News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Potential NE Iowa Appleseed site

Started by Cooper, October 30, 2010, 08:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

Hawkeyes:

I am a lowly IIT3 in MN near the MN/WI/IA borders.  Since the need for home and farm wind damage repairs prevented me from heading north to help the instructor corps in Hinckley, MN I took a short trip south investigating NE Iowa ranges.   There is a "hunting and gun club" just south of Decorah, IA that mostly caters to bird hunters, but has 50yd and 100yd rifle ranges as well.  It appears that they have fallen on some hard times in the last year or two (who hasn't??) and there is a possibility of a mutually beneficial relationship with Appleseed.  They have a Lodge/clubhouse that would easily serve as a place for history presentations.  The ranges themselves are not covered but have excellent berms on three sides.  The 50yd range is about 65ft wide, and could accommodate 20 shooters with ease.  The 100yd range is smaller, maybe 40ft wide, but with higher berms.  I left pamphlets and information for the range "manager" and put up a number of targets as "interest builders."

I tried to find a purported Postville, IA range and could not find anything resembling a range in Postville or its environs... not to say that it isn't there, but it's damn well hidden from a even a persistent investigator...

Are there any potential patriots in NE Iowa, or am I wasting my time trying to get something started??

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Whisker

This is area yet to be mapped for us!  Postville would be awesome, but Decorah is good enough! 

Do we have instructors in this program that speak spanish?
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

Cooper

Maybe Yiddish would be more useful.   I passed at least a half dozen Orthodox Jews walking to their synagogue in Postville while driving around looking for the purported rifle range near town.  I speak a little Spanish with the migrant workers that help me on my apple orchard, no muy bueno.  I'm doing much better learning their cooking and have quadrupled my consumption of tortillas. ;D
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

loves2hunt59

Don't speak Yiddish or Spanish. Have been informed that I don't talk English none to good.  Gavin (zero713) joined the instructor corps at the Montrose AS.  His missus was at Winterset and although not an instructor YET might be asked to translate.  In the mean time thanks to both of you for opening the possibility of northern Iowa AS's.