News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Cold weather survival

Started by bedford, October 19, 2010, 08:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedford

We are planning an Appleseed hare in Niagara January 15th/16th. Does anyone here have any experience on cold weather survival that could be taught to the class?  It would be a neat thing to add.

Thanks

nyrasgt

Have three resources to recommend, besides the obvious print and electronic sources...
  On the forum, CSHR, Spartan, and I (and there are probably lots of other EMS professionals, too) can offer the relatively obvious advice, re dressing in layers, wear, hat, keep dry (esp hands,feet, and head), avoid cotton, etc...
   My sense is that there will be several levels of knowledge in this area, relative to whether the student will be a participant or an instructor (what to look for in cold - just like in heat)...knowledge of wind chill, hyperthermia, etc...
  A start...expect Plan B is to find an indoor range...or do both!
Excelsior,
madMark
NYS EMT/BLS Instructor
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

dragonfly

Just pretend your ice fishing  :cool2: and don't eat the yellow snow  %)  ^:)^

Some winterseed survival skill's sounds like fun  O0 .

Will see what we can come up with.

Do you have a snow date in mind? We probably should plan for it.

D-fly  @)
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

bedford

Quote from: dragonfly on October 19, 2010, 11:59:15 AM

D-fly  @)

I suppose we wouldn't have time for more than the basics w/o having to trim of the standard AS course.

D-Fly: Do you mean that we should try and and have it when it is snowing, or have a second date in case of bad weather? In my opinion, the worse the weather the better.... ~~:) 

dragonfly

I was thinking practically, and for safety, it would be smart to have a snow date in case we have to postpone the shoot, because of weather. You will have shooter's, and instructors traveling to think about.

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Garand69

Quote from: bedford on October 19, 2010, 06:32:25 PM
Quote from: dragonfly on October 19, 2010, 11:59:15 AM

D-fly  @)
O0

And I'll add to D-Fly's reccomendations......

#1, Don't get wet

#2, Hydrate!!!
I suppose we wouldn't have time for more than the basics w/o having to trim of the standard AS course.

D-Fly: Do you mean that we should try and and have it when it is snowing, or have a second date in case of bad weather? In my opinion, the worse the weather the better.... ~~:) 
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Old Glory!

Quote from: bedford on October 19, 2010, 06:32:25 PM
In my opinion, the worse the weather the better.... ~~:) 

There is something about that statement that makes me smile.    :D
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

CSHR

Shades of Frank Zappa......... ^:)^

The two sites listed below are good resources as is 'The Wilderness Medical Society' but they want you to take a class and pay $$$$$

I like this one better
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/cold.htm

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chp15.php

I do a fair amount of running/jogging, in all types of weather. The key is to plan. I know I'm out in the blowing snow for an hour run, I'm hydrated, I dress in wicking/absorbing layers with a resistant shell, cover as much of me as I can and go for it. Now if you're laying in it, aka AS day, plan for more layers as you're not making heat...still hydrate and eat, get out of the wind during the talks, 
cover everything  :P  etc.

Hope it helps. Let me know(pm me) if you'd care for more from me.

Color me envious,

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

bedford

Quote from: dragonfly on October 19, 2010, 07:41:43 PM
I was thinking practically, and for safety, it would be smart to have a snow date in case we have to postpone the shoot, because of weather. You will have shooter's, and instructors traveling to think about.

D-fly

Snow date: July? Just kidding....traveling in the snow or ice does pose the biggest risk to instructors or students and we need to plan for it.

I think anyone who would go to this shoot already knows the basics, but it would be a good idea to have them (and snow date) listed on flyers and on our site.

I have a lead on someone here in the U.P. who is a paramedic/firefighter/search and rescue, etc. but he hasn't gotten back to me yet if he could add something useful (that we don't already all know) in an hour or less.