News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Is there a gear thread? I found a cool hand placement indicator/stop

Started by Alpha Chicken, October 31, 2010, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha Chicken

I was wondering if there is a thread dedicated to innovative gear? On the Firing line last weekend Doc had this cool picatinny rail hand stop and Iwanted to get one for myself. Little did I know it runs around $50!! SO I did some searching and found an innovative alternative.

Heres what doc had.
http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/weapon-controls/
It's handy for retaining the same hand placement on every shot. And considering he shot Rifleman, I'd say it probably works pretty good.

These are the alternatives I found.
$4 for two + shipping
http://www.amazon.com/ERGO-RAIL-HAND-STOPS-2PK/dp/B002E6P2LK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1288563331&sr=8-4

$8 for one + shipping
http://www.amazon.com/ERGO-SURESTOP-TACTL-RAIL-HAND/dp/B0026O3O74/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1288563331&sr=8-3

and
$30 for one + shipping (review says it's sharp and hurts your hand)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=442414

I've ordered the first one and will let everyone know how it works out. I have high hopes.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

H. L. Mencken
    US editor (1880 - 1956)

henschman

KAC makes this handstop that has a QD 1 1/4" sling swivel on the back of it.  Pretty neat, but they are around $55.
http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4015&currency=USD

However, there is this Chinese knockoff of it, made for airsoft guns, for 15 bucks.
http://www.ecrater.com/p/9309944/iron-airsoft-kac-style-rail

I think I'll probably try the Chinese one on the AR that I'm building.  It might be taking a chance, but what the hey, it's only $15.  I bought a cheap picatinny QD sling swivel off an airsoft website for one of my other rifles one time, and it is as solid as anything.

That rifle I'm building will have the standard fixed gas block front sight, so as to keep the sights attached to the barreled action, and I'll add a free float handguard to attach the front sling swivel to.  That way any sling pressure will pull the handguard, and not the barrel/front sight.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

desertrat144

If you don't mind I'll hyperlink to the Adaptive Appleseed Program on the Items that don't seem to fit else where thread.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Spanner

Quote from: henschman on October 31, 2010, 08:55:45 PM

KAC makes this handstop that has a QD 1 1/4" sling swivel on the back of it. 

I have an old birch M-14 stock that I have sacrificed on the altar of science.  Well... the experiments are ongoing, so maybe you could say that I am torturing it in the name of science.  It holds a SA Scout squad rifle.  I have tried using a swivel stud (screw end ground down so as not to interfere with the moving parts-- yikes!) at various points between the permanent forward swivel and the magazine well, in order to use a quick-release swivel & sling as the hand stop.  My tentative conclusions are that as the forward swivel moves closer to the mag well, the more the rifle tends to come out of recoil with a cant.  The other factors in the experiment are nearly uncountable (all of my various and sundry personal shooting quirks, plus stuff I tried in response to suggestions from the fine instructors at a recent RBC) so take it with a very large grain of salt, but I thought I'd share.  (.308 with 18" barrel).

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

desertrat144

Are you using a muzzle brake?  If what type- USGI or commercial?  My thoughts on this are that it may influence cant & other factors, also I'm curious how well the USGI Issued one works in other than full auto mode.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

SamD

Spanner

Quote from: desertrat144 on November 01, 2010, 03:18:35 PM
Are you using a muzzle brake?  If what type- USGI or commercial?  My thoughts on this are that it may influence cant & other factors, also I'm curious how well the USGI Issued one works in other than full auto mode.

Tom, if your question is to me:  The rifle is sold with a muzzle brake, but I have a normal M1A flash suppressor on it.  I haven't fired it with the muzzle brake... yet.

I should have mentioned that with a hand stop installed, and the sling through the normal permanent forward swivel, the canting-on-recoil problem basically went away.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel

desertrat144

S.

Yes it was to you, but you seem to have solved the problem.

Tom

Castle Mountain

I employed an effective, yet cheap hand stop on the forestock  of our AR 10T rifles.

A simple, tight fitting spud flange washer or ring 1 1/2" diameter. Slides on tight. Used a 1 1/4 " tie wrap to secure it down
ever more tightly so as not to  move, once it was correctly positioned on our rifles. Nice solid ring hand stop that also
raised the rifle of the ground a bit. Looks cool  to. :)

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/SearchResults.asp?Extensive_Search=Y&Search=1+1%2F2+flange+spud+washer

Picked mine up at ACE HARDWARE.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Castle Mountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in