News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

great day with steel n wood

Started by M14NG, October 20, 2010, 12:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M14NG

Went out to TacPro http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/ Sunday to see if I could qualify on their 1000 yard range, applying what Iv learned @ AS.
The weather; 68 deg, very low humidity, wind at our 6 10-15 and mostly cloudy.
The target; 24" steel plate.
The rifle and load; 08 SAI "loaded" M1A in a non-bedded used Freds Big Walnut stock and a hooded rear sight. My hand loads are 175 SMK in New Nosler brass, IMR4895 @ 41.5 and 2.800 COL. I was shooting prone w/mat, jacket, hoodie, sling, glove and clear safety glasses (no bi-pod).

The other four shooters came with heavily scoped AIs in 243 and 338 and one with a AI in 308. I was the loan shooter with a M1A and just irons  ???

We had to shoot a 3 moa or less @ 100 to start and since we all did that with no problem we went right on to 1k.

I came up 33 from my 200 yrd zero (40 total) keeping my wind @ zero, was instructed to send it when ready, re-checked my NPOA (tiny white spec on the top of my front post) and squeezed.

Since the wind was at our six we couldn't hear the hits however misses were validated by splashes of dirt and hits could be seen as black-splats on the white painted plate.

My first shot was a hit  ;D I sent three more which all went just high (shadows and light kept shifting), dialed two clicks back down and got two more hits.

Me and the other 308 shooter stayed after it, after the qualification session was done, and put more lead on that plate  :~

Thank you Appleseed  ^:)^
Criss

spitstickler

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

starfox

AWESOME!!!  ^:)^ 

It's always great to get the validation that 25m training directly applies to known distance with the addition of comeups and doping the wind.

Way to show those scopers that optics are optional to reliably hit targets at distance!   :---  (just kidding, scopes are great too)

By chance did you tell them about Appleseed?  Tacpro was location for the first ever Texas Appleseed, but cost has been a factor in going back.  Doublell and I go out there on occasion to practice High Power shooting and prone.  I used to be a member 10 years ago when they were first getting established.  Would be great to have them as a range again.

But once again, that's some AWESOME  2-3 MOA shooting.  Congrats!!!

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

M14NG

yes Starfox I did (talk about AS) and proudly displayed my AS patches on my shooting jacket too  O0
Criss

Texas Rifleman

OK Criss. Nice report. Way to go with the M1A and irons.
Look forward to seeing you soon and flinging some lead. (as Big John calls it :))
...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09