News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Corpus Christi, TX Oct. 16-17, 2010

Started by BDG, October 20, 2010, 06:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDG

Well this shoot turned out to be a good one. It was my first time as a Shoot Boss, so it was probably a good thing that we didn't have a large number of people on the Line!  ;D

Saturday we had 4 shooters, with 3 returning on Sunday. Two of Saturday's shooters were siblings of EyeQ, so there was already some familiarity, as his brother Hunter had previously shot an Appleseed before. His sister Autumn had not yet been to an Appleseed. As EyeQ has 7 siblings, we have some prime recruitment material for future IITs!!  ;) ;) ;)

Saturday started off well in the south Texas heat. We went through safety briefings and all the usual. We fired a few extra squares on Saturday and ran an NPOA star drill. The shooters had various levels of experience and enjoyed the First Strike provided by Baminal.

Sunday followed up with some warm up squares and mag change drills before going into AQTs. Second and Third Strike were told under the 10x10 shade canopy I brought, which seemed to be a hit with everyone. Imagine that! I ran Baminal and EyeQ through most everything so they could get some more experience and had them run the Line for 2 AQTs each. Getting the Command Voice is necessary. :) I think they both enjoyed it.

I didn't take nearly half as many pics as I usually do because I was always reading COF or thinking of what was next. :)

Hunter was knocking on the Rifleman's door for a while, and I think with another Appleseed he will score it. Looking forward to another one you guys. Thanks to Baminal for coming down, and Josiah for helping as well.

Damian getting set up.

Hunter ready to go.

Autumn trying out kneeling position.

good chicken wing

Downrange

Looking downrange in Prone

The rest of the photo set is available at http://kevinramsey.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=23325
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

Baminal

It went so well I never would have guessed that it was BDG's first as shoot boss.  Much appreciation for making it look easy :bow: :bow: :bow:

I think EyeQ and his siblings are going to end up handling a range all thier own, I wonder what the record is for the most Instructors in one family?

Our youngest shooter came with zero experience and a rifle too big, but his grandfather said that he wanted him to learn the right way from people who know what they are doing.  Doesn't that sound a bit like "who know what they are about"?  And while Damien struggled with learning so much at one time, I think he was the first to have the 'safe rifle' steps down in his head and in practice. O0

The event was well worth the 5 hour trip down, but I think I'll keep the next one in November much closer to home.
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

EyeQ

Well I'm a bit late(computer) but, we had a great time at this shoot in CRP!

I was on light duty this Appleseed because of a shoulder injury, but Kevin kept me busy with knocking the rust off of my verbal instruction, helping diagnose targets, and getting the mags loaded for our youngest shooter who was having some trouble.  BDG did an excellent job as shootboss making things run smoothly and keeping the time monkey under control.   :---  It was also a pleasure to work with you Baminal and hear you tell the first strike of the match.  You did a great Job!  O0

I'm hoping to work more on trying to promote Appleseed with the gunshops and word of mouth for our next shoot.   Several of the shooters offered to help with this and I'll be getting in touch with them as soon as we get another date on the calender for CRP.  Also met several folks at the gunshow this past weekend who where very interested in the program. 

Thanks to all the shooters who showed up this past week and to Kevin and Brett for coming all the way from Pharr and College station to help out!

Josiah
I can see the the bullet impacts on your target and so can you, but can you understand what they are telling you?  Targets talk, but it takes EyeQ to understand what they are saying.  Appleseed taught it to me and now I want to teach it to you.

Davilla 11/09!
Davilla 11/10!

BDG

thanks again guys, and hope you enjoy the pics. I don't think I got any of Jeff in there though. How did that happen? Doh!
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!