News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How to register for Adaptive Appleseed

Started by desertrat144, October 12, 2010, 12:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertrat144

To everyone wondering how to register for Adaptive Appleseed, or as a husband of a deployed wife, here's the Official method to use:

"Just register on eventbrite as a free woman/youth under 21/military. When you get to the Appeseed, show the relevant documentation at the registration desk."

Updated 10/11/10.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Moylan

Hello,

A new friend of mine runs a ministry that does a lot of work with disabled kids.  This man is a former Marine (OK, I know there's no such thing as an ex-Marine, but what I mean is that he's not currently still in the service), and he's very interested in helping kids--all kids--get access to the great outdoors.  He's rigging up a pontoon boat so he can get wheelchairs on it and take kids out for a day fishing on the lake.  Stuff like that.  Great guy.  I think he'd be excited about Appleseed, and I was just about to shoot him an email to introduce him to the program, but then it occurred to me that I'm not 100% sure I understand the policy on adaptive Appleseed.  So I just wanted to make sure.  I'm looking at the new manual, etc, and it appears to me that people who satisfy the conditions set by the ADA for disability may register to attend Appleseeds at no cost.  Is that still correct? 

I'm sorry to be confused about this, because I'm pretty sure it's all spelled out clearly in the materials, but I just want to make double sure I'm right about it before I pass along information to someone else.  Thank you!
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

scuzzy

Quote from: Moylan on June 02, 2014, 05:26:42 PM
Hello,

A new friend of mine runs a ministry that does a lot of work with disabled kids.  This man is a former Marine (OK, I know there's no such thing as an ex-Marine, but what I mean is that he's not currently still in the service), and he's very interested in helping kids--all kids--get access to the great outdoors.  He's rigging up a pontoon boat so he can get wheelchairs on it and take kids out for a day fishing on the lake.  Stuff like that.  Great guy.  I think he'd be excited about Appleseed, and I was just about to shoot him an email to introduce him to the program, but then it occurred to me that I'm not 100% sure I understand the policy on adaptive Appleseed.  So I just wanted to make sure.  I'm looking at the new manual, etc, and it appears to me that people who satisfy the conditions set by the ADA for disability may register to attend Appleseeds at no cost.  Is that still correct? 

I'm sorry to be confused about this, because I'm pretty sure it's all spelled out clearly in the materials, but I just want to make double sure I'm right about it before I pass along information to someone else.  Thank you!

If he has a VA Card that's good enough. If not have him send an email to kfoster@projectappleseed.net and I'll get him a pass. Somebody like that surely needs to get out to an event. Sounds like a really good guy especially with all the volunteer work.

And yeah - no Ex-Marines - we were just kidding a new IIT ex grunt, I mean former, about that last weekend - they are all Former Marines. Just ask them.  ;D
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Moylan

Thanks!  My bad on the first post--I didn't explain myself very well.  My friend is not disabled at all, but he's running a program right now with about 180 kids involved, maybe 1/4 of whom are disabled.  I think if he got behind Appleseed and advocated it to the parents in his program, he could get a bunch of people on the line, and I think it might help him get more if the special needs kids could come for free.  That was why I was asking.  I don't want him to tell parents their kids can come for free, and then have it turn out they have to pay. 
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

scuzzy

Quote from: Moylan on June 02, 2014, 08:44:01 PM
Thanks!  My bad on the first post--I didn't explain myself very well.  My friend is not disabled at all, but he's running a program right now with about 180 kids involved, maybe 1/4 of whom are disabled.  I think if he got behind Appleseed and advocated it to the parents in his program, he could get a bunch of people on the line, and I think it might help him get more if the special needs kids could come for free.  That was why I was asking.  I don't want him to tell parents their kids can come for free, and then have it turn out they have to pay.

Have him email me - we'll get something going.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Moylan

Thanks!  Will do, when we get to that point.

--GK Chesterton

--also GK Chesterton