News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gun show AAR

Started by Mudcat, October 18, 2010, 08:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

Thought I would put this up to let everyone know how things went.

Louisville National Gun Day gun show Oct. 16-17

Workers Saturday Mudcat and Kentucky Jam
            Sunday Mudcat and Biogranny (ILL)
Booth
8' table with red table cloth, Appleseed Banner at 10" off of floor by a clamp on holder on top of table.
Brown Bess Replica with bayonet, CMP Garand and Ruger 10/22 LTR.
AQT target with instructions times and distance written on it.
Swat and Dillon reprints, national trifold fliers and regional schedules.
2 Sheets of photos from previous shoots in KY.

Very easy to get signed up promoter was very nice and helpful staff. Table cost was $65 we could only have 2 workers with 1 table. If we wanted another button it was an extra $25.
Saturday crowd was slow and light. This show is usually packed and the vendors were complaining about light turnout. Still we made several contacts and met lots of people. Some very interested and others that "already knew how to shoot"  ++) When we showed them the target there was then some hesitation from them. We got to mean Jon L and his family as they are the ones who got us the Ashland shoot set up. It was great to get to meet him. I am looking forward to going to the shoot. The CMP garand went over well and we had several people stop by to look and try to buy and ask how they could get one. We had a sign on it that read "ask me how to buy a rifle like this for $595".

Sunday was even slower and we found out why. Evidently there were 3 big gun events going on I guess Mt. Sterling court days where the small town goes from 3000 people to over 30,000 with people coming to shop. Also it was Preston days with a similar deal. So now I guess we need to research this out a little more next time. at lunch on Sunday Senate candidate Rand Paul came by to receive the Gun Owners of America endorsement. This brought several shoppers out. But still Sunday was very slow with most of the venders being packed up and leaving by 1:00pm. But we do now have a lead on a new shoot venue in Edmonson KY. The land owner is very excited and while the range is not yet complete it will be a nice venue for next spring it looks like.

All in all it was a good weekend even though it could have been better in our eyes. However I do look at it like since there were now crowds we had ample time to talk with people and try to pique their interest.

We may have to do another gun show towards the spring before Appleseed gets going full speed next year. I believe this show will help out our 3 shoots this weekend and our next 3 shoots on the schedule remaining this year.

We gave out about 200 schedules and fliers. A few Red Coat targets to kids and ones who asked for them.

Thanks to those that made it and maybe next time for those that could not come out.  O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

TaosGlock

I like your idea of a 22 LTR on the table. I may add a couple more and use the old saw, "any rifle will do if you will"... with some targets of course.
I like the CMP rifle idea too
We have a gun show in a couple weeks.
We get our tables for free as we are 501c3. We talked to the promoter in LC and sold him on the program and it was a done deal.
Remember, once they shoot, get hooked, they buy. A win for all. I tell the promoters something along those lines.
He calls us now to remind us, as we are a good draw with our program.
Gun shows these days are partly flea market affairs and they need firearms related stuff.
Other shows they give us a half price table. Many will waive the cost.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

colycat

Good job on the gun shows O0  We have had pretty good response at the few shows we have done.

I have found out that when working a show, its just that.  Its working.  If you sit there and say nothing, people will look and keep walking.  Being pro active, with a question like, " have you ever heard of Appleseed?"  People always open up and will talk with you.  Gun people are usually pretty nice, especially when they find out we are not selling anything and are all volunteers.

Only problem is getting help to man the table !@#)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

son of liberty

Sounds like a great time, sorry I couldn't come out. It was opening day of muzzle loading season to so I figured turn out wouldnt be what it could have been.

nyrasgt

Besides the CMP rifles at gun shows (which work just like magnets, drawing people to the AS table), another good idea is to request, from the CMP, a carton of their catalogs to distribute.  They help show folks what is available from the CMP and include prices and conditions.
     The CMP can be emailed, requesting their catalogs.  Believe they are presently being sent out of their Ohio venue rather than Anniston.  I have also made a practice of giving out CMP catalogs @ Appleseeds, after showing attendees CMP copies of Garand, M1 carbine, M1903A1 Springfield, and Bushmaster AR15.
    As my late father used to say, "Eye appeal is buy appeal."
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Mudcat

I took some CMP catalogs with me on Sunday. I forgot them on Saturday. #) Yes people will not stop if you do not stop them, you must be proactive. 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington