News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How did we all get here in the first place?

Started by B9, October 11, 2010, 02:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B9

Tell us how you got involved in Appleseed. While this type of thread can be seen as off topic, it could also help reinspire our mission.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Another D.O.M.

Hmmm.  37 views and no takers.  You all can't be that shy...

Well, I'll get this rolling by posting a link to my personal My Appleseed Trail story from January of this year - no sense wasting server space duplicating what's already written (and server space is costly folks!).

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=11298.msg93334#msg93334

A lot has happened between January and now.  I've worked a lot of shoots, driven a lot of miles, met a lot of great people.  Some things have changed while others have remained the same.  My wife has been to five shoots with me now; and my daughter attended her first on the one year anniversary of my first at Saratoga Springs.  She can't wait for the next one.

Appleseed works.  It works on many different levels to achieve one simple overall goal - reminding The People that this country is theirs:  theirs to enjoy, theirs to preserve for their posterity, and theirs to manage as they see fit by becoming involved in their government.

Now I'm going to let some of you folks have a run at this.  Don't be bashful, just write down what brought you to Appleseed, what you thought of it and why you've come along on this fantastic ride.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

boltgun71

When I attended my first Appleseed back in March of 2008, my primary goal was to see if I could achieve the magical 210 on the AQT and qualify as a Rifleman.  I had been a reader of Fred's for years, pre-Appleseed program, and he always preached about the AQT and its difficulty.  So my first goal was to see how I could measure up, see if I was a Rifleman by the AQT's standards.  The first AQT score I ever fired was a 226, so goal done and accomplished.  Now what? 

Well I discovered right away at my first Appleseed the quality of people that taught and attended an Appleseed.  I found myself surrounded by fellow Americans that were passionate about shooting and teaching others to shoot well, passionate about our history and freedoms we all share as Americans, people that took time out of their schedule to help others, whether it was to shoot well or become a better citizen.  These were the type of people I wanted to be around and help, the people I consider true friends and Americans.  I'm a military guy that had recently returned from a deployment overseas at that first Appleseed and the people I met at Appleseed, both shooters and instructors alike, watching them exercise their freedoms, help their fellow Americans, and trying to get people to appreciate their freedoms and the sacrifice it took to get them and to keep them, they reminded and assured me that everything our military is doing is worth it and not taken for granted.  Everyone was friendly and patriotic and I definitely enjoyed being around them and believed in the mission of Appleseed so it was obvious my next goal was to become an instructor and help the program.  I enjoy shooting, especially teaching others to shoot well and I enjoy spending time with quality Americans, I have yet to find anywhere else other than Appleseed where I can accomplish this.  I enjoy being a team player and contributing to something worthwhile, and what can be more worthwhile than saving our beloved country?  By the end of my second Appleseed I was signed up as an IIT and helping to RSO the line.

Now over 2 years later I am a Senior Instructor and Military Liaison for the Project Appleseed.  The whole program and everything it teaches from marksmanship, to history, to freedom, and just what it means to be an American means an awful lot to me.  The friends I have made in the Appleseed program are what I can certainly consider to be some of my best and truest friends, and overall just great Americans at that.  The people I have helped on the line at shoots, the simple thank-you's from them, or the smiles from score improvements on the AQT are more than enough thanks for me.  I will do what I can when I can for this program. 

Do I think Appleseed alone is the solution to saving this nation?  No, but it's certainly a step in the right direction (and so many don't even take that first step), it's positive, and fits me very well.  I will help out as much as I can, when I can, and try to influence others to do the same. 

Earl

I wanted to shoot my rifles better, and thought that the name, Revolutionary War Veterans Association, was too cool to pass up an opportunity to join, so I sent in my money, got a brown t-shirt and targets and papers to read and study from Fred. I found the address somewhere but can't remember where. The original membership card was yellow and I was an Associate category, Wm Earl Dungey, expiration date was to be 7-06, and the initials were JD. Needless to say I found no Appleseeds here in Washington State then, sigh. So I didn't shoot my rifle better, although I did shoot them all at the local military range. :'(

Well, I didn't quit dreaming, and I wanted an M1 Garand, and RWVA is one of those orgainizations that CMP is looking for while the NRA isn't (I am a Life Member of the NRA), so I joined again in 2008, sending in a check number 2131 for a hundred and fifty dollars, with a letter instructing that the payment was for the two day clinic at Yakima, $70, and a five year membership, $80 (did I mention I am cheap?). I got back a white membership card, Associate Member with blue logo and lettering, Wm Dungey, printed in red ink (don't use red ink for names of Asians - that is how they pronounced your execution) and an expiration date of 10.09 (which should have been 10.13 - but no one has carded me, nor replaced the card when I asked). Same initials JD.  ::)

Then I went to Yakima/Moxee and ran into Wheeler 44 and two days of learning that I know very little, shot okay but not Rifleman. My biggest challenges were feeding the single shot target rifle with some kind of speed. Then learning I really knew nothing about the M1 - watching old war movies never is enough. Still great time and I liked the stories of the revolutionary war - Nate beside me was using an AR and earned his Rifleman Patch, and showed me if one were ready and serious enough about it I could, too. He was in the military and about to go back overseas. I met Wade, and his shooting jacket with the Rifleman patch was awesome, especially as badly as I was doing. I got rid of early the elbow and knee pads (waste of money and time), got a regular rollout shooting mat, learned more about my M1 and prepared for an IBC in Woodland Washington to learn about teaching the Appleseed way. I was convinced after my first Appleseed that this was the kind of shooting program, and history lesson I wanted to be part of and continue. So Junior Birdman and Dragonwood were there to teach and explain and examine us, Wade's DAR had an Appleseed for us to IIT at and suddenly I was an IIT3, and hardly ever got to shoot again. Sigh. So I joined a Rifle Club in the local area, to shoot whenever I like, whatever I like as I get older and crankier. ^-^

The following is from my brief Bio on my blog "Just the Library Keeper" http://wmearl-justthelibrarykeeper.blogspot.com/

My name is Earl, and it is my handle on the Appleseed forum. I started shooting in Junior High School Rifle Club, shooting .22 target rifles, with slings and jackets on the mats in the high school gym, coached by the American History teacher, who was also coach of the High School Rifle Team. I was a paratrooper and a Drill Sergeant and taught military shooting and tactics. I am now a former prison library keeper in Washington. My first Appleseed was in Yakima in October of 2008, I shot Rifleman on February 21st of 2009. After five Appleseeds, an Instructor Boot Camp, and with Fred's personal guidance I became a red hat RWVA Instructor, two Appleseeds later I get to be a Shoot Boss, always working on the seventh step of making the shot. I have my NRA Rifle Instructor Certification and Home Firearm Safety Course Instructor. I am working to bring back Junior High Rifle clubs everywhere... will you help? :sos:

I meet the most interesting people as I go from Appleseed to Appleseed, I rode a little across the country and met more while there and they are all mentioned in AARs on the side panel of my blog, dates and places. It has been a good time - still haven't taught one person with the National Rifle Association, but quite a few with the Revolutionary War Veterans Association - and they will know who I am by my associates. I am very proud to know y'all, hope I don't disappoint. 8)
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

B9

P2006 and prior.... I was convinced it was gone. Was not a bunker boy. Only wanted to make it long enough to see how it went down. Just curious.

I heard of a man running for POTUS. I looked into it and found him talking of the Constitution. Talking of what the GOV does not have the authority to do. What he did NOT want to do as POTUS. That things could turn around but it would take some doing. It would take some personal responsibly and commitment. I joined in campaigning for this idea and joined an internet group that worked (mostly) for that idea.
In that group I saw people with names like Voortrekker, AZRedhawk, TruckinMike and others that sounded like they would "think" before commenting on posts. That campaign was very successful in awakening many people to the founders vision. Maybe more so than if there had been a victory of the main goal. Not making that goal made me look for other avenues. Nothing seemed right, nothing show promise of success.

It may have been a TruckinMike post that led me to RWVA. I never heard of Fred, never read SGN, never owned a rifle. But the idea was so clever and so simple it had to have something else behind it. I read some more and it did not take long for me to see I had to be a part of it.
My first post was that I was here and wanted to help. The reply from Fred was quick. "You can use a computer, your grammar is OK and your American, right?" Not exact but close. Next was Funfaler (FF)... call me at this number....
Soon I was sending cold call emails to people in "gun" related fields and posting on "gun" forums about shoots coming up in far away states. Working with people with names like PHenry and PuffTMD. FF says he is starting a new thing called State Coordinators. He never asked if I wanted to be one just listed me down as SC for NY and PA.

I go to my first Appleseed. Been selling the program for months and did not know what exactly happened at an AS. Met Nickle, kDan, Atticus, Imker, KodyJaret. That started to really set the hook. I wanted to work with people like them. Went to Throop NY and met Scout. Bigger than life that man seemed and still does to me. Near the end of the weekend Scout says "You need to start getting stuff together to really push this program, I need your help" Not exact but close. I thought this guy needs me to help him? This guy probably eats barb wire for breakfast and he needs me to help him? That's when the connection of depending on and working with an individual helps the whole program started to hit me. Three man teams and big mean dogs. It works.

I plugged along never really stopping to improve my shooting. Just worried about getting shoots set up and getting shooters on the line. When I went to shoots I worried about what the other shooters were having trouble with. VAshooter tells me at Allemans PA "You need to stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and work on your own shooting." Good advise and it worked. Because it is not about the shooting but is about the discipline needed to shoot well.

A couple of hats later NY is the better. Not because of me but because of the people we have found along the way. People that were spread out not knowing there were others like them. Others with the heart and mind of a Rifleman.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

sgtrock

My first Appleseed at my home range at Burlington Flats,NY 10-11 OCT 2009,, With a couple of good friends of mine, that I shoot with often, we could not wait to see this event start, we knew about it a couple of months ahead of time, so we did some homework on rifle modifications,, i.e. tech sights is all I done with mine at that time, no bolt release or extended mag release,,, put a sling on it, zeroed it good and waited,,, With much excitement amongst us,, the day drew near, I was at the club on Friday to see that Instructors were welcomed to our club and get them settled in as much as they needed,,,
    When I saw a license plate from West By God Virginia pull in I thought wow these guys are serious and this is gonna be good,,, My friends and I have been shooting for many years, 2 of us in the service and in highpower competition on a very local level league,,, never the less we knew that we could shoot OK, I have been hunting at that time for 30yrs, chucks, deer, fox, yotes,squirrels what have you,,, But as I was taught by my Father,,, if you want to learn,,, keep your mouth shut and ears open, but don't hesitate to ask questions that need to be asked,, My friends M1Tanker and Xena and I said to one another,,, You Know,,, When We Do This,,, We Have To Think As If We Have Never Shot A Rifle Before,,, Other Wise We Are Screwed Before We Start, we all agreed to this mind set,,,
    And the day started off nice,,, cold and rainy, freezing rain, wind,,, I was having a ball,,, then we shot the Redcoat,,, we looked at each other and said,,, we got some learnin to do,,, We settled in for the classes they did, and got started on squares,,, what an improvement right out of the gate,,, I am trying at this time to visualize this in basic training some 33 yrs before but I could not bring the details to the surface,,, that these guys were teaching us, my friend M1Tanker is half my age and he said he was never taught this either,,, and I thought I was old school,,,
    But as we got going it was fun,,, all the people on the line were from our little community, there was a Father and Son team there from Penn, and I believe one other from a distant place,,, don't remember,,,,, Well we did all kinds of drills that morning and heard history that I did not know existed, after lunch we got back to it with more instruction and then they came out with this target they called the AQT, we were told and showed how to shoot it,,, it was a stage x stage,,, I wear prescription glasses,, I had to take these off to shoot the 10/22 because in the prone position I can't focus on the front sight,, it is too close,,, and is blurry,,, so I wore safety glasses (plain yellow lenses) that helped on the front sight but those itty bitty targets are some distorted down range,,, but with all the instruction on NPOA and Focus on the front sight, we got the command to fire,,, 10 shots 2 mins standing,,, prep 2 and 8 twice more,,, prep 10, 5 mins,,, when we were told to go down range and stand by your targets,,,, on the way down I was thinking, man those targets were some blurry,,, my eyes were watering,, glasses were wet, I thought this might not look to good,,, plus I had a rifle malfunction that cause me some time in one of the stages, that I don't remember which one,,, but anyway,, we get to the targets and I was surprised to see that  most all my shots were in the black
     I will never forget when B9,,, one of my first instructors in Appleseed said,,, that was a nice target, I said,,,really,,, he said yes,, He'd seen a lot of them by this point in time in his career in Appleseed, I said,,, cool, He requested to have my target so I gave it to him, and the instructors took it away, to score it, the next thing I knew, he called me out in front of the group to give me a Rifleman Patch on my first Aqt,,, wow that was cool, lets shoot some more is all I remember thinking,,, I was surprised to find out that I scored a 234 on my first target,,, But I also remember That it could be short lived, and it was, I never shot better than that score for the rest of the weekend, but I did do well on a few more that weekend,,,
     My buddy M1Tanker also shot a Rifleman Score that weekend,,, so when we found out that we could become instructors if we did another shoot and well,,, we signed up for the very next shoot that month,,, and it was a doosey,,, 30-40mph -sustained winds with 55mph gusts in heavy down pouring rain,,, again  we shot well, did not beat my first score, but that was OK, we were on a range that was deluged, we kept saying to one another,, man,, what a good range day this is,,, I think the other people thought we were crazy or something, but we were offered the Orange Hat and I Proudly accepted it from B9,,,
    When I found out what was involved in being an instructor I knew that I wanted to do this,,, My next AS was an IBC at my home range, and it was a very in depth class room environment that I soon would not forget,, I did do a lot of home work prior to this event but not enough,,, and I soon found out that there was so much to learn in order to teach this the way it was laid out,,, so I hit the books hard again, and signed up for my first event at Calverton Long Island, NY,,, 6+ hr drive from here, 2 days after Xmas in 09,, less than 3 1/2 weeks after the IBC,,,  I went down alone, the others could not make it,,, So I get down there and was asked by kDan (The Shoot Boss) who was also one of the IBC instructors at my range for us,,, He said how would you like to shoot boss this event all day long, I said sure, no prep for that job position,,, but I guess I did well enough, and I felt very proud that he instilled that much confidence in me to do that,,, I am Proud to do what I am doing for this thing we Call Appleseed, for I do believe it is the best thing that I am involved with that is doing to most good for this country, I know I still have a lot learning to do, I know, I must not be stagnant, I need to be studying all the time for this,,, Because it is ever constantly changing with the tide,,,

Thank You for this thread,
ya I can get a little long winded,,,

sgtrock

PS,, I spent my 1st year anniversary in Appleseed at Massena,NY as a Shoot Boss,,, I never would have believed that a year ago,,, I would like to Thank all The Instructors that helped me along the way,,, you know who you are,,,

crak

Quote from: sgtrock on October 12, 2010, 08:42:16 PM
PS,, I spent my 1st year anniversary in Appleseed at Massena,NY as a Shoot Boss,,, I never would have believed that a year ago,,, I would like to Thank all The Instructors that helped me along the way,,, you know who you are,,,

And there was nowhere else we would've rather been!
Check your drama at the door.

sgtrock

Quote from: crak on October 12, 2010, 10:07:45 PM
Quote from: sgtrock on October 12, 2010, 08:42:16 PM

QuoteAnd there was nowhere else we would've rather been!
That is Ironic you say that, I thought that on my way home,,, Thanks crak

Spartan

It is still like a scene from "Field of Dreams",,,,"people dont even know why they come ,,,they just come."
That quiet still voice inside leading us to it. You just know it has to be done, so you do it.  Why do soldiers sacrifice their safety under fire to help their buddies?  Why did CPT Davis lead his men down to the North Bridge? Is it a calling? Are we answering the calling?  Is there some calling going out across our Nation?  Maybe it is a mystery.
"With your shield or on it"

Josey Wales

..It was the spring of 2009 and I was hungry. Hungry for something to really satisfy my love for our America. I was not looking for the same old rhetoric about Democratic vs Republican that old story is a joke to me, I have been an Independent since I could vote(18yrs old), and proud of it.. That's the Independent critical thinker thing I concur with.  I vote on issues, not partisan to a party, that's not me.. anyways back to the story....  I was fishing around on the internet wed brousing, typing in random things and Appleseed Project came up....Oh, whats this, save the Country?, Riflemen with Honor?, Heritage of our great Nation?.....
I liked it but I did not really get it, so I called the contact, NY State coordinator (B9) and just started  a conversation with him. Then I signed up for the New Bremen Shoot 6 hours away for my first event...I figured the father away from NY City the better the odds are of meeting good old fashion Country Men & Women like myself.. and I did........Nickle. Imker, The Blond & Brian, Nate and his dog from VT, B9.....I was shooting on the line with Gunville(his second shoot and he scored his Rifleman patch too)..I liked the experience and went home impressed and happy. gee maybe there is hope, afterall???....
..Went home signed up for a 5 year membership to support the program and for shoot #2 in Elbridge, NY.. Met Genmain, KodyJaret, Scout, Kdan... B9 and Imker were there again, and a few other campers I still talk to.. at the event I did not score Rifleman but was asked to help IIT RSO at the event coming up at Calverton Long Isaland..I knew the range and shot there before..I received a waver to work as RSO, it was explained to me they needed my help to run the shoot so I felt Honored to take the waver under those conditions..
..I eventually scored The Rifleman Patch, kept up my progress checks for IIT advancement and met lots of great people.....Sgt Stoner, M1Tanker & Xena, Crak, Spanner, VietVet, Gunville, Chainsaw, Big H, Sie, Stovepipe, Bravo Brad, Yankee Patriot, Northbridge Water, Mark Another D.O.M. 1, SgtMark 2, MadMark 3, Buzzworth, Hue, Ryan Saraspa,  just to mention a few...
..The journey has been inspirational and eyeopening to see people like me all over our great Nation doing something................Getting off that couch............Amen...
....................Strength & Honor.....................Josey Wales......................................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

dragonfly

Quote from: Krisker on October 12, 2010, 10:58:39 PM
My wonderful husband got me interested.  End of story.

Thats exactly what my wife tells folks  :cool2:  O0

D-fly Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: Krisker on October 12, 2010, 10:58:39 PMMy wonderful husband got me interested.  End of story.
Nope - beginning of story.  The end is unwritten; and what goes between now and the end can take us anywhere...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

gunville

Since the election I was stocking up on guns and ammo.

One day I saw a bumper sticker "If you can read this without a British accent..." - to this day I don't know whose car it was on...

As a history buff I had to find out who the RWVA was. Come to find out they had a mission that was right up my alley - saving the country.

I sent away for some targets & Fred's Guide. I spent some range time shooting QDAQT's, and had my scores into the 180's/190's. It was still winter so I hadn't gone to a shoot yet.

I also signed up on the forum, and ended up working on some promotion stuff - promoting the April 19th shoot in Throop.  I guess I did a pretty good job because the shoot got full and I hadn't even signed up yet.... (B9 got a kick out of that - the guy helping promote the shoot forgot to sign up for it...)  Instead I ended up at Harvard on Crack's line.

I was cocky going to Harvard, I figured I was shooting 190's, so I'd just pick up a couple of tricks and pick up my patch...

The history was great! Even heard it from Fred himself. The shooting part of the event was humbling. I swear I was getting worst as the weekend went by. Riding back home I realized I had ignored a lot of the instruction I was given - feeling it was good for other people, but doesn't apply to me.  I thought things through and came to the conclusion I had forgot to bring the most important thing - the teachable attitude.

I went back to the range applying what I remembered and what I had ignored and made progress - I was shooting in the 220's and even managed a 239, but all unofficial.  I also read Fischer.

The next shoot I got to was New Bremen.  I picked out a nice spot on the line and then, don't you know, some guy with a Queens accent sets up by me - I figure "a down-stater, there goes the neighborhood... I better put my name on my magazines and keep an eye on my ammo" ... the guy turned out to be OK (Josey Wales) - I also met B9 in person for the first time, Nickle, Imker, etc.

My second AS was better. I got my patch and took an orange hat. I also had some great discussions with folks that stirred the rifleman within.

But what I learned most was the importance of a teachable attitude.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

kDan

I looked around the punks were my friends and said to myself, "Those other guys got all the rifles."
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Johnnyappleseed

We had a family trip to knob creek for the machine gun shoot event. I had been reading Fred's column in Shotgun news for some time .

I decided to visit NC and see if I could meet Fred. We met and he asked if I brought a rifle and how many rds --- I said only about 600 -308s and then he invited me to the local range . I shot that weekend and fred asked if I was going to the AS -- the following sat.
I said I needed to get back to Ca. He said Texas was on the way ! only a week from today :o
I took him up and shot my 1st AS mingus tx 10-06
I made rifleman twice on Sun 213-216 with m14
Meeting folks in NC and Texas was  the most fun I ever had at shooting events! I met some great folks there and hope to see them again on the trail.
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

chop cor

my dad. im not sure how he got involved but he brought me to one in march of 2009 and now im an iit. thats about it so far

B9

Quote from: gunville on October 15, 2010, 01:03:40 AM
the shoot got full and I hadn't even signed up yet.... (B9 got a kick out of that - the guy helping promote the shoot forgot to sign up for it...)  

Queens accent sets up by me - I figure "a down-stater, there goes the neighborhood... I better put my name on my magazines and keep an eye on my ammo" ... the guy turned out to be OK (Josey Wales)

That was funny. What was it, a 6 hour drive to MA versus a half hour to Throop. ::)

I remember seeing the return address sticker on your rifle and thinking this guy probably has his name written on his boxers too. ;D

Medea Benjamin

vernic82

One day I woke up and said, "....boy I'd like to learn to shoot..." O0
"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?"
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

"Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man."
- The Dude

ramit

I've been shooting since my very early teens, but only have had the basic safety instructions.

In search for shooting activities that were going on in my area, I came across NYShooters.net.
They had a thread about an Appleseed shoot the summer of 2009 in my area , out on the Island of Long.
(looking back, it was a thread KDan had posted announcing the shoot, met a few others there that had learned about it the same way)

I also had been reading such great things about the Appleseed Shoots on the CMP's forum for a year before that.

So figured it was no risk signing up and checking it out. All reports from other members on the CMP forum said it was a MUST Do, if you can get to one.

So made the one last year, And it was GREAT... after telling my wife and daughter about it, my daughter said she wanted to try it.

So after 2 failed attempts to make another, my daughter and I finally made this past Sept's shoot, and she loved it, as much as I did the 1st and this my 2nd.

So we'll be back at this one coming up Oct 23, and I keep reminding my office I have a family event that weekend, leave me be, PLEASE.

GREAT information, VERY well run, GREAT people, VERY safe, and it's a family oriented activity that's pro-American heritage and founding ideas, how can one go wrong....
Just gotta get my wife to come out and try it, that would be the icing on the cake...

gunville

Quote from: B9 on October 15, 2010, 06:39:19 AM

I remember seeing the return address sticker on your rifle and thinking this guy probably has his name written on his boxers too. ;D

;D

B9 - you have your handle painted all over your rifles - does that mean you have "B9" stenciled on your boxers?

I figured there would be a dozen 10/22's and I wanted to make sure I left with mine! 

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

U.S.Cavalryman

I had this guy hounding me for nearly a year to go to an Appleseed.  He wanted me to go so bad, and felt Appleseed so important, he did all the leg work to set up the first shoot in New Breman, from South Carolina. The weekend finally arrived and I got to meet people like B9 and Kdan. Nickle was there as Shoot Boss. I got my Butt whooped by this thing call NPOA and by cheap ammo.
I felt Appleseed was good but couldn't see how good it was. As I worked with my Soldiers, I saw that the Appleseed techniques were solid and easier to teach, remember, and pass on. Then one chilly 17th of April, my soldiers and I demonstrated the standing and kneeling on a 2 way range in a town far from here.
The fact that my Soldiers said they felt more comfortable because of Appleseed made me a believer. I have been doing my best to teach what I can when I can. I continue to work on the History and the line commands.
I am also working on helping bring Appleseed to other people. I try to spread the word and 7th step, with the same results as everyone else. slow and steady. But there maybe a huge break through shortly. A small group of highly respected and well placed individuals are currently looking very hard at this program. More details soon.  
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

Spartan

"With your shield or on it"

The Mrs.

As I have already shared my story under "The Women of Appleseed....." I do not want to use up more server space by copying the whole thing over again, so here ya go....my story...shared in my very own words (those who know me, know I can get long winded at times  ;) )

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4577.msg135602#msg135602
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Josey Wales

The next shoot I got to was New Bremen.  I picked out a nice spot on the line and then, don't you know, some guy with a Queens accent sets up by me - I figure "a down-stater, there goes the neighborhood... I better put my name on my magazines and keep an eye on my ammo" ... the guy turned out to be OK (Josey Wales) - I also met B9 in person for the first time, Nickle, Imker, etc.

.......Just OK?, you better give me more props then that my Brother &)

gunville

I stand corrected - Josey is freaking awesome!

And he never cross-fired on my target either!

Quote from: Josey Wales on October 16, 2010, 09:04:37 AM

Odin

I have primarily have my brother, M1Tanker and Sgtrock to thank for this.  2009 was my first year shooting NRA highpowered at Burlington Flats(2nd year shooting all together) and I had no real idea of what I was doing with the positions or using a sling etc.  They mentioned that there was a marksmanship clinic coming in October and it would be good for me to attend.  I had LASIK surgery on both of my eyes that September and since the shoot was a month away I thought that would be enough time for my eyes to be fully recover.  I was wrong, my eyes played games with me all weekend so I didn't shoot 210 or that well at all.  Hard to shoot well when you see shadows/double vision and the front sight keeps changing on you, but I learned about the positions etc, the history was interesting and I had a good time.

I decided that for my next time, I'll wait until my eyes are fully recovered and built myself a 10/22 instead of using a bolt action rifle.  I negelected however to locktight the front sight.  Needless to say that at my next shoot in February at Albion the front sight tried to leave my rifle.  Figuring I wasn't going to shoot rifleman again, I decided to work on the other parts of shooting like my breathing, trigger pull, not blinking.

April came around and I was back at Burlington Flats with eyes fully recovered and a front sight firmly secured to the rifle.  Finally I shot 210, and when Sgtrock offered me the orange hat I took it.

What made me come back to three shoots was partly stubbornness, I was not about to admit defeat to the AQT.  What made me desire and accept the orange hat though was the camaraderie at the Appleseeds, the professionalism of the instructors, and the history.  Far too often in schools history is boiled down to just the dates and major events.  When you do that you loose the essence of what took place, and the sacrifices that were made.  You loose the meaning behind those events and with that your connection to those events.  It was great to see Appleseed bring that back.

The final reason why I'm with the program is that a handful of people have greatly helped me with my shooting (M1Tanker and Sgtrock especially).  I want to help others like they have helped me and Appleseed gives me the opportunity to do that.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

Josey Wales

Quote from: gunville on October 16, 2010, 05:36:39 PM
I stand corrected - Josey is freaking awesome!

And he never cross-fired on my target either!

Quote from: Josey Wales on October 16, 2010, 09:04:37 AM

..Thank You Brother Gunville, I knew you had a nice bone in your body somewhere :bow:..
..All kidding aside %) and on a serious note, it is a pleasure serving with you, you are a good man Gunville..
.....................Strength & Honor.......................Your Friend, Josey Wales....................................

RATTLESNAKE

I had heard of Appleseed before they were available on Long Island, I was interested but was unable to travel at that time, once I found out they were holding events on Long Island...and this should be credited to LIF, I decided to just show up on Sunday Sept 26,2010. I participated and was hooked, not only on the intruction and shooting but on the comradery as well. I went home determined to aquire a rifleman patch and help out. I ordered AQT's and GI slings, a auto bolt return and extended mag release. I practiced at Calverton at 50 yards, shooting only with no time limits. I returned October 23-24 and scored a hairline 210 on my final AQT on Sunday and Big Matt was happy to pour water from the North Bridge over my head. Kdan gave me an orange hat, I swore all my life as a bow hunter I would never wear blaze orange but I have found a new love for it. Thank you all for everything.
   One thing I must say is that I am a regular at Calverton and it should not have taken me as long as it did to hear that Appleseed was holding events there. Maybe we can talk to Harry and build a permanent sign at the range, I will be the first to volunteer for the project if we are allowed to post one. I think a big painted wooden sign would be the way to go....
"It is not yet too late to accommodate the dispute amicably. But I am of opinion, that, if once General Gage should lead his troops into the country, with design to enforce the late Acts of Parliament, Great Britain may take her leave, at least of the New-England colonies, and, if I mistake not, of all America. If there is any wisdom in the nation, God grant it may be speedily called forth!"
- written in a letter from Joseph Warren to Arthur Lee, 20 February 1775