News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hi, new guy here!

Started by Tuksonrider, November 24, 2010, 10:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuksonrider

Hi everyone. Greetings from Tucson.

I'm kinda new to shooting. I used to hunt with my dad about ..gee... 20-some years ago. I stopped shooting since, but now I'm back. My fiance got me back into shooting. Anyway, 3 weeks ago, I purchased a Savage MARK II GXP (.22 bolt action), and really interested in the Appleseed in Sierra Vista on Dec 18-19. My fiance intends to be with me and at the event. She has her own firearms.

What I'd like to know is where are some really nice camping spots near there. We plan to camp out on the 16th or 17th. We don't need any facilities, so just a basic campground is fine.

Thanks, and hope to see y'all out there!

Gordon

Hey, welcome to the RWVA forum!

I'm many hundreds of miles from Arizona and I don't know anything more about that site than what I can glean by a couple of minutes with the Internet. But the flier says camping on site is OK, and the club's website has a picture of a sign that suggests the whole thing is on BLM land so I suspect you can roll out your 'bag just about anywhere. And BTW, it looks fabulously beautiful! I'm jealous.  8)

Relatively new back into shooting, eh? I was the same way when I started with Appleseed, two and a half years ago. I did a bunch of shooting as a kid but none after my early 20's until June 08. Project Appleseed was just what I was looking for, in more ways than I could have expected at the time.

Enjoy the new rifle! I've never personally met any of the folks who'll be instructing, but I can tell you with great confidence that, being credentialled RWVA instructors, they will deliver truly first-rate instruction, and with infectious passion.

Welcome aboard!
-FM / Gordon.

lysander6

Yes, there is camping there (primitive) and we will see if we can make arrangements.  Any questions, please PM myself or MTProgrammer.  We look forward to having you.
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

oladcock

Welcome aboard Tuksonrider, "really interested in the Appleseed in Sierra Vista on Dec 18-19. My fiance intends to be with me and at the event. She has her own firearms."

Better marry that girl!  O0 When it comes to Appleseed and the ladies, they are dangerous! It was my wife that learned about AS and talked me into going to our first one. We were off the couch but with little meaningful direction, Appleseed was a perfect fit! Again, welcome, and we hope to see you on the trail....O.L.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

AZbinary

Hi Tuksonrider,

First of all, welcome to the boards, and to Appleseed.  Lysander6 and MT(AZ)Programmer are the Boots on the ground (BOTG) in Sierra Vista, but I've been there a few times, and will be there next month.

There is camping right at the range, or in the area right around it.  Facilities are a bit spotty, the range has a water spigot and an outhouse.  I hope Lysander and MTProgrammer see this and chime in too.

Looking forward to meeting you at the shoot next month,  let me know if I can help with anything prior to the event.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

Kaiser Leib

Everybody keeps mentioning me, but they've already covered it. We've had shooters camp at the range before. I encourage you to make sure you've got a sling and some sort of adjustable sights for that rifle; other than that, I look forward to meeting you!
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

AZOpie

Welcome to (the) AZ (forum) Tuksonrider, I am sure you will have a great time in Sierra Vista.

Hey MT - wrong color hat! Guess you have some more photoshopping to do  **)

Quote from: MTProgrammer on November 24, 2010, 01:24:08 PM
Everybody keeps mentioning me, but they've already covered it. We've had shooters camp at the range before. I encourage you to make sure you've got a sling and some sort of adjustable sights for that rifle; other than that, I look forward to meeting you!

AZbinary

Quote from: AZOpie on November 24, 2010, 01:26:16 PM
Welcome to AZ Tuksonrider, I am sure you will have a great time in Sierra Vista.

Hey MT - wrong color hat! Guess you have some more photoshopping to do  **)

Wrong two letter designator as well, Maybe it's time for a total avatar and handle revamp  :)
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

AzAce

Welcome!!!
I am new around here too. I attended my first AS event on Sat, Nov 20th 2010 in Buckeye, AZ. Man, I had fun!!! But more importantly I LEARNED a lot.
Great bunch of folks all around.

Tuksonrider

Thanks for the info and welcome all! :)

Right now, the biggest obstacle right now is that we have 2 pets (dog & cat), so I'll have to find a sitter. We're looking at Ramsey Vista camping spot. We like campfires, and unsure if campfires are allowed near the event.

Anyway, I read up on the faq and what to expect. I'll have to get a sling, a second magazine clip for my rifle, and swivel studs and sling for my fiance's rifle. Neither of our rifles have iron sights, but they do have a scopes. They are both .22's. I'm HOPING I can borrow my dad's old hunting rifle. It's a pre-64' Winchester 270 (bought new in 1945 by my grandfather). Needless to say, he doesn't let many people handle it.

Question: Are thin (1/4") padded rolling mats allowed/recommended for the prone position shooting?

JustJeff

QuoteQuestion: Are thin (1/4") padded rolling mats allowed/recommended for the prone position shooting?
whatever you're comfortable using.... I first used a painters tarp but now I use a 'moving blanket.'  A lot of others use carpet remnants, some use exercise mats, while others use sleeping pads (camping style), and of course there are quite a few who use actual "shooters mats."  
Just remember you're going to be on your ELBOWS a LOT, so you want to be comfortable.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Kaiser Leib

Quote from: JustJeff on November 25, 2010, 03:16:10 PM
QuoteQuestion: Are thin (1/4") padded rolling mats allowed/recommended for the prone position shooting?
whatever you're comfortable using.... I first used a painters tarp but now I use a 'moving blanket.'  A lot of others use carpet remnants, some use exercise mats, while others use sleeping pads (camping style), and of course there are quite a few who use actual "shooters mats."  
Just remember you're going to be on your ELBOWS a LOT, so you want to be comfortable.

I usually use those 1/4" camping mats, because they're portable. My favorite, though, is an appropriately-sized shag carpet remnant.

In any case, some sort of mat is highly recommended.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

Jerry Hall

Howdy All,

Jerry Hall here, in El Paso. Tuksonrider and fiance, welcome to the AS forum and the AS Project . Get ready to hang on, as it's a great ride. 
Been meaning to make it over there to meet Y'all and for the shoots, hopefully soon!

I was just wondering if Y'all were still doing the Tucson LTR Skill polishing night at the 29th St. Marksman indoor range on Wednesday nights.
If so, It might be a good place to meet up and get a headstart on the POI for the AS shoot. Just a thought.

Also congrats to all those whom are advancing in the AZ instructor cadre.

Hope to meet up with you all soon,

Happy Trails.....Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

azmule

Yup - Wednesday evenings at the 29th St. Marksman about 6pm or so.  I occasionally have to miss (like I did last week) but either myself, slinged_in, and/or the unknown orange-hat should be there any Wednesday, always looking for more to join us.

Coming in late after having been out of touch for the last week, but welcome Tuksonrider & fiance!  The Mule-Mrs. is a fitness trainer, so we have those thin waffley-textured foam yoga mats laying around the house anyway - those work pretty good, and WallyWorld, Kmart, Target, Ross, etc. sell them for about $9 typically.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Tuksonrider

Hi! I was there on the 18th. Unfortunately, my fiance could not attend. Hopefully, perhaps at the next one. After I told her of my day, she really really wished she had went. She may have some trouble with the transitions. SHe has had back surgery and her lower spine fused, but that doesn't keep her from loving to shoot. On her good days, she can walk around a bit. On her bad days, she's pretty much confined to a wheelchair to get around.

Anyway, I was one of the few with a bolt-action rifle out there on Saturday. I'm way rusty working that bolt-action quickly. I eventually modified the feed lips on my mags the next day. Seems to alleviate some of the feeding issues I was having.

In hindsight, I should have used my fiance's Remington 597 autoloader. I replaced the extractor and sighted it in at 50 yrds the weekend prior. It's a great rifle, and if I can afford another rifle, I'd get my own.

Anyway, I want to thank ALL the instructors who put it together and those that attended.  :bow: I learned SO MUCH, especially after picking up a rifle for the first time in 20 years. I knew some basics, but the Appleseed really taught me techniques that went well beyond what I knew, and what I THOUGHT I knew. I also really enjoyed the history portion. It kept me captivated.

I frequent the SERP range every chance I get (I actually contemplated going there the following Sunday, but I had a full "honey-do" list). I look forward to practicing what I learned. It would trully be awesome to have an Appleseed in Tucson. The 1.5 hour drive to sierra vista range is not bad, but it would be really nice to have it in Tucson.

Oh, I want to thank Brent (hope I remembered his name correctly). One of the attendees who offered me a sandwich during the lunch/history portion of the event.  :bow: Truly, a bunch of the friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

AZbinary

Glad you enjoyed your first Appleseed!  The first of many I hope!  We shoot the SERP about every other weekend, on the short side where there are no benches (of course!), and from opening to about 1000.

The next Sierra Vista Appleseed is in February, and we're still trying to nail down the SERP for Appleseeds in 2011.

Hope to see you there, at both or either!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

TaosGlock

From the state New Mexico, just 4 hours from you, a warm welcome aboard!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Gordon

Quote from: AZbinary on December 20, 2010, 03:57:17 PM

... we're still trying to nail down the SERP for Appleseeds in 2011. ...

O0  O0

azmule

Quote from: AZbinary on December 20, 2010, 03:57:17 PM
We shoot the SERP about every other weekend, on the short side where there are no benches (of course!), and from opening to about 1000.
And LTR night is at the 29th St. Marksman every Wednesday from 6 to 9 pm.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

slinged_in

I will be at the Marksman tonight, barring any unforseen work stuff.

slinged_in

Jennie O

Hi!
I'm Tuksonrider's fiance! He finally got me off the couch and we went out this weekend. I had a blast. Everyone was so friendly and I learned a lot! Tuksonrider (Tony) got his Rifleman patch! I'm so proud of him...and im next! ^:)^

The wind really gave us a run for our money so we will almost definitely be there in April!  O0

Keep up the good work, and next time I will try to talk my 17 year old daughter into coming.  After we told her how much fun we had, she wanted to come. 

~Jennie

AZOpie

Congrats to Tuksonrider on shooting to Rifleman standards! And a big thank you to you Jennie for coming out! It's great to hear you so energized. I look forward to your post saying you shot that Rifleman score too. O0

AZO

And by all means - get your daughter on the line - it'll be a rewarding experience for her!

Quote from: Jennie O on February 27, 2011, 04:07:24 AM
Hi!
I'm Tuksonrider's fiance! He finally got me off the couch and we went out this weekend. I had a blast. Everyone was so friendly and I learned a lot! Tuksonrider (Tony) got his Rifleman patch! I'm so proud of him...and im next! ^:)^

The wind really gave us a run for our money so we will almost definitely be there in April!  O0

Keep up the good work, and next time I will try to talk my 17 year old daughter into coming.  After we told her how much fun we had, she wanted to come. 

~Jennie

AZbinary

It was a pleasure meeting you, and congratuilations again!  Well done!  Yes, the wind made it a challenge, but you should've seen it with the snow added in today!

Looking forward to seeing you guys again in April.

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

SamD

Welcome aboard to both of you.  O0

Mark Davis

Wasn't Tony (tuskonrider) the guy with the bolt gun at Seirra Vista in December?

AZbinary

Yup...you missed a Montana-like 'seed today!  pics soon
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

Tuksonrider

Heh... thanks all. I'm glad I made rifleman, but I know I can do better than squeezing by with a score of 210, wind or no wind (especially with no wind)  ;) That was some crazy wind. We contemplated staying for Sunday, but we camped right outside the range, and the wind was causing absolute havoc on our campsite. Our tent was almost blown flat! Luckily, I staked it down the night before and was suprised the stakes held. Needless to say, it was an adventure breaking camp.  :D

Yup.. I was there in Dec with a bolt gun. This time I had a Rem. 597 semi-auto like Jennie's rifle. Having a semi-auto really made it easier with stage 2 and 3. In April, I want to try the bolt gun again against the AQT. I still have some feed issues with it if I work the bolt too rapidly.

I do want to mention, Jennie scored a 149 and a 160 on her first AQT ever respectively. She had never fired an AQT before that Saturday.  The first AQT she misunderstood the rules, and thought there was a change magazine command, so she never shot off the last 8 rounds in stage 2. I think she had an advantage... she's more aerodynamic than me... or I was blocking the wind for her...probably a bit of both.  @)  The last AQT we shot before calling it becuase of wind.. .she had a better group than me on stage 1.   I have no doubt she'd make rifleman come April.

AZbinary

Here's Tony getting his patch

And here's your instructor crew the next morning...those white dots are frozen bis of water other people call "snow"...very strange for AZ

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

Mark Davis

Good Job Tony,
That instructor crew photo looks like a buch of guys out ice fishing!

lysander6

Tony rocked the house on the first AQT (of only two) on SAT.  His sighter square groups could be hidden under a dime!  Well met, Tony!
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...