News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton NY December 11-12 2010

Started by B9, October 17, 2010, 08:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

VietVet

Quote from: B9 on October 17, 2010, 08:52:04 PM
Calverton has become the place to be.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10175.msg143707;topicseen#msg143707

Our Shoot for Oct 23rd & 24th has now Sold Out.
Now we begin to recruit shooters for this December event.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

SunnyAM

Could one of the instructors contact me?

VietVet

Quote from: sunnyam on November 29, 2010, 07:11:39 PM
Could one of the instructors contact me?

I understand you are looking for a loaner Rifle to use at the Calverton, NY December Event.
Please contact me via PM with further info, I'm sure we can work something out.

V V.

(PM also sent to sunnyam).
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

BBQChris

I initially posted this info on the Long Island Firearms forum.. For those that dont post there, here you go...

I started a new thread because I take food very seriously. I'm bringing my "Alabama" grill to the December Appleseed. First, a little history on this grill. It is named after its creator, Alabama Joe. Alabama is portly southern gentleman with a welder. He can often be found working inside a converted cargo container just off the property of JFK airport.  If compensated accordingly he will convert a 55 gallon steel drum into a high capacity charcoal grill. The company I work for owns 4 of these that we use for company outings. I keep one at my house for safe keeping when not in use for work functions. I've made several modifications including a cutout to attach a smoke box, and a thermometer.

In the past we've had some remarkable achievements using this grill. This includes the smoking of the worlds most delicious brisket (as judged by myself and Big Old Mr. Knish), countless racks of ribs, pork shoulders, chickens and assorted sausages. One time we smoked an entire suckling pig. Unfortunately we became so inebriated during the 13+ hour process that we got distracted and let the coals get too cold. We ended up savagely dismembering the carcass and destroying most of the animal in a fit of drunken rage. The time constraints of Appleseed as well as the prohibition of alcohol at shooting events should prevent such a disaster from occurring again. 

I'll be at Appleseed both days and will be bringing the grill, a bunch of coal, a serving table and some cooking utensils. I'm the guy that brings all the green canopies as well, so in the event of inclement weather we will have some protection. Plan on bringing something to grill for yourself or your group. I'll make sure that the grill is hot throughout lunch and the rest of the afternoon if needed. I'd suggest keeping it simple. Burgers, dogs, sausage, etc. If you're a first timer, lunch is usually accompanied by a revolutionary war story, so it's best to get your food ready fairly quickly. If this goes over well ill continue to bring it to future Appleseeds.

Here is a picture of three of these grills in action at a company picnic some time ago.