News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Are You a Veteran?

Started by Son of Isaac, November 11, 2010, 11:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Son of Isaac

Are You a Veteran?

There is no greater contribution to one's country than to offer your life, family, or fortune in defense of liberty.

Thank you to all who have served this great nation.

Are you a veteran?  I would really like to express my gratitude for your service.

Can you please take a moment to post your branch, term of service, theater, etc?

Thank you!

Jake

Old Dog

Since you asked.

US Army
volunteered in 1975, Ft. Jackson, SC for basic, Ft. Polk, LA for AIT, Ft. Myer, VA for the rest of my four years.

If I hadn't gone to Ft. Myer I'd never have learned what a great rifle the M14 is and probably wouldn't have bought my M1A (since they sure wouldn't let me bring my TRW M14 home with me >:()
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Son of Isaac

Thank you for your service, Old Dog.  And happy Veterans day to you!

cswhitfield

USMC 1970 - 1976

Among the last to have the privilege to train with a real battle rifle, the M14.  I kinda miss C Rations (what's wrong with me?!)

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Earl

cswhitfield, you kept trading you ham and lima beans away - or always were first at the case ;D

I do know what you mean about the M14, Army 1967 to 1994. :cool2:

Fort Benning, GA
Sandhill, BCT 1967
OCS Infantry 1967
Jump School  1972    And I have motorcycled across Georgia several times.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Jungle George

Army 69 to 71,  Trained in basic at Ft. Ord with M14, infantry AIT same place with M16 did a year in Vietnam and Cambodia wth the first Air Cav. then finished my time out in Ft Leonard Wood as a stockade guard watching all those that didn't want to go. I was drafted, I didn't really want to go but I did.
  I lost several good friends in the green latrine.
JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Son of Isaac

Thank you all for your post on this thread and your service to this country.  

Comments started to come in a little slowly and I was concerned that our heroes might be too modest to share their story.

Although my immediate family has not served in the armed forces, one uncle retired Lt. Col. from the Airforce and my two grandfathers served in WWII.  One in the Battle of the Bulge as a tank driver and the other was stationed in the Philippines.  I'm pleased to report that both survived the engagement!

Thank you all for your contribution.

P.S. I am partial to the M14, myself.  ;)

cswhitfield

Earl,
Actually I didn't mind the Ham & MFs so much as the Ham & Eggs.  Didn't have the facination with the Pound Cake that everyone else seemed to have so I made some pretty good trades.  Loved the Apricots and the Pork Slices w/ potatos, still miss em!  I tell you there is something wrong with me!

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Reddot

cswhitfield,
We'd have got a long fine; i would have traded you ham and MF's for ham and eggs everytime---I miss the John Wayne bars--the MREs missed that with the new 'track pads' and 'road-wheels'  :wb:
ARNG 1979-80
USAR 80-83
RA 83-05
v/r,
Chuck

judgecrater

Hello.
Army
Basic and AIT, Ft. Polk, LA 
MOS, 11C light fire team
4-39th, 9th Inf Div
Vietnam, 1968, 1969

Got my orange hat last week!
Steve

Andre

Army

1972 - 1975
101st Airborne, Ft. Campbell, KY
(Vietnam regroup)
finished last 9 months at AFEES, Cincinnati, OH

trained with M16 - didn't get to touch or see the M14   >:(

CharlieHotel

VMO-2 MAG-39 1984-88, 11th MEU 1988-1989 MAG-36 Futenma, Okinawa, Japan 1989-90 MAG-39 Rifle and Pistol Team 1987 and 88 earned secondary MOS 8531 Marksmanship Instructor and had the privilege of training some of the finest rifleman in the world.
Ooh-Rah!
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

blackswamp becky

My husband

US Army Eng
77 to 98
MOS 12E20 and 12B40
2 ACR Bamberg, Germany
101st  FT. Campbell, KY

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Ronald Reagan

alonso1

U.S.Army   1988-1992

MOS  11C   High Angle Hell!

Basic training  Ft. Benning, GA

2/2 ACR Bamberg, Germany

101st  FT. Campbell, KY

1992-1994  U.S. Army Reserves

G company, Ellington Field  Houston, Texas

traveler

USMC 67-73 qualified with the M14 at PI.  Never could accept those little guns I tested in Panama. ^-^
The impossible just takes a little longer.

Son of Isaac

Thank you for your post on this thread and your contribution to this country!

goose

WingNut/Zoomie
1975 Sep Basic, Oct Lowry AFB, CO Munitions 461x0  (BB Stacker)
'76-'78 Ramstein, GE 86th MMS
'78-'80 Homestead 31st TFW
'80-'81 Incirlik, Turkey Det 92
'81-Myrtle Beach AFB, SC 354th EMS
'82-'86 Langley AFB, VA 71st TFW

Basic qualified with M16/5.56
Remaining years used the "VRS" (Varmint Rifle to Squirrel) Adapter to fire .22LR.  And perfected the "trigger hand waving antler" technique to alert the Range Boss that your Squirrel Gun had jammed--AGAIN.
Was qualified on .38 for munitions convoys, for whatever absurd reason that having a sidearm was going to give some tactical advantage.

--Jim
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

mtmisfit

US Army
'83-92 INSCOM
FRG
Turkey (1st sand box)
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

Two Wolves

I volunteered, what was i thinking?

United States Marine Corps
1969/1975

Qualified expert with m14 at Pendleton
Vietnam, 70/71, mos 0331 M60 machinegunner

I was very proud that after being only 1 of 2 to qualify expert in my platoon in training, almost exactly 40 years later to the date, I attended my first Appleseed and shot a rifleman score. Now I look forward to every Appleseed that I can attend.

Thank You Fred

Best regards, Rodger Glenn, aka Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Son of Isaac

Thank you all for your service.

ID_Hezekiah

U.S. Navy - 70-76.  Nuclear submariner MM1(SS), LELT  USS Lapon SSN-661, Subron 6 out of Norfolk, VA

(I had to get a squid in here amongst all the Army vets!)
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

SamD

Veteran?
Nah, that's them old guys over there by the fountain  :cool2:

dart67eb

Army 81-90  Joined on Jan 20th of 81.  My only claim to fame.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

didactic

USAF 1972-1980.  Graduated from pilot school April 1973, only 3 of 31 graduates went to SE Asia, not including me.  Had mixed emotions about that then, still do now.

Being a military aviator was an experience I'll always be thankful for, been places and seen things I'd never have even known existed otherwise.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

oladcock

Ah come on Sam, don't be bashful! :)

USN 73-98, 6668/9502/8800, more places than I can count....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

DaveD

USAF 1969 - 1993  Aircraft Weapons Systems  ("Bomb loader" ....  >:D among other things.)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Johnnyappleseed

USMC
64-68
scored marksman 130----146 with M14 --- :o   probably was one of poorly fitted rifles they gave Me ,or even crummy milspec ammo   ::)MOS 0811 ------155 howitzers  and 4.2 morters
Volunteered Vietnam 66 ,mostly Special Landing force from Navy ships --- Operation Starlight was most recognisable as I recall  #)

Was shooting pistol recently ,a young man was next to me and we struck up a conversation .
I asked "Do you speak any language other than English?" He replied yes Vietnamese.
I told him I was sorry we were not allowed to help  liberate you from Communist domination  :

He looked me straight in the eye and said " I think if we stick together we can keep this one" ^5
Yup the only criteria to be an American --- the desire to live free

Recently I gave a political contribution to a pro liberty candidate .At the same time I was 7th stepping AS
When I showed up for the lunch they allowed me to speak . Since the audience was Vietnamese -- I started the talk with the above story,finished with -"The desire to live free .

The true heroes of America are every person furthering liberty via volunteer work esp Appleseed ___ I am proud to be associated with each of you .
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Son of Isaac

Johnnyappleseed,

Thank you for your service and your outstanding contribution to this thread.

~TravelPatriot

sparks1

Regular Army 9/70-9/73    MOS > 91bravo  Infantry medic.  3 yrs in Germany 1/15th Infantry   Only one of 3 brothers NOT to go to Viet Nam.

Bro1...Marine at Khe Sahn during Tet
Bro2...2 tours.. 1 with Hatchet Forces MACV -SOG, 2nd tour CCN recon A teams... which is why I did not go. ( Sullivan act)    Ever read "We Few" ...his book.

Germany sure had some good beer !

BTW    Thanks for asking
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Son of Isaac

Sparks1,

Thank you for your service.  I'm happy to ask.  I wanted to know.  Seemed only appropriate to do so on Veterans Day.

~TravelPatriot