News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Osage DAR work schedule Dec 18-19

Started by Thor's Hammer, October 27, 2010, 12:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor's Hammer

Time to let the old thread go away.

Since some projects could not be accomplished, due to stinging critters and a location behind the KD backstop, a new work date of December 18-19 is planned.

Things to be done: Some of these tasks may be accomplished by the time it rolls around and will be edited accordingly.

1. Painting in the trailer
2. Underpinning on the trailer
3. Adding 3 poles, rafters and metal roof to the shelter left of the firing line. The metal needs to be scavenged from an old barn at the range.
4. Floor repairs in the trailer. In need of 3/4" plywood for this project.
5. Roof coating the trailer
6. A "FUN" project. There is more space, but a new "shed" needs to be constructed. Being the thrifty and imaginative person that I am, I am looking at constructing a shed out of square hay bales #) No laughing. I have been looking at cheap alternative construction ideas and came across this. There are still complete structures in Nebraska and currently companies in California, as well as 200+ year old homes in Europe. I have plenty of square bales, being that I make em, at my disposal. My plastering skills are lacking though(that IS the secret). I also think it could have a certain coolness factor to it as well as a rustic appearance, IMHO. This is an undertaking of mine, if there are any of you interested in trying this one, let me know.

As always, this date is weather dependant. If we miss out because of weather, so be it. We can try to reschedule.

Thanks to all that have helped with so much already.
Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Restless

I'll be there.

That hay bale shed sounds like a lot of fun.
"We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies

EEL

Hmmm.  Have to see if I have a vaca day left.
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

tittiger

Will be there Thor.

I have been interested in straw bale for 30 years and would love to get in on that project.
The trick in a wet climate I am told is to have large eves to keep the bales dry.

--Joe
"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
~ Thomas Paine

Thor's Hammer

In my research, a large overhang isn't always needed. Your plastering mixture dictates the need. The more portland you use, the more moisture resistant. Otherwise you use limestone. When going for a waterproof exterior, you must not use portland on your interior in order for it to breathe. You have to have breathability to prevent moisture build up and mold growth.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

tittiger

I definitely   have more questions than answers Thor.
I just remember the bits and pieces that I have picked up here and there.

Making the outside a less tight vapor barrier than the inside  makes lots of sense to me.
I imagine you need some type of footer to keep the bales dry.

Are you thinking along the lines of a rubble trench? (cheap and quick)

"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
~ Thomas Paine

Jungle George

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Thor's Hammer

Quote from: tittiger on October 27, 2010, 10:56:28 PM
I definitely   have more questions than answers Thor.
I just remember the bits and pieces that I have picked up here and there.

Making the outside a less tight vapor barrier than the inside  makes lots of sense to me.
I imagine you need some type of footer to keep the bales dry.

Are you thinking along the lines of a rubble trench? (cheap and quick)

A rubble trench is the cheapest, but I see a critter/bug nesting problem. I'm gonna go with concrete, it'll give me something to plaster seal against and provide a hard edge for a drainage trough around the building. I will also be incorporating re-bar into it.

nemohunter

PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Thor's Hammer

Thursday mentioned that he can get some pieces about 3'x4'. I haven't measured the square footage yet. I will measure on Sunday, post on Monday.

Jason

P.S. I think a little tweaking is needed on the level of the trailer. Had a lot of people in there and it was set when the ground was soft-ish. The front door is a little hard to operate.

George63

a 20 ft retired container does not look to rustic but is cheap, easy and locks up secure - you could stack straw on the sides and top, then frame a roof and plaster the sides to slow the rot - might even keep cool in summer

Celt

I can't say for sure but I'll sure try to come up and help. If I can make it I'll bring my framing tool and can tackle the rough-in carpentry work needed.
A Hessian captain (one of the 30,000 German mercenaries used by England) wrote in 1778, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scots-Irish Presbyterian rebellion."

"I need not take much pains to show, that the principles of this system, are extremely pernicious, impolitic, and dangerous. Here is a revolution as radical as that which separated us from Great Britain."  "I Smell A Rat!"  Patrick Henry

"Because they transgressed My covenant, And against My law they have rebelled... They have made kings, and not by Me, They have made princes, and I knew it not"  Hosea 8:1 and 4
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."  Psalms 33:12

Restless

Guess this is as good a place as any to share this;

I took this with a little crappy pocket camera when I was checking targets on the KD range.

Turned out to be one of my favorite pictures, so I'm getting it blown up and framed!
"We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies

Jungle George

I think that is Bonnie & Clydes old car,  :~   :~   :---
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Thor's Hammer

Quote from: George63 on October 29, 2010, 05:11:43 PM
a 20 ft retired container does not look to rustic but is cheap, easy and locks up secure - you could stack straw on the sides and top, then frame a roof and plaster the sides to slow the rot - might even keep cool in summer

I would go this route, but very costly. A really bad one can be had for maybe $1500 in this area. Coating it with roofing paint stops the rot. I can build my bale structure for about $150 and some sweat equity. A standard frame construction building would require about $1000 and same said sweat equity. Funds, like most everybodies case, are thin and must be used conservatively.

This is also an experiment. I am looking to build a hunting cabin in the near future. The terrain will not allow large trucks to make it to the building site. An ATV with a 4x6 trailer is all I can get back there. I don't want to go cutting down trees and bulldozing a road, removing the beauty of the area and damaging the creek bed.

Dug'in

Not to great with hammers and nails, but I can paint and cook. See you there.

Dug

Jungle George

All right Susan!! you going to bring mom with you?

JG

Thor's Hammer

Almost forgot, I have some chainlink fence to be stretched out and put on the gate posts to the nearest trees to close the gap on either side of the gates.

Greg in MO

Thor, 

Did you decide what tools we should bring?  Chainsaws?  Post hole diggers?  Shovels?

Let me know...

Greg

Thor's Hammer

I will post a list on 12/6. KR and I will be over there this weekend making a list of materials/tools we need to gather up for the weekend.

Dug'in

You bet George, Mom and I will make lunch on the 18th if we can get a rough head count.
O0

mikaldulee

Quote from: Greg in MO on December 01, 2010, 01:03:55 PM
Thor, 

Did you decide what tools we should bring?  Chainsaws?  Post hole diggers?  Shovels?

Let me know...

Greg

Ditto.

I'll be there Saturday.  I am stepping up to a larger role in my Church so Sundays are becoming a problem.

Thor's Hammer

Tool Needs: Battery drills, long heavy duty extension cord, pick axe or two, any helpful painting supplies(rollers, sprayers, brushes, pans, etc.), tin snips.

Materials: Master bedroom floor-14x16- 3/4" plywood

That should be all. We will have to skip the roof coating at this time because of temps, it'll be too thick to spread.

Dug'in

Have a bit of painting supplies, will bring what I have. Also have some paint, mostly flat white ceiling, if you want it.

Menu:
Chili
Cornbread
Apple cobbler
Thats the basics, will try to have a pot of something for those who don't like chili.

Figure so far on 12 to 16 people from what I have seen on here. Please let me know if my numbers are badly off.

Longshot

Susan, you should hear from Thor shortly with a tentative head count. I am making Cochinita with tortillas to compliment the chili and account for any extra mouths. We should have it covered pretty well.

Thanks for helping out, see you this weekend.

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Greg in MO

So when/where are we meeting?  At the DAR Saturday morning?  KR's/DAR Friday night?  Just trying to do some planning...

Greg

Longshot

Greg,

Don't rightly know...

If you need a warm place, you know my door's open. Play it by ear as to where we are Fri. nite, prob. the range. Now that we have a warm place there.

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

EEL

Greg,
My cell works both at the range and at Kr's.  Give it a try.  Promise to have it on  >:D

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Cookie Lady

I'm going to be doing some baking - any requests? Looking forward to seeing you all!

CL

Thor's Hammer

I would say the guess of 12-16 is about right, if not, we all get to eat more ;D

If you have some flat white ceiling paint to offer, I will accept it. I have some, probably enough to get through the weekend, but not enough for the whole thing.

There will be a bonfire Saturday evening. Got to burn some brush piles.