News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Youth stock modification.

Started by mikaldulee, October 10, 2010, 06:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikaldulee

Hey folks.  I need help with cutting down a Ruger 10/22 stock for a youth.  I have looked at the ones on the market and the CFO of the family has said...NO.  Secondly I noticed how handy Thursdays spare youth stock was at the DeSoto shoot...We could have used one more.  Well since I have a wood stock from one sitting on the shelf, I want to modify it. 

Where do I cut it?

nemohunter

assuming it's a carbine stock remove the but plate and cut it right there where the inlet stops. seal it up and slap some skate board tape on it.
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

thursday

I cut mine down to some thing like 12.5'' trigger pull.
if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad

MacMcM

Save the cutoff chunk to glue back on when the "yute" grows in the arm dept!
" 'Cuz truly, at the end of the day - the piece of cloth means nothing.  It's who is standing beside you." West
"If I thought even for a second that it was impossible I would be doing other things." GopherBoy

mikaldulee

Thanks, nemohunter.  It is an old carbine stock I replaced with a synthetic one last year.  That sounds like the easy way.  MacM, it's a spare, but not a bad idea anyway...assuming I don't bugger up the cut.

Thursday, is that where you measure from the inside crook of their elbow to the palm?  Also, yours was cut at an angle.  Any reason?

Ladywolf

Thanks for this info. We figured out that I need a youth-sized rifle to fit my short arms.  If we can't find a good deal anytime soon, this might work on our Rueger (that is if hubby will go for sawing up his gun  ;D).
"If you don't use it, you lose it."

nemohunter

just tell him your taking over. simple as that. of coure the other side is HE will need a new rifle to fill the open hole :D
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

SamD

When making a 'yute" sized stock you need to do more than just chop off butt.

#1 Chop off butt
#2 relieve the rear and sides of the pistol grip and the lower wrist of the stock to allow short fingers to reach the trigger.
#3 slim down the forend to match small hands and short fingers,  round it, leave no flat on the bottom
#4 move the front sling swivel 2-2 1/2" to the rear to keep the angle right fore best sling use