News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Finally broke 210 in practice!

Started by jmcglash, October 25, 2010, 10:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcglash

My son and I went out to the range for a few hours yesterday and I was finally able to brake 210.

I was forced to admit progressive eye glasses just were not working for me on any stage other than stage 1 standing where I can shift my head around more. And without the glasses the astigmatism just blurs out the sights with the target just workable at 25m.
That added to the amazon gift card I was given and now my 10/22 is no longer a LTR. It is now an old goat spotter sporting a BSA sweet 22.
I have to say actually having the target and cross hair in focus with is great even at 3x.

One hurdle down, one to go. I so need to get to more Appleseeds. I think the dangerous old men is not most surprising part and I really like the way the material is presented. Granted I have only heard one rendition of the three strikes but BigH and the team did a great job!

I look forward to seeing folks again soon and seeing if I can shoot a real 210.

Jim
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."
~  Lord Robert Baden-Powell

Xeyed

Congratulations.

Breaking 210 in practice is a great step in the journey.

Don't feel bad about the scope it took me a few Appleseed's to realize that my old eyes were not compatible with iron sights. And figure out the correct solution.

Keep practicing, once you have it down in practice, have someone time you and add the mag changes.

For extra realism you can have someone fire next to you with a center fire rifle. Good practice for the rifleman's bubble.

Now that you broke the 210 barrier the next one will be easier.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Thor's Hammer

My experience last week at the Osage RBC:
1. Sight Alignment: Check
2. Sight Picture: Something doesn't look right.....
3. Respiratory Pause: Needed that one
4A. Focus your eye on the front sight: Where did my sheet of squares go???!!!!!!
4B. Focus your mind on keeping the front sight on target: I tried, but couldn't find the target. Who painted my entire sheet of squares off-white?
5. Squeeze the trigger: Didn't happen

I think I have hit the wall on my eyesight. My next step was to remount the scope and live with the fact that if the eye doc can't help me, I have only the choice of the scope. Don't feel bad about the optics, it is a fact of life for us.

Good job on the 210. Try to get someone to time you. Try to get a friend to shoot alongside you so you can get used to it happening. Wanna make it fun, put em on your left side so you get covered with the empty brass ;D
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

jmcglash

I was using the Android Appleseed Timer app, very nice. If you have an android you have to install it and the Appleseed Score app. They rock!

Other than my son putting 1 round in my 3rd stage four D ( with better placement than my three  >:( ) I think I did OK. I'll see about posting a pic of the sheet when I get home.

I preloaded 6 magazines and ran the sheet as a Rapid AQT and I finished with a bit under 20 seconds on the timer.

As to center fire and hot brass, no thanks... my Appleseed I had a young man with an AK on my left. I had to take a half set left and close up ranks. Hot brass off the back is FAR BETTER than hot brass off your cheek! I have found that ear plugs and muffs together make for a nice bubble.  ;D

Jim
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."

jmcglash

OK here is the practice target. The others were not as nice and I still want to re-check the zero of the scope but is was good enough!

Jim