News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka, Florida Appleseeds

Started by PHenry, February 09, 2008, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Well, the February Appleseeds shoot at the Manatee Gun & Archery Club went a little like April 19th. 1775, in the sense that hearts and minds were changed in one day as to the caliber of the attendees. While the good folks at Manatee did acquiese to hosting the event, they were evidently apprehensive about the whole affair. In fact, I had written them what I thought was a very nice letter last year asking them to consider hosting and did not even receive a response. They put us on a range waay in the back. Still, they were nice enough to have coffee and doughnuts for us in the AM and even a decent $5.00 lunch. We were issued our very own RO for the entire weekend and he watched us in ominous silence at first. Apparently, he was most impressed by our level of safety, as well as the manner in which the attendees and instructors handled themselves - even lingering to catch the history lessons. Before we knew it he had commandeered some of the clubs higher-ups to come out and see Appleseeds first hand. Well, they were so impressed that they told the Shoot Boss, DragonWood that Appleseeds was welcome to return! They found out in one day that the Appleseeds crew knew well what they were about. The base-line comment was that "You are not what we expected at all". You can tell people all day what you are about, but most have to see it to believe it I suppose. They have even promised us a much nicer range for the next shoot - that's putting your facility where your mouth is.
The shoot went well, owing to the usual excellence of the instructors and DragonWood's confident management. I watched as one man went from a single round on paper out of 13 on the first day, to a score of 180 on the AQT by the end of the second! A buddy that I brought out with me improved significantly from his last Applseed, despite a serious lack of practice and a sore need of glasses (I have already begun a ride on him that will not cease until he gets proper spectacles).
I took up NRA HP competition late last year as a means to be able to shoot from position at my club. Despite much practice and a previous Appleseed, I also improved my groups markedly, making rifleman for the second time, but this time I did it sans Eotech HWS and a match-grade barrel. This time I made a better score (221), and did it with a truly rack-grade GI rifle and iron sites! I went more for the camaraderie of it, but I knew in the back of my mind that I would learn something new and of course I did.
Their was a new twist this time that involved shooting at a small star-shaped target from prone - with eyes closed! Of course it was under very careful supervision. The purpose was to show the shooter in real-time just how important NPOA really is. It is the foundation upon which every good shot is built. While I knew how important NPOA is - I was fooling myself. That simple exercise showed me that I was not truly acquiring my NATURAL point of aim. DragonWood showed us that she always "wiggles" a bit to be sure that she is not muscling the rifle - that also worked well for me. I shot a 1" group with my eyes closed - proof of NPOA. Fred says that targets talk - well sometimes they yell! Thems that had NPOA shot small groups and thems that did not were all over the paper. One fellow shot a five shot group that was well under .5"!
We did not have a lot of walk-ons, but considering that it was Super Bowl weekend it was good turn out - there were more than 40 true Patriots in attendance that heard Lady Liberty's siren call, and answered with a roar! I am making it my personal mission to make the April 19th. shoot at Myakka a "gate buster". I want to see the good folks at MG&AC open up a second range! I have been invited to serve as an instructor in training, and of course I accepted. I have felt good all week since the shoot - like a swelling in my chest that defies description. Makes my world look just a little bit better - like a little ray of sunshine on a dreary day. I guess it is hope. In the midst of all the bad signs in America, Applseeds gives me hope that my beautiful country may survive, and that my little granddaughter will be able to enjoy the same Freedoms that I have. My heartfelt thanks to DragonWood, Atticus, HawkHavn, and DonD. It is an honor to be associated with all of you.
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata