News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Grandfield OK - Badlands Nov 2010

Started by dalesp, November 22, 2010, 02:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalesp

Another great shoot at Badlands in Grandfield.  We didn't make any new Rifleman, but we had a lot of improvement.  Opening weekend for Deer season had a big impact on on our attendance.  We had 7 on the line Saturday morning.  6 Appleseed veterans and 1 first timer.
"There are three reasons to own a gun: To protect yourself and your family, to hunt dangerous and delicious animals and to keep the King of England out of your face."
                          ~ Herschel Shmoikel Pinchas Yerucham Krustofski (Krusty the Clown)

Scarecrow

Great weather at Badlands/Grandfield? An Oklahoma first! It was NICE.
Dale Spencer promotes to RedHat Instructor!!!  ^:)^ ^:)^ :--- ..:..

K98Al

Good Job Dale! Looks like y'all had fun.

It just doesn't look like Grandfield when everyone looks dry and warm, though.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Greg in MO

Congrats Dale!  Way to persist and earn that hat!

I expect great things from the OK crew next year...  I'm sure I won't be disappointed!

Greg

oldgrunt

Yes. both Dale and Scarecrow both made it to the next level ..We had a great group even the ladies are coming more and more..Next year should bring alot of new Instructors thanks to all that were there...KD was nice we all learned what it took to make the 200 ..huh?lol I'll post later.. pictures and stuff .... Grandfeild 4 years of fun Aprils not far of lol
Follow Me..I am the Infantry..
                                         Iron Mike

THE MAN COMES AROUND..Johnny Cash

"If there must be trouble,..Let it be in my day,That my child may have peace".....

THOMAS PAINE

gpbbiker

Congratulations Dale & Scarecrow!!! ^:)^
Gee! the pictures look like it was warm and dry? What's up with that?? ???
Are we going to see you Oklyhomers at the AIBC up north in December??
"Never pick a fight with an old man, if he's too old to fight, he'll simply kill you."
Loosely attributed to both Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck
"Life is nothing more than the pursuit of stories worth telling to children" - Me

The ][rishman

Congratulations!  I hope to see you both in December.

][
III
"Thou shalt never be a perpetrator.
Thou shalt never be a victim.
And thou shalt never, but never, be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer

An Phoblacht abĂș
KD0OHT

Scarecrow

Looks like 4 to 6 of us will be there for Dec. AIBC.

henschman

It was a low-turnout shoot, but everybody involved had a great experience, including the instructors.  

Because of the short line, we were able to run ahead of schedule on Saturday and get 3 AQTs done.  Dale gave the history intro and the 1st strike and I did the second.  Several more AQTs were done on Sunday morning, with instructors alternating through a spot on the line.  

Sunday afternoon we moved to the KD range, where oldgrunt and Eppie had set up a target line earlier in the day.  At this point, we didn't have hardly any students left... 2 had gone home, 2 had to go check out of their hotel in Wichita Falls over lunch and were going to be late, and one didn't want to shoot KD.  So we took this opportunity to give the instructors a chance to shoot the full distance AQT.  dalesp, Scarecrow, Caleb, Eppie and I were on the line.  OG shuttled us back and forth to look at our sighters in/on his Jeep, and he went up and counted our scores while the shooters walked to the next firing point after each stage.

The range is a sniper school, and is actually set up for steel silhouettes (they go out to 1,000 yards).  Because of the lay of the land, and all the berms at various distances, we were only able to shoot out to 300 yds. on our paper targets... we had to shoot stage 4 on steel.  Fortunately, the steel targets at Badlands are 20" wide upper human torso silhouettes, just like we use in Appleseed, so it worked out pretty well.  We just gave 10 points for every hit.  The shooters shot stage 4 one at a time, with a "jury" of spotters calling hits or misses.  It was pretty hard to spot hits for the 5.56mm rifles.  They just left little poofs of lead where they impacted, didn't make much sound, and didn't move the silhouettes (which were hanging by chains).  Even Eppie's hand-loaded 69 grain JHP match rounds were hard to spot hits with.  However, the impact of the 7.62s were rather obvious... they would leave a large mark on the freshly-painted targets, knock them sideways, and produce a very distinct "ding."  

It was quite windy... around 20 mph.  However, it was pretty much a no-value wind... I only had to adjust 1 MOA right at 300, and one more MOA right at 400.  Standing position was rather difficult.  Anyway, after it was all said and done, 2 of our instructors had qualified at full distance... congrats to Eppie and ME!!!   ..:.. :---  

After the AQT, we just had a classic Badlands free-for-all on the steel silhouettes for anybody who wanted to shoot, including our two guys who had returned from Wichita Falls, and our shooter who initially didn't want to shoot KD.

So though we didn't make any NEW Riflemen at this shoot, we did have a couple of instructors confirm it at KD, and even the ones who didn't qualify got some valuable knowledge and experience with shooting KD in strong wind.  We also got some big promotions done... congrats to Dale, who promoted to Red Hat!  Man, you've definitely been working hard and have improved a lot; and Scarecrow, who promoted to IIT3... I know you worked hard on that IMC!  Good stuff.

See you all in December.  I will be in touch about our carpool plans.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819