News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AR500 Steel D-Targets

Started by Aromatic, November 29, 2010, 10:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglescouter

And the unlikely dark horse candidate "California" takes an early lead.......
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

crak

They're the cheap part for me too, but 10 of them add up.

Quote from: eaglescouter on December 02, 2010, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: crak on December 02, 2010, 08:27:48 PM
Also how about 3/8 inch holes instead of 5/8.  5/8 hardware is double the price and overkill, no?

For me the two bolts are the cheap part of this project.

I believe the larger heads will be a bit more resiliant when they are attacked with large caliber rifles.
Check your drama at the door.

Bobcat Steel

The holes are actually 9/16" with the intention of using 1/2" hardware. I actually have a suggestion here for the group to consider.....switch to square holes. If we switch to square holes you can use carriage bolts. Carriage bolts have proven to last longer as their rounded head deflects some, where hex heads absorb. Yeah, the hardware may cost an extra buck or two per target, but it is better than walking downrange to fix a down target! Just something to consider. As I have said before, hole changes will not effect the price. We just need to find a common pattern for everyone.

Also, if I am counting correctly.....Are we at 38?!?!?

One more and we can rock this out! :sos:

Now is probably a good time to discuss collection of funds? Unless you guys have a better idea, probably easiest is to have Aromatic give me an official list and then you guys can call/email in to arrange payments for your individual targets? If we could get everything paid up this weekend that will let me get going on Monday.

PP/USPS MO/Visa/MC/Discover are all accepted.

Bobcat Steel

Quote from: crak on December 03, 2010, 01:09:49 AM
They're the cheap part for me too, but 10 of them add up.

Quote from: eaglescouter on December 02, 2010, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: crak on December 02, 2010, 08:27:48 PM
Also how about 3/8 inch holes instead of 5/8.  5/8 hardware is double the price and overkill, no?

For me the two bolts are the cheap part of this project.

I believe the larger heads will be a bit more resiliant when they are attacked with large caliber rifles.

You guys do buy from a place that sells bulk, right? Like a Ranch and Home supply or something of that nature? Should be less than $2 a pound. Last time I bought hardware to take to a show they were on sale and I walked out with hardware sets for about 30 targets for about $5. ^:)^

eaglescouter

I had planned on using square shouldered carriage bolts even if it means modifying the mounting holes myself, so yes I support your proposal.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Cooper

I vote for square holes for carriage bolts.

Coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Chainsaw

Alright put me down for one.  Can't have the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania unrepresented.  Just don't tell my wife.

Chainsaw / Pennsylvania - 1

...and square holes are fine with me.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Aromatic

List updated.  We are now at 39 targets.  Thank you.

Square holes are fine with me as well.  I will ask Kimball to update the drawing.

I will send out a PM this evening with all of the details.

duc-dog

Square holes are not fine with me, the sharp corner creates a stress riser and if/when the target cracks it will crack out from that corner and go to the closest edge.  A round hole does not give an easy position to start a crack.  It will still crack there but not as fast as a square hole.  With a 9/16 hole you can still use a 1/2 carriage bolt, might have to flatten the corners a little to get it to seat flush.
    Milt 
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

nmmi9100

I'm with Milt (duc-dog).  Preference for round holes, 9/16" as previously stated.  I too, plan to use 1/2" bolts which are what you need for this kind of weight and energy it is going to absorb from battle rifles.

Finding Grade 8 Carriage bolts is a real booger.  I've tried.  Much easier to just get grade 8 standard bolts.

But either way is not a deal breaker for me.  AROMATIC, you're driving the train.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Aromatic

I dont really care either way.  How about we stick with the 9/16" round holes.  Those who want to use carriage bolts can still ues them in the round holes.

I will take silence for agreement.  So if you have an issue please post.  Sorry for the back and forth...

JoeZ

How hard is grade 8? Will it take a hit from 30-06 ?

"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Bobcat Steel

Quote from: JoeZ on December 03, 2010, 10:36:09 PM
How hard is grade 8? Will it take a hit from 30-06 ?

I have been unable to find any hardness ratings of Grade 8. While they have an alloy composition, they are designed for increased strength. If I find any technical data I will toss it up in here.

Grade 8 bolts have a core rockwell hardness rating on the C scale of 35 or so. This translates into roughly a 331 score for Brinell, which is what AR plate is rated on. Grade 8 bolts are rated between T1 and AR400. On paper, any centerfire round will damage it, as well as some pistol depending on distance.

Devnull

Just a thought, you might want to keep the group buy open until next weekend to give as many instructors as possible a chance to participate.

Most websites when they run a group buy have it open for 2-4 weeks.
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Aromatic

The group buy was for exactly 39 targets.  We have reached the 39 targets.  I can start a waiting list in case people back out.

Bobcat has the CAD file so instructors can contact him directly for their targets.

Anyone wanting to get on the waiting list, please PM me.  I think this is the best price you will see for a target like this.

Bobcat Steel

As Aromatic pointed out, this always had a target number of 39. I had three remnants here that fit 8, 13, and 18 pieces. Combination of those numbers are how we came to the price breaks that we had.

There can be more targets made, we just felt that since this buy reached it's intended goal, we should wrap it up. We can always start another buy!

TBE

Paid

Let's get paid up guys.  I want to shoot these things!
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

wcmartin1

Quote from: TBE on December 04, 2010, 05:12:47 PM
Paid

Paid yesterday.

Git-R-Done
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Cooper

Quote from: TBE on December 04, 2010, 05:12:47 PM
Paid

Paid tonight.
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Bobcat Steel

I have payments for 15 of the 39 targets as of this post.

On a side note, if anyone would like me to send them some business cards, shoot me a PM and I will make sure I get some your way.  O0

nmmi9100

Paid today for two targets via Paypal.  $260.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Bobcat Steel

As of this post payments have been made, or arranged, on 25 of the 39 targets.

I don't really want to out the guys here who haven't paid &)....I may send a reminder PM here later today. @)

Thanks again!

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

crak

For the record, we paid over the weekend.
Check your drama at the door.

Bobcat Steel

I have payments or been contacted to make arrangements from the following:

wcmartin1 x2
M1D x1
Aromatic x2
TBE x1
crak x5
Cooper x3
Polygunner x1
Nmmi9100 x2
Big Papa x1
smpcpeak x1
Jerry Hall x2
Ewald x1
Drag-it x1
Chainsaw x1
ID_Hezekiah x2
Pennys Dad x2
TaosGlock x 1
devnull x2
duc-dog x2

Still need to hear from:

eaglescouter / Northern CA - 4
EEL / IL - 1
TheEditor / IL - 1

Please contact me ASAP to arrange payment so we can get these going.

Thanks again to everyone for the participation!

dragit

I have already paid. 12-7-10  I am Tommy N. in the paid list
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Bobcat Steel

I heard from eaglescouter this weekend.

George63 has offered to run the targets from IN to IL for that group. Since EEL and TheEditor are both IL guys, he has offered to cover their targets and collect locally. Thanks!! :bow:

As soon as he and I get in touch, we are GTG. O0

Aromatic

For those who sent me zip codes, I sent out shipping prices today.

TaosGlock

Thanks for all your help you guys. I will send my shipping $ out in the next mail.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

nmmi9100

Check for shipping went out today.

-David
Edgewood, NM