale

That's too cool. Completely independently, I made up a 1/2" AR400 version about 6 months ago to shoot at a friend's place.

Here's a youtube vid of friend's wife nailing it at 100m with a 30-06:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt7jYYSLK2U

I've since made up 7 more out of 3/8" AR500.

They have not been cleaned and painted yet. I'm painting the side with the scoring rings and grooves black with white lines and numbers, the smooth non-printed side plain old redcoat. I used a waterjet at work so I could blast the lines into the front of the face.

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

Bobcat Steel

Looks good NHale.

We've considered putting some etching on the surface of targets as well, just were unsure of the longevity of the channels. Between paint and lead buildup on target I'm not convinced it would stay around long enough to justify the initial cost increase. Albeit we haven't tested that line of thought out....

I'd be curious how well yours hold up.

Two Wolves

I'd be interested in buying two  of these if you have any for sale. I'm in Fredericksburg, Texas. Best regards, Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

NHale

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on July 29, 2013, 01:52:43 PM
Looks good NHale.

We've considered putting some etching on the surface of targets as well, just were unsure of the longevity of the channels. Between paint and lead buildup on target I'm not convinced it would stay around long enough to justify the initial cost increase. Albeit we haven't tested that line of thought out....

The problem I've run into so far is that if I'm not extremely careful, the grooves easily get too deep. I ran these at 200 inches per minute (about our machine's max) with abrasive. It looks like crap at the starts and stops and where the program insists on putting a dwell. I could run it without abrasive much slower, and that should take care of the stupid dwell issue, but that'll probably double the process time and double the cost of jetting the part.

I'll drag these prototypes up to the Ramseur RBC in August.

Here's my shot up 1/2" AR400 target:

I'm gonna put hooks on the backs of the new ones so you can only shoot the chain off. (Yeah, I learned my lesson with rope.) Also, by hanging it from the back, it'll tip the face down slightly so it's less likely to come fly back at you. (This was hit with 30-06, .22Mag, and .22LR.)

-NH

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

drip drop

Me too!  I bet Two Wolves and I can work it out so that he just adds a +1.  That may make shipping easier.

Bobcat Steel

I've already got a few shipments heading to Texas that I need to cut, one to a member here.
Should be able to use the Appleseed network again, right?

Shoot me s PM or email and we'll get this moving for you.

Info@bobcatsteel.com

Bobcat Steel

Is it time for another group buy?

spitstickler

I'm interested in one too. DFW area
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Aromatic

What type of prices are we looking at Kimball?  Is it possible to switch over to a single square mounting hole?

Are scaled down sizes an option as well?  May need a few more trophies :)

How about one sized to fit in a large flat rate box?

TxBobS

Those look interesting.  What's a shipped total around?

dragit

I would be interested in 1 or 2 also, depending on needs to make a group buy.  I would like holes pre-drilled though from Bobcat Steel.  Will it still be in the $130 plus shipping per plate Bobcat?  I will also send pics of a stand Two Wolves made for mine.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

Bobcat Steel

Quote from: TxBobS on July 30, 2013, 10:34:00 AM
Those look interesting.  What's a shipped total around?

This will depend on quantities, sizes, and if we can use the network again.

Quote from: Aromatic on July 30, 2013, 09:32:29 AM
What type of prices are we looking at Kimball?  Is it possible to switch over to a single square mounting hole?

Are scaled down sizes an option as well?  May need a few more trophies :)

Changing holes up shouldn't be an issue, but if we are doing a larger batch I'd like to keep 'options' limited as it could make the shipping a bit of a headache.

Anything is an option for size!

Quote from: dragit on July 30, 2013, 11:41:06 AM
I would be interested in 1 or 2 also, depending on needs to make a group buy.  I would like holes pre-drilled though from Bobcat Steel.  Will it still be in the $130 plus shipping per plate Bobcat?  I will also send pics of a stand Two Wolves made for mine.

I think we should be able to get near that mark again perhaps? Just depends on quantities. We've been making them here and there for guys as one-offs for $160 a pop, so the number should be somewhere between.

Two Wolves

Keep the holes the same as the last order. That's my .02.   :cool2:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Aromatic

Quote from: Two Wolves on July 30, 2013, 01:55:50 PM
Keep the holes the same as the last order. That's my .02.   :cool2:

One square hole allows one piece of fire hose to suspend and one wrench to tighten bolt :)

Bobcat Steel

I made a post on our Facebook page to try and drum up some more interest. Please share as you see fit to spread the word. No reason to limit this to Texas, we had them going all directions last time.

https://www.facebook.com/BobcatSteel

Bobcat Steel

Any more interest in this? I have heard from most of you, but I see a few above you have expressed interest without contacting me.

Looks like the interest is in full size and half size versions from the emails I have shared with those involved.

Aromatic

Bobcat Steel

I have enough verbal commitments that I am ready to proceed with this.

Targets will be 3/8" AR500 laser cut with holes.
$140 on the full size. $40 on the half size. Hole options are going to be either two holes as shown below, or a single hole centered in the 'head'. Customer's choice on holes. We will be making a cut to get ready for an upcoming show, so we will leave this open until August 11th. Payments will need to be received by then. Targets will ship out the week of August 26th.

Targets can be shipped or picked up. These will be ready to pick up at the Indy 1500 Aug 23-25th. If you want to do group shipping, please arrange that amongst yourselves and let us know where to ship. Ideally the group shipments would be treated with a single order/payment.

We will start taking orders/payments on Monday.

Thanks!

appleseedGB@bobcatsteel.com
406-570-4373

Full:

Half:

dragit

I loaned Two Wolves my steel one day and it came back mounted to this.   :~

NHale

Holy Cow!

Slapped that thing around a bit, didn't you?

I don't want you shooting at my steel, you'll ruin the paint!

;)

Two Wolves

Quote from: dragit on August 09, 2013, 01:25:29 PM
I loaned Two Wolves my steel one day and it came back mounted to this.   :~

Yea, he let me borrow his target and I let him borrow my stand.  **)  **)  **)

Aromatic

What is the fine for placing a round on the stand? 

Nice fab work Two Wolves

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Aromatic on August 09, 2013, 04:06:01 PM
What is the fine for placing a round on the stand? 

Nice fab work Two Wolves

Very impressive.  :)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

sgtrock

FWIW, this is how I do it, very adaptable to tall grass and bush areas, I make it hard to find these things for target detection classes,,, They hold up well, 3/4 inch Grade 60 ReBar, 3/8 chain, 7/16 bolts, this system puts a cant on the target to deflect shrapnel down and it disperses energy real well so as not to damage targets over the long haul,,,

dragit

I really like that setup sgtrock, unfortunately it would have to come along with a case of dynamite to get it in the ground in this part of TX; and with the color of dirt around here, when you can find it, you cannot see our setup at 200 yards with irons.  It was an interesting discovery by zonkertx and myself at the range one day.  Who would have thought orange paint is actually camo.  We also leave the bolts loose when shooting so it has some give and better sound.

Aromatic, Two Wolves bladed the flat iron on the front side to deflect any hits on the legs, which amazingly have yet to be hit.

sgtrock

I also carry a 36 volt hammer drill for the stubborn areas with sand stone or shale rock,, if you have granite or stuff as hard as that, explosives would be the way to go, sort of an added bonus of a day at the range,,,

NHale

Quote from: Bobcat Steel on July 29, 2013, 01:52:43 PM
Looks good NHale.

I was shocked at how much better the AR500 did than the AR400. Basically a pinhead-sized dent with M2 Ball at 200 yards. The etching actually held up extremely well. I ran them at 200 inches per minute with garnet abrasive. That put a nice channel without affecting the heat treatment.

But... and here's the kicker...was the etching necessary? Not really. It might have upped the cool factor, but like so many other things, did not really have utilitarian function. Yes, you can score them, but then you have to run down to the target line with a can of spray paint between rounds. Imagine that would get old pretty quick. Also, if you totally load the target up with paint, you can start filling in the channels, and you'd need to drag a nail or something across it to clean them out. It really looked much better unpainted, or with the thin grey primer, not the nasty thick stuff. That junk was like Bondo. Things did ring like a freakin' bell though, and a good time was had by those that shot them. Boom...tang! Boom...tang!

Bottom line: Cool=Yes
Practical=Not so much