News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ruger 1022 Mods from MacMcM

Started by MacMcM, November 04, 2010, 12:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacMcM

I was asked what my recipe is for 1022's...

I do the Auto Bolt Release mod, either buy one or use your Dremel
I add an extended Mag Release if your 1022 doesn't already have one
A polymeric buffer pin
And my best mod is the Power Custom Hammer/Sear kit This is drop-in and gives a really nice trigger!

The kit has everything you need with it, but you may need to adjust the sear engagement a little with the included allen wrench. Assembly of the sear/disconnector is made very easy with the included dummy pin. I see Midway even has this kit on sale right now!!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=181454

This is what I have in "Lil Mac" the Redcoat killer. ;)

Note: I also polished all of the parts that need it (Bolt, hammer, inside of receiver)
YMMV... I came up with this after many hours on rimfirecentral.com and much misuse of American currency. (Don't tell Nurse Boop)
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

Chrome

The sale price on that kit ($47.99) is the same as the dealer pricing.  A good buy.  A cheaper alternative is go get just a Power Custom hammer.  However, I think the sear is worth the extra $10.

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

MacMcM

Quote from: Chrome on November 04, 2010, 02:42:56 PM
The sale price on that kit ($47.99) is the same as the dealer pricing.  A good buy.  A cheaper alternative is go get just a Power Custom hammer.  However, I think the sear is worth the extra $10.

Later,
Chrome...

and you get all the shims and pins with the kit! and that cool dummy pin.
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

lupis42

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

ruralgeek

If you're new to the 10/22, below is a link to a good e-book that walks you through the "fuff and buff" polishing that Mac mentioned.  It refers to ways to make the factory parts better instead of replacing them.  That said, I have one 10/22 with the basic steps from the book and one with the book steps plus Volquartsen Target Hammer and spring https://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=145851.  Trigger pull with the Volquartsen is much better.

http://www.theworks1022.com/

MacMcM

Quote from: lupis42 on November 04, 2010, 02:48:41 PM
What do you do about the sights?
Good question!! I have Tech Sights on one and have scoped one.
I have severe astigmatism, so I have to use a scope. I also needed more eye relief, therefore an extended rail. My scope is a 3X9 (set on 4) with adj objective so 25m is in focus. My point is don't be afraid to make your rifle fit you with cheek weld mods or whatever. Stock 1022's rarely fit adults or smaller people. I suggest rimfirecentral forums as a resource.

jmcglash

Quote from: MacMcM on November 05, 2010, 10:20:47 AM
Quote from: lupis42 on November 04, 2010, 02:48:41 PM
What do you do about the sights?
Good question!! I have Tech Sights on one and have scoped one.
I have severe astigmatism, so I have to use a scope. I also needed more eye relief, therefore an extended rail. My scope is a 3X9 (set on 4) with adj objective so 25m is in focus. My point is don't be afraid to make your rifle fit you with cheek weld mods or whatever. Stock 1022's rarely fit adults or smaller people. I suggest rimfirecentral forums as a resource.

I started with Tech Sights but I also suffer from an astigmatism in my dominant eye  !@#)
I was forced to admit Iron would only take me so far and my sweet little 10/22 LTR is now an Old Goat Gun.
The BSA Sweet 22 is nice. It really helps to be able to see the cross hair and the target at the SAME time!

I could also use some additional eye relief though. Which extended rail are you using?
I don't mind drilling the rail for the receiver hole pattern but I would rather not spend too much just in case.

Jim
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."
~  Lord Robert Baden-Powell

CaptG

EGW makes a cantilever mount for 10/22 that gives about 2 more inches of eye relief. Midway has 'em for about $40. I like mine, but I'm hoping my new eye prescription lets me go back to tech sights. FWIW I've switched from irons to scope several times & the tech sights stay zeroed.
Guy
"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

MacMcM

I think I have the same one Guy refers to. It uses std ruger holes and is picatinny. I got mine from Optics Planet online. $40 also. The rear of my scope is square with the back of the receiver.

Back to rehearsing my Strikes for tomorrow!
Mac

Rifleman Scooby

Just did my homemade auto bolt release. Works like a charm.